Introducing The 535 Bugout

just got the knife today....so far i like it. i love the blade size and shape and really like the light weight.
the lock mechanism takes me some getting used to since i never had an axis lock.

the blade was super sharp out of the box. even the packaging was nice.

the blade handle is interesting...never felt any knife like this. its not like g-10...its more like a hollow type plastic feeling.

overall its a great purchase for me. i even like the little pouch it comes with.

just got the knife today....so far i like it. i love the blade size and shape and really like the light weight.
the lock mechanism takes me some getting used to since i never had an axis lock.

the blade was super sharp out of the box. even the packaging was nice.

the blade handle is interesting...never felt any knife like this. its not like g-10...its more like a hollow type plastic feeling.

overall its a great purchase for me. i even like the little pouch it comes with.
I really like the axis lock, especially using it to open and close the blade by pinching it back with my thumb and forefinger and flicking my hand.

Just got one myself today. Super light and thin.
I am impressed.

Am thinking it will be a great addition to my edc rotation.

6432_B8_FC_0_A29_48_DE_AB7_D_9536_DF055_AEC.jpg
This little gem has pretty much bumped everything else from my pocket for the last few weeks.
The Putman scales just made it that much better imo!

I've never owned a Benchmade so maybe my opinion is kinda moot. But I have to say I was actually pretty disappointed in the bugout.

I've been wanting to move up to a bench made so I just recently went to Cabela's to purchase one. And I really liked the design of the Bugout and thought it would be the perfect knife for me, but I did find the knife to feel kinda chintzy.

My biggest complaint is the handle on the bugout. The metal frame only extends a tiny bit leaving most of the handle to being just plastic slabs. I found with a little pressure I could bend the handle side to side. I get that the Bug out is supposed to be light but it just didn't feel sturdy enough for my liking.

On the flip side I tried a Griptillian and I found that for a cheaper model it was a much better knife for me. It was sturdy, and it even felt like it opened smoother and locked nicer for me. Honestly if you blind folded me and told me to pick the more expensive knife I would have picked the Griptilian.

And I really liked the design of the Bugout and thought it would be the perfect knife for me, but I did find the knife to feel kinda chintzy.

My biggest complaint is the handle on the bugout. The metal frame only extends a tiny bit leaving most of the handle to being just plastic slabs. I found with a little pressure I could bend the handle side to side. I get that the Bug out is supposed to be light but it just didn't feel sturdy enough for my liking.
I enjoy mine, cut like a champ and super easy to carry.
Use the bugout as a knife and you'll have no problem with the handle.

I was just at Blade West and Rogue Bladeworks had bugouts with their CF and >new textured titanium!< scales installed. The factory scales don't call to me, and the CF scales make it so light it's dainty, but those Titanium scales -- oh my! They completely change it into a legit solid working knife! Guess the scales won't actually go on sale for a week or two, but if you want a more solid but still slim bugout they are totally worth checking out!!!

I was just at Blade West and Rogue Bladeworks had bugouts with their CF and >new textured titanium!< scales installed. The factory scales don't call to me, and the CF scales make it so light it's dainty, but those Titanium scales -- oh my! They completely change it into a legit solid working knife! Guess the scales won't actually go on sale for a week or two, but if you want a more solid but still slim bugout they are totally worth checking out!!!
Check out Rockscale. Very happy with mine.

I agree, having both the CF and Ti, I prefer the Ti

I enjoy mine, cut like a champ and super easy to carry.
Use the bugout as a knife and you'll have no problem with the handle.

Don't get me wrong it's still a Benchmade so it's an amazing knife. I guess my hang up is where it sits price wise. I understand the Griptillian is 154cm which is why it's cheaper at $139 cdn. The blue bugout here is $159 cdn, but the olive one which is the one I wanted jumps up to $189 cdn!!! I almost feel since I'm spending that kinda money I may's well spend the extra cash for a 940 ($250)...There's also two others in the same price range that I feel are more sturdy feeling like the Grizzly Ridge (I dislike the orange, kinda reminds me of a Gerber) and the North Fork (Not sure if I'm into the wood scales, but it's nice quality)

Don't get me wrong it's still a Benchmade so it's an amazing knife. I guess my hang up is where it sits price wise. I understand the Griptillian is 154cm which is why it's cheaper at $139 cdn. The blue bugout here is $159 cdn, but the olive one which is the one I wanted jumps up to $189 cdn!!! I almost feel since I'm spending that kinda money I may's well spend the extra cash for a 940 ($250)...There's also two others in the same price range that I feel are more sturdy feeling like the Grizzly Ridge (I dislike the orange, kinda reminds me of a Gerber) and the North Fork (Not sure if I'm into the wood scales, but it's nice quality)

Are you including tax or shipping? Those prices are a bit on the high end of the spectrum. There are several online sites that sell for 20-30 bucks cheaper, but shipping is extra unfortunately.

I buy a lot of my knives from a local store in Ottawa and the Bugout is $149 and the OD one is $171.

Oh and the 531 is also $171 and is a real cherry knife. The action is almost as good as my 484.

Are you including tax or shipping? Those prices are a bit on the high end of the spectrum. There are several online sites that sell for 20-30 bucks cheaper, but shipping is extra unfortunately.

I buy a lot of my knives from a local store in Ottawa and the Bugout is $149 and the OD one is $171.

Oh and the 531 is also $171 and is a real cherry knife. The action is almost as good as my 484.
No that's just the prices at Cabelas. I wonder if they price match?

They are bit steep. Don't know if they price match or not. Check out the canadian sites, one out west and one in Toronto, among a few others. The Bugout is a nice knife and I like it better than the mini grip.

Got mine in. Here it goes:
  1. It is not a Griptilian, PM2, 940, 484, 710...etc., etc.
  2. It's perfect for short wearers. (light weight, try EDC'n an Adamas in shorts....pppssssffffttt)
  3. Can it cut open a cardboard box? Yup.
  4. Can it make a tent peg outta a branch? Probably.
  5. Can you baton it? For the life of me, carry an axe or a folding saw, would ya?
  6. Is it pricey? Maybe, but it's worth it to me. That extra $ goes to BM's awesome customer service, warranty & that sweet, sweet Axis lock. Click, clack....click, clack...mmm, fidget goodness.
  7. Made in the U.S.A., ...MURICA.
  8. It's name fits. It's the knife you throw in your bugout bag & kinda forget it's there. And if this the only knife you have when you grab your bugout bag...you're doing it wrong.
The only real problem I have is I only have two hands, one is for sipping my adult beverage & the other can't flick open both my mini grip & bugout at the same time. *sigh*

I've never owned a Benchmade so maybe my opinion is kinda moot. But I have to say I was actually pretty disappointed in the bugout.

I've been wanting to move up to a bench made so I just recently went to Cabela's to purchase one. And I really liked the design of the Bugout and thought it would be the perfect knife for me, but I did find the knife to feel kinda chintzy.

On the flip side I tried a Griptillian and I found that for a cheaper model it was a much better knife for me. It was sturdy, and it even felt like it opened smoother and locked nicer for me. Honestly if you blind folded me and told me to pick the more expensive knife I would have picked the Griptilian.

I hear what you are saying, for me the extra cost is actually worth it for being lighter. There are plenty of overbuilt knives on the market, and I get that feel does come in to it, but for me, the flex is not that big a deal. Again, that's just a for me sort of thing. Love both knives though. Also keep in mind that the grip has been on the market a long time, and while the Bugout did turn out to be a hit (or so it seems) there was no promise of that, so the pricing has to reflect that. Good thing there is room to enjoy both knives.

Back