Impressed by new ZT models

hello,

I make this post to share some experience.
ZT was the brand that introduce me to “serious” knives.
Before I got my first 0350 my life with knives was all about SAK, Opinel a and cheap imitations of buck knives.

For some years I have been a lot into te ZT “built as a tank” thing :)
I had some excellent experience with ZT but for 2 or 3 years I have to admit I have been disappointed ... or at least much less excited by any ZT releases

I still consider my 0350, 0550 and 0630 to be some hall of fame knives but most as been discountinued and the even if I like my 0562 and 0801 a lot I have moved to different knife nd of knives now

However, I like to keep an eyes on ZT because even if i not into their new “almost built as a tank” stuff :) I am still a fan of their machining expertise and good fit and finish.... IMO they know how to make a detent!

So today I have walked into a knife store and decided to make a tour of the 2018 ZT knives.... pffffffff! What an experience.
I have been very pleased to have my hands on their knives.

The 2 that impressed me most have been the 0393 and the 0640.
IMO the 0640 is one of the best ZT made since years. I have moved to CRK and I have what I need in this same of knives but seriously th detent is amazing, the ergonomics are great for me and it carry very well for such a large my blade
In person the green CF is fine, I think that with a standard or white cf it will look much more classy but really not a deal breaker considering the size and purpose this kind of knife has
Action and lock up are great.
Just need to take $30 for a new clip the one it is fitted with just make no sense
I like Emerson designs, they are real tactical knives and the 0640 has this to it. With more classic CF it will have been a James Bond in tuxedo... classy and deadly ;)
With the green cf it is more like a nice jeans knife to use on the week end or at work if you don’t work in an office

The 0393 is a different story. I had my eyes on this one for a couple of eeeks now and I was thinking to buy it to replace my 0562. I have never been a fan of the 0562, the handle ergonomics is good only in the saber grip, the grind doesn’t make it a great EDC and the deep carry is nice but really doesn’t make much sense with this knife IMO
The 0562 is a work knife, the knives nd of knife you cut cardboard and rope with, great for outdoor use in fat. But in this kind of applications you need a good access to the knife rather than a deep carry :(
But nevertheless, for those whose religion forbid anything else than deep carry :), it has to be of the best deep carry clip I have tested
But still, the classy look of the 0562 with nice deep carry was bugging me considering the poor edc it make with a thick blade behind the edge, a poor blade geometry for food prep or basic edc use, and overall weight (not a brick but still not a feather either... or an heavy feather indeed)
They 0393 was knife to have in hand for comparison with my 0562

I think it shall be an even poorer slicer but at least that is consistant with the other features of the knife
In my hand the ergonomics feel better, but that is subjective
The action is smoother and the blade stops can really be used as thumb studs
This make the knife more “fidget-able” than the 0562
I had the opportunity to compare it to a Vox Fortis and the 0393 is stellar in comparison (in term of action)
The black and blue pattern looks nice... let say it is already pimped and the overlays look good for me

But what surprised me much was the action. IMO the best flipper I have tested.
Even compared to my 0801 or my massdrop gent which are both great flippers

I wanted to share my experience since I have been very impressed

I decided to order a 0393 and I should get one by the end of the week or early next week (prices were high in the store I visited).
I may take some pictures and share them here as well as some thoughts after a longer période of use

Actually i don’t like the look of them much. That is only personal taste of course, but I have moved to more basic and casual knives over the last 3 years.
After my “heavy duty brick” period I am now more on the functional edc kind of knives... I am getting older that’s not good ;).

But for sure they make great knives.
As I am not anymore looking for a grail edc, I have found mines, I am fine with experiencing something less conventional.
I am very excited to receive the 0393 and start trying some work with it.

I will have some comparison to do.
First with my older ZTs for sure, but also with my GB2 which is my work knife when I have to do things around the house.
They are 2 completely different kind of knives and there is no real comparison to make their, but I will see if I can use it as easily as I use my GB2

Funny. Everyone has different taste and preferences.

I've got about 30 ZTs. I hate the design of the 0393 but would love to get an 0392 for the "right" price, see no point in buying a 0640 (or any Emerson) w/o a wave feature and the 0562 (which was my 1st ZT) is still one of my favorites.

Among my other current favorites are the 0200, 0400, 0452CF and 0850.

In my opinion, the last great ZT was the 0560. They have been regressing from hard use practical knives since then. My "favorite" brand hasn't had anything worth buying in years. Guess it says about how they're more collectors then guys who use their knives.

For me its the 0180, 0200, 0300, 0560, 0620/30. I like the 0450, 0452, 0562. Different style tools.

In my opinion, the last great ZT was the 0560. They have been regressing from hard use practical knives since then. My "favorite" brand hasn't had anything worth buying in years. Guess it says about how they're more collectors then guys who use their knives.

They’ve actually released better cutters of late than they had previously. As a person who uses my folders quite a bit at work, I appreciate that. It made me buy two this year, after having ignored them for four years.

They’ve actually released better cutters of late than they had previously. As a person who uses my folders quite a bit at work, I appreciate that. It made me buy two this year, after having ignored them for four years.
Yet, they're still supbar slicers to many of the competition (spyderco, benchmade etc.) And they gave up what made them unique, so they have no competitive advantage anymore.

