Is the Sebenza that great?

I took a trip to my local knife shop today and handled several large and small Sebenza 21's for the first time. I was not overwhelmed. They are nice and the famed fit and finish are very good but IMHO there's nothing exciting about the design or ergonomics. My impression was the knives on their own (without the name association) were a good value at $250 to $300. The rest is all branding.

I felt the same way. That is until I owned and carried one. There is a certain amount of appreciation for things like the sebenza that cant be fully realized by holding one in a store front. They are deceivingly simple. So simple that one is inclined to think $450 for this? Then you carry it, then you use it and then it sinks in. If you dont do that, you probably will always think its not worth the price of admission. IMHO they are one of the few true classics in modern knives. A knife that you will gladly pass on to the next generation and know it will serve them well. Branding does come into play with many brands. But CRK I dont feel is one of them.

At the moment I'm looking at a YouTube video of a Shop Tour @Chris Reeve.
And I was wondering, is the Sebenza that awesome?
Some users out there with any Sebenza experience?

No Sebenza users here, and no one with any opinions. If you search, you won't find any threads on the topic, either. Instead, I suggest other ways to entertain yourself. Here's my #1: while grilling burgers during tonight's games, pour a five liter can of gasoline slowly on the grill. :eek: :rolleyes: You'll get less heat than from this thread. :thumbup:

Last edited:
...but if you want my personal history on the Sebenza, which is what you asked for...yes, I think it is. I looked at them for years and refused to pay the price. Some years ago my sons got together and gave me a small Lignum Vitae inlay Classic for Christmas. That gave me a different opportunity to get to know the knife and see how I felt about it. Skip forward to today, I have eight Sebenzas (as well as a Mnandi and two Umnuzaans) and have owned a few more. It is a unique knife. Not perfect, but unique. If you can afford it, and if its styling and ergonomics suit you, it's a great knife to own. If not - it's a big world and there are lots of other great knives out there.

One thing - if you buy a pre-owned Sebenza to try, and don't overpay, you can almost always resell it without any loss if you decide you don't like it.

Yes it's worth every penny I paid for my large 21. I carry it every day.

] "There is a certain amount of appreciation for things like the sebenza that cant be fully realized by holding one in a store front. They are deceivingly simple. So simple that one is inclined to think $450 for this? Then you carry it, then you use it and then it sinks in."

What is it? What sinks in?

People with an eye for detail LOVE this knife.

People who nitpick prices and just want a cutting tool, might be better off with a different knife.

Now that I think about it, there's no way I would spend that much money on a knife until I become good at sharpening knives. Right now it's just me and the Sharpmaker, but I have alot more to learn about sharpening a knife and doing it freehand before I drop big money on a knife.

I bought a Sebenza about 5 years ago and felt it was too expensive, so I quickly sold it. My impression had been that it was a very simple, somewhat uncomfortable knife with good but common steel. It is an esoteric knife; I understood that I had paid for "quality" but couldn't see it or appreciate it in the Sebenza.

I recently picked up a Mnandi and think it is more approachable in terms of understanding the price--the inlays, the polished and matte surfaces, the smoothness; the price seems justified because you can see the quality. The quality of the Sebenza is not so visible; it comes out with use. This is what I assume everyone talks about when they say "it sinks in."

If you'll use it, yes. I have two micarta sebenzas for a reason. They are timeless and cut well.

When you start going high end you are no longer paying for some minimum wage working to slap together a knife that just works. You start paying for high quality parts and materials even when a lesser part/material will give you the same performance and the tight tolerances of it.

Now that I think about it, there's no way I would spend that much money on a knife until I become good at sharpening knives. Right now it's just me and the Sharpmaker, but I have alot more to learn about sharpening a knife and doing it freehand before I drop big money on a knife.

Chris Reeve recommends sharpening on the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

This is a very sound strategy. I might recommend the instructional videos by Murray Carter to help you along.

For me it is.
I have learned that different people like different things.
My Sbenza get's used and I like it.
It does everything I need in a knife.
Then I like the attitude of the knife and the man behind it - for me this is very important.
hope this helps.
red mag

I think so. It took me a while to see the virtues, but once I did, I never looked back.

Like others have said - pick up a user from the exchange - you can always pass it along if you find it doesn't do it for you.

I have 21's and 25's and I switch back and forth between the two designs - I still haven't fully committed to either one yet.

I also sharpen my Sebenza 25 the Murray Carter way. I wonder if any other Sebenza owners do the same instead of the recommended way which is the sharpmaker.

I traded for a small 21 and it replaced my BM 730, it's that good, unfortunately it's one of those, "either you love it or you don't get it" kinda things. I love it, I get it, you should try it and the very least.

I agree that the F & F is unmatched and I enjoy my regular 21 very much, especially since it's my only lefty specific knife. However I do not think it's the be all end all of knives. I do not regret buying mine and I have no plans on getting rid of it, but there are many less expensive knives out there that will give the owner equal enjoyment. To each his own i guess.

Easily the best production folder ever made IMO, and better than any modern customs that I've had.

We can't really decide for you though. If you're really planning on spending this much on a folder I would say this is the knife to get. If you're having trouble spending this much on a knife maybe you should get one of a lesser quality. A lot of good knives out there at a lesser price.

(...)but the point is if you think you're gonna get something from a Sebenza that you cant get from a less expensive knife you're wrong. Quality titanium framelocks, s330v-S35vn, and tight tolerances are fairly common today in knives, and even the biggest Sebenza fanboy cant say "it is the best knife for the money." (...)

In my opinion, the Sebenza is one of the most affordable knives in its class and can easily hold its own next to many far more expensive options. I do, however, understand your train of thought. You might suggest that a Pro Tech TR-3 is every bit as good as a Sebenza for less money, I could undercut you with a Bradley Alias, and you might counter with the Spyderco Sage 2. This back-and-forth could continue until, finally, we are reduced to knives that are a far cry from where we started. So I would say, the devil is in the details. And CRK pays close attention to those details. ;)

To the OP, the best advice is here:

The Sebenza is a nice knife. Worth it? That is up to you.

I will say this, if you need someone to convince you to buy it, you probably shouldn't.
Good luck, OP! :)

-Brett

Back