Introducing The 535 Bugout

I wonder how long its going to take that DLC on the axis lock to wear and create lock stick. Steel and titanium don't always play nicely together.

Anyone find a dealer yet with them in stock for immediate purchase?

I have a dealer contact on FB who advised they will be in and ready to ship on Saturday. He is taking pre-orders on them now. I've dealt with him on some ZT purchases and know he is reputable, so I put my pre-order in.

Would buy this in a heartbeat if the blade was a little thicker... .09? Thats like Leek status thin :(

Being a very thin and lightweight knife as a whole, what is wrong with the blade thickness? I wouldn't want to pry or chop with a small, light knife, it's main use is cutting. With thin blade stock and a high flat grind, this knife should be a tremendous slicer as long as they don't leave the edge too thick. The blade geometry seems perfectly suited to a very thin, lightly constructed knife. Why put a chunky blade that can't cut worth a crap on a very thin and lightweight knife?

Looks like a few retailers have them for pre order @ $115, I was thinking $90 would have been a good price point but I suppose that's not too much more.

Being a very thin and lightweight knife as a whole, what is wrong with the blade thickness? I wouldn't want to pry or chop with a small, light knife, it's main use is cutting. With thin blade stock and a high flat grind, this knife should be a tremendous slicer as long as they don't leave the edge too thick. The blade geometry seems perfectly suited to a very thin, lightly constructed knife. Why put a chunky blade that can't cut worth a crap on a very thin and lightweight knife?

Roger, if it's anything like my 531, it'll be thin. I'd have to mic the 531, but I bet it's .015" at the edge, it's comparable to a Slysz Bowie.

Sorry but idc about weight... 2 oz aren't going to change my opinion on a knife. I just don't like thin blades, you cant do any hard use with them. How can this knife he classified as "outdoor" and "edc" if you are going to snap the tip and break the blade doing any stabbing or prying? I'm not saying to make the blade super chunky, just something like .12 or .13.

The blue plasticy handle is not really my thing, but overall I like it. Two things stand out for me in particular:
(1) The blade lenght is close to my personal sweet spot for folding knives (which has been set by the 940 and the Opi8, and is well above 3'', but below 3.5'')
(2) I love the attention to detail the BM shows in a knife that comes in at the lower end of their price band. Blue thumb study, titanium axis bolt... nicely done!
If there'd be one in green micarta (just the same stuff as used on the Proper) I'd be all in...

Nice deep carry pocket clip!

At $114.75 it's somewhat pricey for S30V considering the U.S.-made Native5 Lightweight with S35VN is just $86.37!

At $114.75 it's somewhat pricey for S30V considering the U.S.-made Native5 Lightweight with S35VN is just $86.37!

Not to pick on you, RamZar, but your example strikes me as apples : oranges. Have blade play after use and need your Spyderco lockback serviced? $25. Bent your Spyderco clip? $8 + shipping. Mangle your Spyderco blade and want a new one? SOL.

Benchmade appeals to many buyers in that the longevity of the product is basically assured, hassle-free, barring loss. I guess it depends on the individual but a straight price : price comparison doesn't strike me as valid with only one aspect of the equation (price) being discussed.

Personally, I'll take an Axis lock knife with annodized spacers, annodized thumbstud, titanium lock bar, dlc hardware (read: upgrades and attention to detail) over a straight lockback with flat stamped monochrome frn scales all day, every day. Again, a personal choice, though, and I don't mention these facts to pick a fight, merely to highlight the difference in what you get for $20 between the two makers.

Not to pick on you, RamZar, but your example strikes me as apples : oranges. Have blade play after use and need your Spyderco lockback serviced? $25. Bent your Spyderco clip? $8 + shipping. Mangle your Spyderco blade and want a new one? SOL.

Benchmade appeals to many buyers in that the longevity of the product is basically assured, hassle-free, barring loss. I guess it depends on the individual but a straight price : price comparison doesn't strike me as valid with only one aspect of the equation (price) being discussed.

Personally, I'll take an Axis lock knife with annodized spacers, annodized thumbstud, titanium lock bar, dlc hardware (read: upgrades and attention to detail) over a straight lockback with flat stamped monochrome frn scales all day, every day. Again, a personal choice, though, and I don't mention these facts to pick a fight, merely to highlight the difference in what you get for $20 between the two makers.

Undoubtedly, Benchmade's customer service trumps Spyderco's.

The price difference between Benchmade 535 Bugout and Spyderco Native5 Lightweight is $28.38 plus Native5 gives you superior blade steel.

Got one reserved for $90, all it takes is some searching if you live in a decent area with a few dealers locally to find good deals.

better thumbstuds than the 531 yay!!

I was wondering that, the 531 was not a very good knife and that thumbstud and lock really destroyed what could have been a good idea. Im hoping this 535 is more the the action of a 940.

Why didn't they make it black? I do not like the blue handles.
No liners? Partial like the 531?

Back