Hunting season 2012/2013

what a great story and a great experience. as i said above...very happy for you stan.

can i ask why you used the PSK Sr. for the gutting and the UNK for the rest of the prepwork? i know you said for "comparison purposes". i am just curious why you chose one over the other. i am guessing both could do the job. would love to hear your thoughts.

i have a UNK and i have been gawking at the PSK. i will have to look at the PSK Sr., as well.

Again...thanks for the pics and words. congrats Stan.

Congratulations Stan, sounds like you had a good time. Bet that stew was good too.

can i ask why you used the PSK Sr. for the gutting and the UNK for the rest of the prepwork? i know you said for "comparison purposes". i am just curious why you chose one over the other. i am guessing both could do the job. would love to hear your thoughts.

I had the PSK SR on me when the doe fell thus I used it. When we returned to the barn Scott suggested I try his UNK to compare. As I have never before gutted, skinned, or butchered an animal the biggest thing that stuck out me to me was how depth of cut is much easier to control using the tip of the UNK than with the PSK SR. The key in the process was to cut what you need to cut while sparing everything else which may result in spilling of stomach or bladder contents etc. With the UNK, because of the modified sheepsfoot design, it is much easier to do that.

Does that make sense?

If you have a UNK I would suggest that you don't need a PSK or PSK SR. Hell now I want a UNK myself!

Congratulations Stan, sounds like you had a good time. Bet that stew was good too.

Thank you! The stew was good and I took the rest of it to work today which won me some points with the co-workers.

-Stan

I had the PSK SR on me when the doe fell thus I used it. When we returned to the barn Scott suggested I try his UNK to compare. As I have never before gutted, skinned, or butchered an animal the biggest thing that stuck out me to me was how depth of cut is much easier to control using the tip of the UNK than with the PSK SR. The key in the process was to cut what you need to cut while sparing everything else which may result in spilling of stomach or bladder contents etc. With the UNK, because of the modified sheepsfoot design, it is much easier to do that.

Does that make sense?

If you have a UNK I would suggest that you don't need a PSK or PSK SR. Hell now I want a UNK myself!

yes, it does. thanks stan.

Here's the spike dropped in it's tracks at 160 yds.
Scott

spike.jpg

spike2.jpg

spike3.jpg

Thank you all for the congratulations and kind comments.

Here is me posing with the spike buck. I chuckle as I see how hunting has re-purposed some of my military gear.

-Stan

Presentation1_zpsf75ca3f7.jpg

my son happened to be around when i got back with a duck today. so, he grabbed my phone and got a couple shots. i haven't found much the UNK can't do.

8129056102_5edbb07aac_b.jpg

8129030415_b8bf98fe8b_b.jpg

Today was opening day of fall shotgun turkey season. Dad and I went this morning, and by 10:00 had two turkeys riding home in the back of the truck. Guess, we only hunted about an hour and a half. We walked up on a recently planted wheat field and ambushed a group of hens. I forgot my camera, so photos are on moms camera. I'll try and post pics later when I get them off my email.

TPVT- congrats on the ducks, seems your taking up hunting pretty successfully.

Went bowhunting tonight.I saw 5 deer all does.Was really windy 25 mph with gust to 40 mph.At 1845 I had a big doe broad side at 10 yards.I shot her through both lungs and watched her drop within 40 yards.I had picked up some Rocket expandables on clearance last year for 7 bucks.Let me tell you the blood trail was awesome and it went through the off side leg.That is 2 for me so far I only have one tag left then I will have to wait till next October.

Tagged out for fall shotgun turkey today, a little after 3. Got a heads up from dad about a group of turkeys in a pasture field and the direction they were traveling. Managed to sneak up almost on top of them.

IMG_3194-1.jpg

While crossing a drain I had a little 4pt. walk within 15 yards of me- managed to get a poor cell phone photo.

2012-10-290900291.jpg

It's been windy here lately, so all you folks closer to Sandy are probably really feeling it. It's still good to be out in the woods even with the cold and wind, now to wait for deer season.

Back