How many carry a fixed blade all the time?

I almost always carry my lightly modified TOPS Tactical Steak Knife under my shirt, in a homemade paracord rig. When I'm not, it's usually because my Ronin is taking up that space, or because I have my Cold Steel Braveheart on my belt. I consider these 'emergency only' knives, so they don't see much use. I'd like to get some more utility fixed blades.

Boker Tom Krein PSK. I'm expecting a Michael Morris EDC60 most any day now that will probably replace the Boker.

Managed to misplace my Izula :( but anywhere I go I have at least one fixed blade in each of my packs. Today I've got the laptop bag with me (Maxpedition MPB) and I've got a CS Bushman with stripped coating and cord wrap tucked in one of the vertical bucket pockets.

I always have at least 2 on me everyday.

I use to carry a folder, but once I got the ESKabar (BK14) I started carrying that thing everyday, and it grew into more. :D

A Buck 102 (Woodsman) in a BladeTec sheath rides on my boot every working day. If I lose it in the river I have a spare at home. If I lose the spare I just pop into the nearest store and buy another. No muss, no fuss, no hot tears of regret.

Lots of Izula love in this thread. I carry an izula in the man bag for the stuff that I don't want to beat up my folder on. so far I've been getting used to not carrying locking knives, so its been saks and slippies. I used to carry a griptillian, but with my pending move to a less locking blade friendly nation, I figured I'd fully switch. I'm thinking of getting something in a more rust resistant steel for fishing, but not really sure that it is necessary, a good fresh-water soak takes care of the the cord-wrap. I don't usually need it, but it goes with everything else in the man bag that I "don't usually" need.

I always carry one of my smaller fixed blades by various makers and producers. I also have a Case Soddy Jr and a small Leatherman on me at all times. It's an illness, I know.

here's a pic of one of the knives I EDC, and what I'm carrying it in now.

DSC08839.jpg

DSC08860.jpg

Oh yeah, pics. I'm in. This is my latest EDC, courtesy of Andy Sharpe at Sharpe Knives. 1095 and yellow G10 with a glass break pommel. I'm digging it.

yellow 002.jpg

For those who do edc a fixed blade, how many of you have small children?

I have a couple little fixed blades I would carry, but I'm worried about safety around little ones. When they're older, they'll know better, but if heaven forbid they get a hold of a folder, at least they physically can't get it open right now.

(All my fixed blades are locked up in a cabinet unless I'm carrying one in the field.)

I have a couple little fixed blades I would carry, but I'm worried about safety around little ones. When they're older, they'll know better, but if heaven forbid they get a hold of a folder, at least they physically can't get it open right now.

(All my fixed blades are locked up in a cabinet unless I'm carrying one in the field.)

I have little ones and it has never been an issue for me. It's no different than anything else that I carry concealed. It's all about personal responsibility, nothing else. They have never tried to "take" one of my knives from me, fixed or otherwise. I'm not sure that I understand how they could. A child is more likely to pick up a knife that is lying around rather than getting one off an individual’s person. As you indicated in your post, you don't leave them lying around, so I’m sure that’s not an issue. Just be careful that you don’t create mystery around your knives. Mystery begets curiosity and curiosity may lead to them sneaking around trying to play with your knives, as they grow older. That’s just my perspective based on my experience. It really is a personal choice. Good luck.

Chop,

I don't have kids personally, but I have a lot of little buddies and or adopted nieces/nephews. I've never had a problem. I've carried Izula, Izula II, ESEE-4, BHK Boattail Scandi, Kellam Aito Puukko, and an ML Kephart (that I can think of) while playing with and totally horsing around little ones. Never had a little one reach for a blade, and if they did, its time to swat some hands. :D

Be safe and God bless,
Adam

EDIT: A nice deep sheath like on the BHK Boattail Scandi or the likes of the ML Kephart Sheath, are easily the best, the BHK being slightly better IMHO (less for the wee ones to get their hands on.) Also, just teach kids responsibililty. They are much smarter than we give them credit. And if you are willing to tell them "No" and let them know you mean it, they'll learn quickly.

Wooly Bugger is right. No mystery, no curiosity. My kids grew up around knives and guns to the point that when my girls were dating they thought that boys who didn't have guns or knives or didn't hunt or fish were...less than manly. I got a call out of the blue one evening from my youngest girl. Her husband was cleaning a gun and the smell of Hoppe's No.9 made her think of me. She just called to say, "I love you, Daddy." Kinda brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it.

I pack a HEST, Paklite Skinner. BK11. Dave Farmer Real Deal or Bromley necker along with a Vic Spartan everywhere I go. If I'll be on a trailhead I'll switch out the Spartan for a Huntsman.

