Hog Killer photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a book recommended to me a while back called "On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by former Ranger and paratrooper, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman . It talks about the psychological impact of taking a human life and many of the common misconceptions. Basically killing with a firearm it is easier to distance yourself from the act. The closer the target the harder this becomes. At close quarter range (knife range) disassociating becomes impossible, to the person committing the act and others who witness it or the results there of. While killing an animal has significantly less emotional impact, we can’t help but feel empathy to some degree. Even though killing the hog with the knife was quicker and maybe in the end less painful, it’s still viewed as “worse” than a bloodless gunshot wound. Even though slowly dying may have caused more pain and suffering.
I understand why l2lku2 was so upset by the photo and story, seems to me though that the hog was killed within seconds no matter how you look at it.

Well, I don't think a tusk is any match to a super-sonic projectile that can penetrate through a body like it was a spear either, but since when was it about good sportsmanship?

See, this is where I'm having trouble understanding the idea of it being "humane". Does anyone think that a bullet traveling at that kind of velocity through a body is painless? Even if you get an animal in the heart, the only thing saving it from horrible pain is shock. I'm not a biologist, but I'm fairly sure that with wounds the size of those on the hogs, they were in shock and running completely on adrenaline and had a very similar death in regards to pain as they would to a bullet to the chest cavity. The difference is that a bullet immediately destroys their vital organs, and takes them down "faster" by actually debilitating them. There's less of a struggle, and so it seems more humane.

I believe someone mentioned reforming the way to execute our prisoner's to that of China. I'm not really in favor of the Chinese, but I have always thought that a bullet through the brain is much more "humane" than a gas chamber or lethal injection. It's gruesome and gory though, and so people see it as "cruel" or "bizarre". Yet some how suffocating a man with gas, or stopping their vital organs individually with chemicals is better in their eyes. The idea that it's "painless"; I'm pretty sure your nervous system cannot work fast enough for you to feel pain when a slug rips through your head at several thousand feet per second. On the other hand, what if that chemical they gave you to knock you out before they stop your lungs doesn't work, and you sit there conscious while suffocating?

Anyway, I'm diverging from my point. People think the gas or lethal injection is "humane" because it's uneventful, it's not gory, and it's not offensive to the people doing the killing. You shoot someone in the head, they're likely going to squirm around on the ground a bit as their nervous system has just been significantly altered, and it's a very disturbing sight; same thing when you kill any animal in any violent way to any other vital organ--the body will react. On the other hand though, when you watch someone breathe in a gas and then suddenly they're dead without so much as a peep, it all the sudden seems "painless" and "humane". To whom? The person being executed, or the people watching? How do you know that the entire time they're suffocating they're not aware of it? In the case of lethal injection, the body wouldn't even be able to go into shock for the person to cope.

It was about sportsmanship when there was a healthy number of hogs living in Texas. Now they are EVERYWHERE- they cause accidents, ruin crops, destroy fencing and raise havoc with livestock. If you've ever spent time in Texas, you know how huge ranching is when it comes to everyday life-they are massive disturbances. Do you use sportsman like techniques when fighting a fly infestation in your house? No, you hang up toxic flypaper to kill them en masse. We have a huge issue with wolves right now in Idaho. I personally think that wolves are amazing, beautiful creatures, but our moose population was wiped out-we officially have NO moose population in Idaho thanks to the wolves-2 years ago there was a healthy one. The Elk, sheep and deer herds are also suffering, and PETA is trying to draft legislation to prevent shooting the wolves. Entire domestic herds have been killed for sport, and people still refuse that there is any sort of problem. I'd be negligent to not advocate the slaughter of wolves, considering their current population. Most of these ecological issues are man-made-we introduced 120 pound timberwolves to Idaho, and now we are paying the price. Ferral hogs at one point were escaped domesticated pigs, and now they grow to 750 pound monsters and dominate the Texas countryside. We caused these issues, and now we have to deal with them-sportsmanlike or not.

In my home county in Wisconsin last year, three whitetail bucks were taken with more than 30 points, and 200+ pounds. Farmers plant rows in their corn and place salt blocks in the middle so that they can take trophy corn fed bucks without having to leave their front porch. To me that isn't even hunting... but society considers it 'sportsmanlike' so...

Nobody's saying that dying is humane, or there's any way to prevent suffering. Instead we're saying the exact opposite-it is the norm, it is expected. EVERYONE is going to suffer some extent when it comes to killing. But it's also a necessary fact of life-everything dies, it's inevitable. We have to kill to eat, defend ourselves and protect our crops and animal herds. You have to get over it, accomplish the task and move on. Thank God for grocery stores, huh?

Holy crap. 242 posts in 2 days! Is that a record?

Love your carry setup with the ruck and knife. Brilliant. This thread may push me over the edge in getting a Junglas. :D

as I said...microsuck, you can have a spot in my foxhole anytime.
those screenshots are great.

