IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT, WHAT KNIFE WOULD YOU BUY???

Aaron, would you sharpen it? They come from Juergen butter knife dull! Notice the lack of secondary bevel in the photo.

Hey STeven. No, since money is no object here, I'd just pay Juergen enough to convince him to sharpen it himself. :)

Once upon a time I had more disposable income and could have bought some very expensive knives but they weren't my "grail". I like the simpler, sometimes harder to obtain knives. I'm fortunate to have five Loveless knives, all double edge. And as you can see in my avatar, my favorite maker Jimmy Fikes, it's taken over 20 years but I have a nice collection of his pieces. The best of all is a Jungle Honey, really rare.

Rockstead Higo-JH-ZDP Honzukuri

ab5c1d45ed5827e532d4c2666420c9284849a1f7.jpg
I own some of the best knives available since the 1970's. I have the Randal's, Microtech Autos, Chris Reeves (just about all their fixed and folders), Benchmade, High-end Spyderco's by the dozen. I have just about everything one could imagine and love them very much. But, there is nothing that has ever come close to the Rockstead Shu folding pocket knife, in ZDP-189. This is simply the grail folder. I'm not going to spend a whole bunch of time trying to explain it because it has to be experienced. The photos are terrific and inspiring, but the actual tool in hand it the clincher. If you are a Pocket knife and blade enthusiast, take out a loan, charge it on your credit card, but hopefully pay cash for a Rockstead. I have the Shu Model, and this is the top of the line--bar none.

I own some of the best knives available since the 1970's. I have the Randal's, Microtech Autos, Chris Reeves (just about all their fixed and folders), Benchmade, High-end Spyderco's by the dozen. I have just about everything one could imagine and love them very much. But, there is nothing that has ever come close to the Rockstead Shu folding pocket knife, in ZDP-189. This is simply the grail folder. I'm not going to spend a whole bunch of time trying to explain it because it has to be experienced. The photos are terrific and inspiring, but the actual tool in hand it the clincher. If you are a Pocket knife and blade enthusiast, take out a loan, charge it on your credit card, but hopefully pay cash for a Rockstead. I have the Shu Model, and this is the top of the line--bar none.

This is the custom forum, those are all production knives. Which Custom Knife would you want if money was no object? I haven't found it yet :)

This is the custom forum, those are all production knives. Which Custom Knife would you want if money was no object? I haven't found it yet :)

A Custom & Handmade Forum. The amount of hand finishing that goes into a Rockstead blade is astonishing. Each knife is individually inspected and serialized. I know that they produce less than two "Model Shu" knives per month.

As OP states, that money is no object, Id buy a certain small obscure out-of-the-way museum for this knife, which sits in a display case in a corner of the museum - the knife looks even better up close and personal (no photography allowed in museum hence stock photo);

tKZdCTk.jpg

Last edited:
Mike Mann Hudson Bay Knife, CRK sebenza and one of his hollow handled fixed blades from years ago. Not into art knives, as beautiful as they are, but something I can still admire and use hard.

I would love a Viking Dagger with Curly maple handle & Sheath and Silver Wire inlay from A.G. "Barney" Barnes. A Big Ivory handled Damascus Dagger from Jay Hendrickson, and a Bill Moran ST-24!

Steve
----------
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
ABS Apprentice

A Custom & Handmade Forum. The amount of hand finishing that goes into a Rockstead blade is astonishing. Each knife is individually inspected and serialized. I know that they produce less than two "Model Shu" knives per month.
This is from the website Knifecenter of the Internet:
"Rockstead Knives are, in our opinion, some of the best production knives available on the market. With Rockstead's meticulous craftsmanship and unique designs, this semi-custom folder is worth the premium price...."

While I appreciate your appreciation of your knife, it is no more custom or handmade than a William-Henry or CRK.

Price does not change the definition of how a knife is created.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I would buy enough olamic’s to fill up my gun safe. Then buy another safe and fill it up with les george customs

This is from the website Knifecenter of the Internet:
"Rockstead Knives are, in our opinion, some of the best production knives available on the market. With Rockstead's meticulous craftsmanship and unique designs, this semi-custom folder is worth the premium price...."

While I appreciate your appreciation of your knife, it is no more custom or handmade than a William-Henry or CRK.

Price does not change the definition of how a knife is created.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
Yes, Rockstead self-identifies that they are a production knife, so that's settled. I never said that price was the defining characteristic for a custom or handmade knife. What I did say was that the amount of handwork and specialized craftsmanship that goes into polishing a Rockstead blade is beyond what any production knife usually gets--hence the cost. Even the custom makers use modern tools and technology such as CNC machines, electric engravers, etc.. My point is that the delineation between custom/handmade and a production knife is getting narrow, particularly on exclusive, low-production, specialty niche' market knives.

I am going to revise my previous rambling non-answer. It is now a Bagwell Bowie. Maybe a Fisk. Learning can be a terrible thing! ;)

$ no object? easy -- Jim Schmidt dagger!! However, a good condition original authentic Michael Price dagger would fill the bill (right up to the water line) very nicely.

I am a fantasy buff so the "Veil of Tears" by Virgil England and the "St. George Axe" by Gil Hibben would be at the top of the list. Also a ninja sword from Scott Slobodian would be nice. Though if money was really no issue I would have specific makers create versions of certain fantasy weapons from some of my favorite novels.

Back