Fixed blade carry is prefered. I carry one my own on my leather belt when wearing jeans and use suspenders to hold it all up. But I also spend alot of time wearing a housecoat, so I have a kydex sheath that I clip to my housecoat pocket, and that knife sees alot of use.

All of my EDU fixed blades are in Kydex, so they're not falling out by accident. My kids are almost 4 (twins) and I've been carrying a fixed blade since they were 1. My knives are smaller, 8" total maximum. My wife once gave me a deserved ragging for leaving my pants w/ blade on belt, lying on the floor when I take my showers. Now I hang my pants on a hook when showering and there's no problem. My kids see me use my knife for everything and I've been priming them since they could talk about knife safety. I still don't leave any sitting about.

I've got an 18-month old and just keep all my sharp stuff behind doors, in drawers, or on shelves.

I carry a fixed blade the vast majority of the time, but also usually have a folder. The one exception being at the courthouse when I go in to pay taxes, get tags, or research deeds and such where I can't legally have a knife of any kind.

Carrying a fixed blade or locking knife here is a prisonable offense........

Nuff said??
Slipjoint in the pocket

So, is this a no fixed/locking period thing, or as in the UK where you must have a reasonable need for having it at the time?

Thanks for all of the comments, guys.

I have little ones and it has never been an issue for me. It's no different than anything else that I carry concealed. It's all about personal responsibility, nothing else. They have never tried to "take" one of my knives from me, fixed or otherwise. I'm not sure that I understand how they could. A child is more likely to pick up a knife that is lying around rather than getting one off an individual’s person. As you indicated in your post, you don't leave them lying around, so I’m sure that’s not an issue. Just be careful that you don’t create mystery around your knives. Mystery begets curiosity and curiosity may lead to them sneaking around trying to play with your knives, as they grow older. That’s just my perspective based on my experience. It really is a personal choice. Good luck.
Like you say, I'm not worried about them taking it from me, just me leaving it lying around on accident.

The mystery thing is a good point. My daughter is almost 2, and very curious. She sees me use the knife and wants to use it too. When she's old enough to understand, we'll get her using one, and I'm confident she will make good decisions.

Chop,

I don't have kids personally, but I have a lot of little buddies and or adopted nieces/nephews. I've never had a problem. I've carried Izula, Izula II, ESEE-4, BHK Boattail Scandi, Kellam Aito Puukko, and an ML Kephart (that I can think of) while playing with and totally horsing around little ones. Never had a little one reach for a blade, and if they did, its time to swat some hands. :D

Be safe and God bless,
Adam

EDIT: A nice deep sheath like on the BHK Boattail Scandi or the likes of the ML Kephart Sheath, are easily the best, the BHK being slightly better IMHO (less for the wee ones to get their hands on.) Also, just teach kids responsibililty. They are much smarter than we give them credit. And if you are willing to tell them "No" and let them know you mean it, they'll learn quickly.
Yeah, she's reached for the pocket clip when I've been laying on the floor, and we've had that discussion. I guess I'm just thinking out loud.

That's a good idea on the sheath. I did make myself a deeper pocket sheath for my edc fixed blade. I'll definitely be using that one instead of the one I originally got.

Wooly Bugger is right. No mystery, no curiosity. My kids grew up around knives and guns to the point that when my girls were dating they thought that boys who didn't have guns or knives or didn't hunt or fish were...less than manly. I got a call out of the blue one evening from my youngest girl. Her husband was cleaning a gun and the smell of Hoppe's No.9 made her think of me. She just called to say, "I love you, Daddy." Kinda brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it.
Ahhh... I'm gettin all misty over here. :D Seriously, though, that's a great story! Little girls will get you like that. Very heart warming. :thumbup:

All of my EDU fixed blades are in Kydex, so they're not falling out by accident. My kids are almost 4 (twins) and I've been carrying a fixed blade since they were 1. My knives are smaller, 8" total maximum. My wife once gave me a deserved ragging for leaving my pants w/ blade on belt, lying on the floor when I take my showers. Now I hang my pants on a hook when showering and there's no problem. My kids see me use my knife for everything and I've been priming them since they could talk about knife safety. I still don't leave any sitting about.
Yeah, I have 3 under 2 yrs old. A girl and twin boys. I always empty my pockets at night and when I shower, but they're gonna be tough to keep an eye on when they get older. I'll just have to be careful about where I leave them, and keep teaching how we use knives safely.

I've got an 18-month old and just keep all my sharp stuff behind doors, in drawers, or on shelves.
That's where I am right now also. I had a scare the other day when I rocked my daughter to sleep and my phone fell out in the rocking chair. I didn't realize it was missing until she brought it to me the next day. That put me on high alert about my pocket knife.

Back