A wonderful testament to both the Junglas and what it took to use it!!

I think what impresses me most about this thread is that for as long as its gone on, most everyone, even with highly differing opinions have remained very civil. That's extremely refreshing to see on an internet forum. Says a lot about the ESEE community and Bladeforums for that matter.

I don't really have a stake in this one. I wasn't there when Microsuck took the hogs down. If he said he was in a position that he needed to use his Junglas to take the hogs down, then I believe him. Those who've never encountered wild pigs/boars will truly never understand how tenacious these animals can be. He was there to do a job and he got it done, that's the way I see it.

Those who have a problem with how the job was done, I can see their point of view and respect it, and I'll leave it at that.

proof2.jpg

proof4.jpg

proof1.jpg

proof3.jpg

proof6.jpg

proof5.jpg

proof7.jpg
Down in less than a min. Seems like a quick death to me.

Nope, that's not seconds, that's minutes. It took him a solid half hour to get through that hog.:eek:

I'm laffin' my butt off. This has been an awesome thread. I stayed out of it, but read every word of it, from start to finish. Andrew/microsuck, good job, I commend you for it. I wish I could have gotten in on the "gotta go" sale of ESEE's (damn). The Junglas is a big ol' asswhooper, and thanks showing us your stuff. Once again, I applaud your composure through all this, and your skill with a blade. Moose

YOU WILL NOT REGRET it. lol. Hey Jeff, would it be possible to get a custom Junglas twice lengthed? Not very functional, but would be fun to have :D hahaha....man I am already thinking of its uses....normal junglas is awesome, but was a thought mowed in my head, would it cost me the price of TWO junglas to have a length like that made? :D ? pleaseeeeeee hahaha. Now I need to find some hogs...or zombies lol.
oh, yeah!
a Jaeger Junglas!
start out at 1/4" stock in the handle and distal taper that baby so it balances about 2-3" in front of the handle... might need some extra steel on the butt end - maybe a hammer pommel.

These shot's remind me of a scene that happened here 4 month's ago. A group of six were in the pasture. I grabbed my 12 gauge with 000 Buckshot and handed my son my Ruger 10/22. We did a stalk and got into position. I cut loose and emptied the 12 gauge and had 3 on the ground. 2 were killed outright and a big sow with a broke back was screaming trying to drag herself off. The three hogs that were not shot, ran off, then one of them suddenly stopped, turned around, and headed back toward the sow and me. I dispached the sow with a .22 bullet to the brain. The black boar came in with his jaws chopping and there was no doubt of his intentions. I killed him with a single shot to the brain at just a couple feet away. There was no fence to hinder his movements, and could flee in several directions, he made a choice to come back instead of fleeing. These hogs are very unpredictable. I stand behind my original statement that the poster did what he felt was right in the situation. Great pics, and again, Congrats on your successful hunt! :thumbup:

These shot's remind me of a scene that happened here 4 month's ago. A group of six were in the pasture. I grabbed my 12 gauge with 000 Buckshot and handed my son my Ruger 10/22. We did a stalk and got into position. I cut loose and emptied the 12 gauge and had 3 on the ground. 2 were killed outright and a big sow with a broke back was screaming trying to drag herself off. The three hogs that were not shot, ran off, then one of them suddenly stopped, turned around, and headed back toward the sow and me. I dispached the sow with a .22 bullet to the brain. The black boar came in with his jaws chopping and there was no doubt of his intentions. I killed him with a single shot to the brain at just a couple feet away. There was no fence to hinder his movements, and could flee in several directions, he made a choice to come back instead of fleeing. These hogs are very unpredictable. I stand behind my original statement that the poster did what he felt was right in the situation. Great pics, and again, Congrats on your successful hunt! :thumbup:

You sick bastard......

:D

This is the bare minimum I'd feel safe hunting hogs around here with.

2674-military_m1a1_abrams_wallpaper.jpg

that's it... i've had it.... i'm selling all of my tanks. chopping a pig down to size is one thing but hunting porky with a tank is over the line and i take great issue with the practice.

you sick people should be ashamed of yourselves. pigs have feelings you know.

While extremely skeptical to begin with, after seeing the video pics I'm man enough to admit when I'm mistaken. You know what they say though, 'if you ain't got pics, it did'nt happen!' That takes hog hunting to a whole different level! microsuck, my hat's off to you!

A job well done thats what i got to say, when WE goin again?LOL. Oh hell wait i dont have a Junglas, yet!!!!! I guess its time to bust down and get er done.:D

Microsuck AKA Andrew...

Please submit a design to Mike and Jeff for what you feel would be the perfect knife for dispatching hogs (assuming the Junglas isn't perfect already), and we will call it the ESEE HK (Hog Killer).

And I second Lazerboy 2000's comment to put the video on photobucket and put it here. Awesome story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back