Yet, they're still supbar slicers to many of the competition (spyderco, benchmade etc.) And they gave up what made them unique, so they have no competitive advantage anymore.

What made them unique before is what made them poor users for most people who use folders on a frequent basis. Thick stock, with insufficient primary grinds, leading to them being thick behind the edge and not great even if the consumer were to set a more aggressive secondary bevel.

The 0609 and 0470 are surprisingly well rounded users.

In my use, I cut a lot of cardboard and plastic straps at work

Toam1jo.jpg

cX6zLBj.jpg

VRkXpDI.jpg

(our bailer is too small for our volume, and that is about 2’ of depth, so “just fold it” doesn’t work with things bound by carpentry staples and commercial adhesive)

as well as zip ties on secure freight crates

nRenooC.jpg

jdgu6nV.jpg

and other things that pop up

LCMgRFf.jpg

RyLnj0V.jpg

So, for my purposes, a mix of strength at the apex and cutting performance is ideal. The 0609 and 0470 can pop zip ties all day and still cut very well. I haven’t bothered to take the edge back on either of them. They’ve been great out of box.

Certainly far better than the ZTs of old, like my 0562 or 0550.

What made them unique before is what made them poor users for most people who use folders on a frequent basis. Thick stock, with insufficient primary grinds, leading to them being thick behind the edge and not great even if the consumer were to set a more aggressive secondary bevel.

The 0609 and 0470 are surprisingly well rounded users.

In my use, I cut a lot of cardboard and plastic straps at work

Toam1jo.jpg

cX6zLBj.jpg

VRkXpDI.jpg

(our bailer is too small for our volume, and that is about 2’ of depth, so “just fold it” doesn’t work with things bound by carpentry staples and commercial adhesive)

as well as zip ties on secure freight crates

nRenooC.jpg

jdgu6nV.jpg

and other things that pop up

LCMgRFf.jpg

RyLnj0V.jpg

So, for my purposes, a mix of strength at the apex and cutting performance is ideal. The 0609 and 0470 can pop zip ties all day and still cut very well. I haven’t bothered to take the edge back on either of them. They’ve been great out of box.

Certainly far better than the ZTs of old, like my 0562 or 0550.
My point exactly, based on your description of what you use your knives for primarily, you weren't the intended user for the original ZT knives. I never found ZT 0301 or 0560 bad/unusable slicers, in their intended role.

030778ED-FA46-4ECF-A58D-21CFB929E6C6.jpeg IMO the 0640 is one of the best ZT made since years. I have moved to CRK and I have what I need in this same of knives but seriously th detent is amazing, the ergonomics are great for me and it carry very well for such a large my blade

Action and lock up are great.

This is exactly how I feel about the 0640 . Bought a bunch of knives last year and this ZT is tops . I actually traded for it . And I did because I liked the way the blade looked . But to my surprise this is the best ZT since the 0550 . And for the price is actually a great buy .

Last edited:
ZT 456cf is #1 for me followed closely by 470. All the rest I really have no interest in but I do admit they make phenomenal knives. I need to get backup of each of mine.

The 640 is on my list. I still plan on picking up my first Sebbie this year, but if I stumble across the 640 at the LGS, I may bite.

Zt built like a tank. Thats what got me. I grabbed one of my spydercos when i needa slicer.

ZT hasn't recently put anything out (in regular production) that has caught my eye except for the 0456... Which I ended up getting rid of because the flipper tab hit my hand when closing it. The last ZT I had that I really enjoyed carrying and using was an 0561.

I'm still holding out hope for something like a 3.75-4" Emerson CQC-12 with a beveled and exaggerated swedge, but that's a bit of a pipe dream. I'd settle for a full-size 0777 in 20CV.

My point exactly, based on your description of what you use your knives for primarily, you weren't the intended user for the original ZT knives. I never found ZT 0301 or 0560 bad/unusable slicers, in their intended role.

You said that the newer ZTs were made for collectors, “not people who use their knives”. That is what drew my interest in your comment.

Frankly, I think you’re almost perfectly backward here.

Among those of us who use our knives, I’d wager that a far greater number of us find an 0609, 0470, 0566, etc better suited to use than an 0560. That would indicate that ZT was moving in the right direction. Especially since they’ve also added wins like the 0640 for those who benefit from washers and thick stock.

You said that the newer ZTs were made for collectors, “not people who use their knives”. That is what drew my interest in your comment.

Frankly, I think you’re almost perfectly backward here.

Among those of us who use our knives, I’d wager that a far greater number of us find an 0609, 0470, 0566, etc better suited to use than an 0560. That would indicate that ZT was moving in the right direction. Especially since they’ve also added wins like the 0640 for those who benefit from washers and thick stock.
I may of been overly hyperbolic with the collectors comment, but I do think they left the hard use market.We will have to disagree. The 0609 it is artistic knife with a completely un-necessary pivot. The 0640 has weak linerlock with cf overlays, and thumbdisks which most find inferior to all other opening methods. You clearly don't understand that these knives are utterly useless to soldiers or hard use outdoor men especially with gloved use.

Last edited:
The last ZT I bought was the new run of ZT0301 in 2017. The 470 does actually look interesting. I may have to get one. Though now I want a Benchmade Mini Loco since a certain store has them on sale.

Back