Is CPM3V worth the extra money over 1095 Cro Van?

I searched on the forums for CPM3v in the "Becker Knife & Tool" forum but only 2 results.

I own the BK2, and looking for another lighter camping/hiking blade. BK16 is my 1st choice. but there is another brand coming out with a similar 4" knife made of CPM3V.

Just wondering if the extra cost is worth the steel upgrade. My thinking is if i get a BK16 with custom Kydex, the total invested will be about $100, more if i get micarta handles. At which point i could prob pay for the CPM3V knife.

thanks in advance.

Whats so great about CPM3V? Sounds like stainless. 1095CroVan with Kabars super-secret heat treat is the most relaiable steel I've ever seen in outdoor knives. I wont use anything else anymore.

is it worth it? Not imo people have been using lower quality steels for a lot longer then cpm was around and we are just fine so is it worth it? no. do you want it to try out? probaby. if you can afford it get it and let us know how you feel

3v is better in every category over 1095 CroVan. It's tougher, has better edge retention, and is more stain resistant. It's the steel that gives infi a run for it's money. However it being worth it or not is dependent on the knife in question. Steel is one of three components to a knife. Geometry and heat treat are a great deal more important then the steel itself. If the geometry and heat treat are good then 3v is better. Anyone here telling you different is giving you a biased opinion.

3v is better in every category over 1095 CroVan. It's tougher, has better edge retention, and is more stain resistant. It's the steel that gives infi a run for it's money. However it being worth it or not is dependent on the knife in question. Steel is one of three components to a knife. Geometry and heat treat are a great deal more important then the steel itself. If the geometry and heat treat are good then 3v is better. Anyone here telling you different is giving you a biased opinion.

Well Said Bro!!! I've used 1095 that would bend if you look at wrong, others break, and yet others you couldn't kill. BUT 3v is better all the way around IMO as well.

What is the "other brand knife" in CPM 3V that you're looking at?

What is the "other brand knife" in CPM 3V that you're looking at?

the upcoming Survive Gear. EDC4
CPM3V 59-60 rc
Peter's Heat treat
4.25" blade length
1.25" blade height
.188" blade thickness
9.125" overall length

The GSO 7 i think will sell for $235 in CPM3V. So my guess is the EDC4 will be between $150-200.
they also will have an elmax option per their facebook post.

$150+ CPM3V 4" blade vs $65 4" 1095 Crovan blade.

I have the money to pay for the CPM3V. but i dont want to over pay for something i may not utilize.

The BK16 is an appealing choice as it is practically 1/3 the cost and has a lifetime warranty. so if it does break, they will simply fix or replace. I am just looking for guidance.

IMO its worth trying. I always say if you want it and you can afford it then buy it, but that's just me. I have 2 folders in cpm s30v and I love it, never really got the hard use of a Becker but for a 4 inch blade your probably ok.

It dosen't sounds like stainless to me !
Whats so great about CPM3V? Sounds like stainless. 1095CroVan with Kabars super-secret heat treat is the most relaiable steel I've ever seen in outdoor knives. I wont use anything else anymore.

IMO its worth trying. I always say if you want it and you can afford it then buy it, but that's just me. I have 2 folders in cpm s30v and I love it, never really got the hard use of a Becker but for a 4 inch blade your probably ok.

This. There are very well known and well respected survival instructors who use a mora. So the knife you choose is more personal preference then anything. Get what you like and can afford.

To elaborate on my earlier post, specs alone can't tell you if a knife is going to work or not. It really is trial and error. I had two custom knives by guys who do their heat treat right. One was 1095 and the other 3v. On paper the 3v should have spanked the 1095 and indeed it was probably tougher, more stain resistant, and held it's edge longer but then I used both knives. The 1095 custom with it's superior geometry blew the super steel custom out of the water. I no longer own the 3v blade.

the upcoming Survive Gear. EDC4
CPM3V 59-60 rc
Peter's Heat treat
4.25" blade length
1.25" blade height
.188" blade thickness
9.125" overall length

The GSO 7 i think will sell for $235 in CPM3V. So my guess is the EDC4 will be between $150-200.
they also will have an elmax option per their facebook post.

$150+ CPM3V 4" blade vs $65 4" 1095 Crovan blade.

I have the money to pay for the CPM3V. but i dont want to over pay for something i may not utilize.

The BK16 is an appealing choice as it is practically 1/3 the cost and has a lifetime warranty. so if it does break, they will simply fix or replace. I am just looking for guidance.

Thanks for the info. I think Shotgun makes a great point that heat-treat and geometry make a hug difference - I'm not familiar with Survive Gear so I really can't comment one way or the other.

Now, Spark (the owner of this site) has talked with Kabar about possibly making a limited edition BK16 in a 'premium' steel (D2? S35V?). He talks about it in this thread (post #160). Now, if this happens it won't be for a while. There is no guarantee what steel it will be or even that it ever comes to fruition.

Just a thought though....

Thanks for the info. I think Shotgun makes a great point that heat-treat and geometry make a hug difference - I'm not familiar with Survive Gear so I really can't comment one way or the other.

Group hug? :D

like shotgun said, geometry and heat treat is very important too. handle ergonomics is right up there for me too and it's not mentioned often enough imho. i've sold a lot of knives because of uncomfortable handle shape. what good is super edge holding do if you can't even bear to use it for more than a few minutes at a time? a mora made with 3v - now we're talking :)

as a side note, i noticed most people who own super steels have it only for collection purposes. drop in the w&ss sub-forum here where the real knife users are and you'll notice good ol' 1095, o1, mora's steels, etc. are far more represented than the next flavor-of-the-month knife/super steel combo.

Reactions: vba
IMHO, no. I love my 1095 blades from Ka-Bar, it's the toughest, most reliable carbon steel I have found that sharpens well. I see no reason to pay extra for a material that doesn't give me any real advantages over the "budget" version with all things considered.

Back