Is Steel Will using fake M390 and an unknown manufacturer?

More than just mustard, I have left blood, lime, chlorine from swimming pools, salt water from the ocean, sweat, hot sauce, and many other things sit on my zt0620cf that I carried for maybe 18 months. Prepared food, swam in fresh and salt water, chopped up bait for fishing literally almost every knife task for more than a year.

The liner under the carbon fiber rusted. Pretty severely. The bearings rusted. The blade never showed nothing. Nada, zip, zilch. I've had m390 from big chris, same experience, nothing, no rust. Benchmades m390, same. No rust.

I've used s30v in the same way and seen rust. Same for s35vn. Showed rust. A few other stainless have shown corrosion.

M390 is very high up on the stain resistance scale. And while most any steel can rust, I have never seen a single complaint of m390 rusting on this or any other forum.

So when you say it can stain, I have to ask under what condition did it stain? I've yet to see it in real life and I'm an avid outdoorsmen and farmer.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-test-h1-m390-zdp-189-n690co-cts-xhp.1261716/

and how do we know for certain that the knife in question wasn't just food, oil or grease and actually a stain or rust?

OF COURSE you are right!

All 20CV is created equal, just like all M390 has exactly the same properties, regardless, regardless, regardless. Just like all sausage is the same, and no matter what spices, sauces, added ingredients, composition, etc. it would all have the exact same response to all M390 blades!

Yeah, you obviously know it all! M390 is M390 and sausage is sausage and know-it-alls are know-it-alls!

20cv isn't m390. I've had and used both and am familiar with both. M390 staining from cutting food? Are you serious right now? Clearly you don't know as much as you think.

Post #28 in that thread.
right. so without knowing about Garys knife for sure, how do we know it was a stain for certain or not? I'm being the devils advocate here. I'm just saying it can rust or stain in the right conditions and ht. I'm not saying or arguing that it rusts or stains easily. take for example zdp189 with lots of chromium. a lot of the chromium can be used for carbide forming and if its not enough left for stainlessness it will be susceptible to rust. and that's all that I was trying to get at as well.

right. so without knowing about Garys knife for sure, how do we know it was a stain for certain or not? I'm being the devils advocate here. I'm just saying it can rust or stain in the right conditions and ht. I'm not saying or arguing that it rusts or stains easily. take for example zdp189 with lots of chromium. a lot of the chromium can be used for carbide forming and if its not enough left for stainlessness it will be susceptible to rust. and that's all that I was trying to get at as well.
You know Mo2, anyone can Google and use the search function. How much experience do you have with this steel? How many steels have you used extensively and sharpened and carried for any real length of time that you post so frequently on? Your search Foo isn't impressive and you're saying things many of us already know.

You should dial it back a bit. You're not an expert instantly because you can Google.

I'm not an expert either, never claimed to be. But what I do is use and learn the steels I talk about, and have for years now. It's called learning and it takes time and experience. We're all on the journey.

Your steel prowess isn't impressing.

I would hope Gary knows the difference between a water deposit and rust. Just ask Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley .

Last edited:
You know Mo2, anyone can Google and use the search function. How much experience do you have with this steel? How many steels have you used extensively and sharpened and carried for any real length of time that you post so frequently on? Your search Foo isn't impressive and you're saying things many of us already know.

You should dial it back a bit. You're not an expert instantly because you can Google.

I'm not an expert either, never claimed to be. But what I do is use and learn the steels I talk about, and have for years now. It's called learning and it takes time and experience. We're all on the journey.

Your steel prowess isn't impressing.

I would hope Gary knows the difference between a water deposit and rust. Just as Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley .
lol okay. I don't have any issues with stainless properties because I don't keep them wet. I dry them and I oil them. way to make someone look like a twat and skew my take on steel and what I've read and the little i know about metallurgy.

lol okay. I don't have any issues with stainless properties because I don't keep them wet. I dry them and I oil them. way to make someone look like a twat and skew my take on steel.
I know that came off harsh, honestly though it's for the best. Get the hands on time and learn about these alloys the best way! Don't get me wrong I still use Google Foo and learn constantly. But nothing beats getting to know the alloy and the experience that accrues from it.

Some of the guys here are and have been doing this WAY longer than me, I love picking their brains. So much to learn here, I'm humbled all the time.

I see my name through out this thread, for my take the steel sharpened like a high grade steel, cuts very well and the concern I had was a very light stain, NO RUST, that showed up after slicing up a sausage sandwich with lots of mustard which is known to be used to force a patina on steel.
In the thread it was said to try Bar Keepers Friend and the ‘stain’ just wiped away at one swipe, which made sense that it was a very superficial stain.
G2

I see my name through out this thread, for my take the steel sharpened like a high grade steel, cuts very well and the concern I had was a very light stain, NO RUST, that showed up after slicing up a sausage sandwich with lots of mustard which is known to be used to force a patina on steel.
In the thread it was said to try Bar Keepers Friend and the ‘stain’ just wiped away at one swipe, which made sense that it was a very superficial stain.
G2
Thank you Gary, that clears it up. Although I've never seen M390 even stain, so it does make me wonder.

And mustard patinas the likes of 1095, 52-100, 5160 etc very well, I've used it with success. It never stained m390 for me.

There is way too much focus on personalities, and not enough on the initial question.
Either focus on the question, or don't post. If you want to accuse each other of inaccuracies or ingorance, take it up in a thread in Whine and Cheese.

Any blade steel, with the possible exception of H1, can stain or rust if exposed to the correct environment. It's called "stain less" for a reason.

Reactions: Mo2
IMG_20180210_174943.jpg

IMG_20180210_175438.jpg

how long do you suggest I wait?
shinyedges shinyedges

Somebody just threw down the gauntlet via sausage.

But I have to say, as a sausage expert, there is no way you can ensure that the casing lattice structure is the same. The reaction may be different to a enzyme modified potato starch casing or a natural one. In addition there may be significant difference in the lipolysis and proteolysis processes based on the type of meat used in production resulting in more or less fatty acids.

Last edited:
Disolve a goodly large portion of salt in warm water. Mix some of that water into the mustard.

I like spicy mustard too, but don't have any on hand.

if your serious I'll do it if shinyedges shinyedges approves.

or I can run that test tomorrow?
I don't know what you mean "approve". It's your knife. You can put any sauce you want on your knife...

Back