Introducing The 535 Bugout

Why not 3V?!

3v's impact resistance and toughness would be wasted on the Bugout. I'd rather see it in something with high abrasion resistence and edge holding. Let's swing for the fence and go with CPM 15V. I'm ok with the $300 price tag it would undoubtedly have.

At that price, unless it'll have Ti scales, I'll pass.

If they did 15v and Ti I'd expect it to be a gold class version and then who knows what the price would be. $500+ I'd bet.

Very nice folder, but getting aftermarket scales pumps the end pricing too high for me right now, these scales feel ok, I like them better than the Griptilian scales as those always felt hollow, I imagine that textured Ti would really bring this folder to that next level for sure.

IMG_7188 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

The knife does remind me of the Benchmade 531 in it's blade shape and size, but I guess most any spear point blade will look similar, the 531 did come with nice textured scales though, which was pretty nice, I don't have that one any more to do a direct comparison unfortunately but one of you guys/gals might have both knives at hand to do a comparison shot of the blades?

G2

Hello all. I'm new to this forum as I just started getting into higher end knives. Previously I was using a Kershaw Cryo but I lost it and now own a Bugout!

So far the knife has served me pretty well even though I use it pretty hard (I work in oilfield). Initially when I first got it, I thought it was a little off centered but I was fine living with it. I showed some of my coworkers and they pointed out that the blade tip was actually curved a bit towards the clip. Now I can't help but keep seeing the tip curved. It seems like it would be an easy fix by just regrinding it a bit. Do you guys think it would be worth it to send it back to BM?

Last edited:
Lanyard can balance out this Bugout so it's not so blade heavy. I don't like how it wants to fall out of your hand as it is now when you open your hand. I got one for my friend and it seems like a great knife.
Maybe I'll fill those hollow pockets in the handle with something to make it properly balanced how I like it.
You know the behind the edge measurement stays same on my sample all the way to the last very bit at the very tip.
This knife doesn't thicken on its belly. It's great at slicing. Thing came with a huge burr on one side, but I'm glad there isn't a microbevel there and the specimen I picked out in store is otherwise perfect.
I think benchmade heat treats S30V pretty good and it's plenty for a knife like this one.

Hello all. I'm new to this forum as I just started getting into higher end knives. Previously I was using a Kershaw Cryo but I lost it and now own a Bugout!

So far the knife has served me pretty well even though I use it pretty hard (I work in oilfield). Initially when I first got it, I thought it was a little off centered but I was fine living with it. I showed some of my coworkers and they pointed out that the blade tip was actually curved a bit towards the clip. Now I can't help but keep seeing the tip curved. It seems like it would be an easy fix by just regrinding it a bit. Do you guys think it would be worth it to send it back to BM?

Do you have pictures of the curve?

Benchmade Benchmade care to chime in?

What is it about S30V that people don’t like? Why is it not sufficient? How would a higher end blade steel suit you better?

Serious questions, not trying to be a smart a$$. I’ve always looked at s30v as a higher end steel that is more than enough for me. Hell 8cr13mov does fine for me, even if it requires more frequent sharpening

What is it about S30V that people don’t like?

People like options, and lately, Benchmade has become fairly polarized in their choice of steel across their product line. It may not be that people don't like it...it might just be that there are better and more up-to-date options that aren't being offered by the company that used to be at the forefront of knife tech.

Why is it not sufficient?

I think you answered your own question... You listed a lower-end steel and said it "does fine" for you, which should indicate that a better steel like S30V would be fine for you as well. If all purchases are based on them being "sufficient", we'd never have a reason to like anything else. What is sufficient to you is boring to me. I don't want sufficient. I want the best of the current market options, and S30V is not that. It might cost Benchmade >$2/knife in materials and manufacturing to spec the Bugout in M390. I'd happily pay another $10 for an M390 Bugout. Hell, throw in some M4 or even crazier stuff like K390, 10V, or Rex45. The knives Spyderco makes in those steels sell out in minutes for a reason.

If I was about to buy a BMW and the salesman gave me the choice of a 150 hp engine (sufficient) or a 350 hp engine for a negligible price difference, I know which one I'd take.

How would a higher end blade steel suit you better?

Edge retention, edge stability, and getting my moneys worth. Higher-end steels far surpass S30V in edge retention, and Ankerson's testing proves this. S30V isn't a high-end steel anymore, and shouldn't be advertised as such. The bar has been raised several times in the stainless and non-stainless categories, and the consumers (us) want the newer better stuff. Other manufacturers are rolling out M390/S110V/M4 knives for less money than most of the S30V knives Benchmade is putting out. Benchmade is still using the same blade steel that Gerber and Buck are using, and I'm fairly certain that isn't a brand association that the Benchmade marketing department was aiming for.

/rant

Back