1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Introducing The 535 Bugout

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Benchmade, Jul 26, 2017.

1. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    better thumbstuds than the 531 yay!!

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Anyone find a dealer yet with them in stock for immediate purchase?

3. blade man

blade man

Jan 8, 2001
    I could find almost no one with them even listed, so I preordered from Blade HQ. Sounds like they should be at dealers any day.

4. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    I wonder how long its going to take that DLC on the axis lock to wear and create lock stick. Steel and titanium don't always play nicely together.

5. Snoow

Snoow

Jul 17, 2017
    If you ever do get rid of your 940 hit me up ;)

6. sonarsessions

sonarsessions

Nov 1, 2016
    I have a dealer contact on FB who advised they will be in and ready to ship on Saturday. He is taking pre-orders on them now. I've dealt with him on some ZT purchases and know he is reputable, so I put my pre-order in.

7. gunmike1

gunmike1

Dec 9, 2005
    Being a very thin and lightweight knife as a whole, what is wrong with the blade thickness? I wouldn't want to pry or chop with a small, light knife, it's main use is cutting. With thin blade stock and a high flat grind, this knife should be a tremendous slicer as long as they don't leave the edge too thick. The blade geometry seems perfectly suited to a very thin, lightly constructed knife. Why put a chunky blade that can't cut worth a crap on a very thin and lightweight knife?

CDKJudoka, colin.p, KrisNZ and 2 others like this.
  8. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough

Apr 18, 2017
    I wish Cabelas gets these in stock soon. I havr a bunch of club points i could use.

9. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Anyone have any idea on the price?

10. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Looks like a few retailers have them for pre order @ $115, I was thinking $90 would have been a good price point but I suppose that's not too much more.

11. blade man

blade man

Jan 8, 2001

Roger, if it's anything like my 531, it'll be thin. I'd have to mic the 531, but I bet it's .015" at the edge, it's comparable to a Slysz Bowie.

12. Snoow

Snoow

Jul 17, 2017
    Sorry but idc about weight... 2 oz aren't going to change my opinion on a knife. I just don't like thin blades, you cant do any hard use with them. How can this knife he classified as "outdoor" and "edc" if you are going to snap the tip and break the blade doing any stabbing or prying? I'm not saying to make the blade super chunky, just something like .12 or .13.

13. silvaticus

silvaticus

Aug 26, 2016
    The blue plasticy handle is not really my thing, but overall I like it. Two things stand out for me in particular:
    (1) The blade lenght is close to my personal sweet spot for folding knives (which has been set by the 940 and the Opi8, and is well above 3'', but below 3.5'')
    (2) I love the attention to detail the BM shows in a knife that comes in at the lower end of their price band. Blue thumb study, titanium axis bolt... nicely done!
    If there'd be one in green micarta (just the same stuff as used on the Proper) I'd be all in...

14. AmosPaul

AmosPaul

Dec 17, 2014
    $115 dollars for a plastic knife?

Snoow likes this.
  15. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Nice deep carry pocket clip!

At $114.75 it's somewhat pricey for S30V considering the U.S.-made Native5 Lightweight with S35VN is just $86.37!

Thin-Slice and Lapedog like this.
  16. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Not to pick on you, RamZar, but your example strikes me as apples : oranges. Have blade play after use and need your Spyderco lockback serviced? $25. Bent your Spyderco clip? $8 + shipping. Mangle your Spyderco blade and want a new one? SOL.

Benchmade appeals to many buyers in that the longevity of the product is basically assured, hassle-free, barring loss. I guess it depends on the individual but a straight price : price comparison doesn't strike me as valid with only one aspect of the equation (price) being discussed.

Personally, I'll take an Axis lock knife with annodized spacers, annodized thumbstud, titanium lock bar, dlc hardware (read: upgrades and attention to detail) over a straight lockback with flat stamped monochrome frn scales all day, every day. Again, a personal choice, though, and I don't mention these facts to pick a fight, merely to highlight the difference in what you get for $20 between the two makers.

17. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Undoubtedly, Benchmade's customer service trumps Spyderco's.

The price difference between Benchmade 535 Bugout and Spyderco Native5 Lightweight is $28.38 plus Native5 gives you superior blade steel.

Thin-Slice likes this.
  18. halflife78

halflife78 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Got one reserved for $90, all it takes is some searching if you live in a decent area with a few dealers locally to find good deals.

19. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    I was wondering that, the 531 was not a very good knife and that thumbstud and lock really destroyed what could have been a good idea. Im hoping this 535 is more the the action of a 940.

20. billym

billym

Jan 8, 2006
    Why didn't they make it black? I do not like the blue handles.
    No liners? Partial like the 531?