Is Steel Will using fake M390 and an unknown manufacturer?

Was your organic or not?

My view on this whole thing.

1. It could be M390 with a bad heat treat
2. It's D2 steel, it's still low for D2, if it rusts readily this is a high possibility. The viper another Italian knife in d2 only did 70. I would be cool to do a cut test on the D2 model.
3. It stains, but doesn't rust like D2, I would think this would point to one of the 8cr steels.

I like spicy mustard too, but don't have any on hand.

if your serious I'll do it if shinyedges shinyedges approves.

or I can run that test tomorrow?

I wouldn't recommend running it.

People talk about mustard, but that's just dilute acetic acid. Stainless steels are reasonably resistant to dilute acetic acid.
Salt is the contaminant of choice for testing corrosion resistance of stainless steels. 440C will begin to show rusting after about 8 hour of exposure in a salt spray cabinet run per ASTM B117. Other stainless blade steels can take somewhat longer. But they will rust. (note ASTM B117 calls for a 5% saline solution.)

I don't think anyone said stainless steels were impervious to corrosion. In real world use, not concentrated salt solution tests, steels like elmax and M390 don't rust cutting food.

Ocean water for a day doesn't cause corrosion on m390 in my experience. But I wasn't swimming in a Tupperware of salt with 4 table spoons of water.

I’m doing a stain resistance test as well. Four blades, a 1084, a k390, the steel will in M390, and a benchmade Mini Ritter in M390 as well.

YcFyzEF.jpg

I cleaned all the blades and took a before shot for comparison purposes.
YASVq7D.jpg

eBuFgnn.jpg

FwuJHP6.jpg

pzUHSIT.jpg

Then I applied mustard to each and I’ll let them set overnight.
9EHI271.jpg

Last edited:
Ok...so some major problems with what’s going on here.

1. Google? Come on, DuckDuckGo is where it’s at nowadays.
2. Mustard’s fine and all...not sure what the organic is getting you, but Chone Hot Sauce forces a fine patina. Plus, I put that sh*t on everything.
3. I think we should really look forward to Pete’s update videos cuz I sure ain’t gonna try to force a patina on all my dang knives :D

7D0C8198-9365-47C0-8895-0E8D36DEAE8E.jpeg

Ok...so some major problems with what’s going on here.

1. Google? Come on, DuckDuckGo is where it’s at nowadays.
2. Mustard’s fine and all...not sure what the organic is getting you, but Chone Hot Sauce forces a fine patina. Plus, I put that sh*t on everything.
3. I think we should really look forward to Pete’s update videos cuz I sure ain’t gonna try to force a patina on all my dang knives :D

View attachment 846443
mine are users too. I can always get a regrind as well. also have bar keepers friend. but don't ever plan to sell them as bnib like some numbskulls would. I've used duckduckgo, generally use encrypted Google search though lol hilarious.
+1 also looking fwd to Peter's tests.

You guys got me wondering just how that mustard reacts with other steels now, I had moved on from the Modus and picked up a Katsu in VG10, but also have a Spyderco in K390, so I grabbed the French's Spicy Mustard and plopped down some on both blades for about 3 minutes, not very long, but figured it should show something;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

K390 shows an area of patina with a distinct line where the mustard sat, only ran water over it and used my fingers to wipe the mustard off the blades

The VG10 was not as pronounced but also had some bluish spots that concerned me;

but when I used the Bar Keepers Friend on both knives, the VG10 wiped clean, while NOW I have a mark, wisely on the back side and not presentation side of the blade, I tried cleaning it several times but still have the stain showing on the K390 blade...

That's as much testing as I'd want to do, now I'm worried what that mustard has done to MY insides :)

G2

Reactions: Mo2
You guys got me wondering just how that mustard reacts with other steels now, I had moved on from the Modus and picked up a Katsu in VG10, but also have a Spyderco in K390, so I grabbed the French's Spicy Mustard and plopped down some on both blades for about 3 minutes, not very long, but figured it should show something;

K390 shows an area of patina with a distinct line where the mustard sat, only ran water over it and used my fingers to wipe the mustard off the blades

The VG10 was not as pronounced but also had some bluish spots that concerned me;

but when I used the Bar Keepers Friend on both knives, the VG10 wiped clean, while NOW I have a mark, wisely on the back side and not presentation side of the blade, I tried cleaning it several times but still have the stain showing on the K390 blade...

That's as much testing as I'd want to do, now I'm worried what that mustard has done to MY insides :)

G2
which mustard do you have? may get some myself.

I've put ketchup on the following knives:

Plain Jane Spyderco Endura
Steel Will Modus M390
Busse Battle Mistress (BG)
WW2-era Smatchet

I'm going to leave it on over night and I'll give you guys the results tomorrow.

After that, mayo. This should be educational.

OK, so we're testing condiments now, which implies that everybody uses their pocketknives and custom fixed blades instead of cheap Wal*Mart table cutlery like "normal" people. But "normal" people also don't secretly impress themselves when they accidentally cut themselves on their newly sharpened M390 flipper.

Thus, I suggest a more appropriate test - blood. Preferably human, preferably your own, preferably unintentionally. Raw red meat could substitute.

You guys are all a little nuts lol. I'm waiting for Pete to test another modus before commenting anymore on the situation, seeing how I'll believe an independent tester over a companies "in-house testing" any day of the week.

4WyaAIh.jpg

They sat overnight.
First 1084:
9YpvsCp.jpg

It formed a heavy patina as I expected.

Next k390:
IPHCGsY.jpg

A marginally lighter patina with some nice purples in there.

Then the steel will:
WPByN46.jpg

There is some light staining on the blade.

Finally the benchmade:
1eo1eZM.jpg

Absolutely nothing.

Not sure if this proves or disproves anything at all. Regardless, the steel will is more stain resistant than carbon steels, but seemingly less stain resistant than the benchmade. This could be due to the heat treat or blade finish for all I know.

I look forward to hearing everyone else’s condiment results.:D

Back