1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I think so.
    When I get it cleaned up i think I will be able to confirm that

Agent_H likes this.
  2. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    The Wilton vise is most likely not quick release because of the handle on it. The Columbia vise could very well be a quick release vise but you will only be able to tell after it is put together correctly and it will be a quarter turn counter clock wise then release. Very cool stuff Miller!! What a freaking haul!!!!!

junkenstien, Miller '72 and garry3 like this.
  3. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    So not all quick releases had slotted screws?

4. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I've been pretty busy lately so haven't been "hunting". I did make a fleabay purchase however and it arrived today. It was dear but I think worth every penny! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This one has a temperers mark? I recall seeing this somewhere on a Kelly but I cannot remember where. [​IMG] [​IMG] overlaid bit and made "the old fashion way". You can see where the two steels meet if you look closely. [​IMG]
    I'll be filling the etch(or stamp I'm not sure which it is) with Stiletto's off white before I cold blue it. I've got a real dark and nice 31" haft picked out too. I'm going to go get started!

5. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Oh, that is a nice looking axe head!

Fmont, Mack, garry3 and 4 others like this.
  6. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    That is definitely an axe that inspires a project!

Fmont, A17, garry3 and 3 others like this.
  7. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    On my bench now I have a vintage 10” Columbia Vise with a slotted screw which I believe is their “rapid action” Vice and I also have a vintage 7” (I think) Sheldon vise that is a quick release but does not have a slotted screw. The nut is a half nut and it works like a wedge when it is tightened. Works really well. You have to be carefully purchasing them though because that half nut is a brass or bronze part and if you don’t really check it it may have been worn down so much that it won’t even bite on the screw. But I use my Sheldon everyday. It’s probably my most used tool!

Agent_H, A17, Miller '72 and 8 others like this.
  8. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    That stiletto is sweet.Have a worlds finest that doesn’t have true temper on it at all and it’s monosteel.Sure confusing them Kelly stamps

garry3, A17, Miller '72 and 2 others like this.
  9. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

I have cooked them, boiled them, used chemicals like oven cleaner ect, and this is what happens after a few days in full strength Simple Green. A quick flattening and dressing and they cut great.

[​IMG]

10. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    It is strange isn't it.. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to where the stamps were placed or when. Here's my worlds finest connie with an overlaid bit; 15629759957027217289241194542163.jpg But here I found that similar temperers mark in front of the eye from a post '49 TT flint edge; 15629761545223692924674670827607.jpg Here again are the temperers mark(s) from the stiletto; 1562976327210434109002708722335.jpg
    I think they are the same mark just one is worn more than the other. Keeps us guessing! Part of the fun i guess. If it were easy it wouldn't keep us engaged.

cityofthesouth, garry3, Fmont and 5 others like this.
  11. DOGPOUND77

DOGPOUND77 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2017
    some fun pickin at the v8 ford club of America annual swap meet here in Spokane---always go out set up day and then 6am searchin--still got Saturday to go...this was Thursday afternoon and Friday morning-bout 6 hours work er fun I mean.... DSC07477.JPG DSC07478.JPG DSC07479.JPG DSC07480.JPG DSC07481.JPG DSC07482.JPG DSC07483.JPG DSC07484.JPG DSC07485.JPG

12. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Collector grade clean on many of those acquisitions!

Square_peg, garry3, Fmont and 3 others like this.
  13. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Wow! What an amazing haul! I really like that clean cut hatchet.... Were the prices fair? Looks like a lot of money but a lot of nice stuff! Congrats man.

Fmont, A17, DOGPOUND77 and 1 other person like this.
  14. DOGPOUND77

DOGPOUND77 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2017
    yes prices were a bit higher on some items and then fair on others but still leaves me room to make a few dollars-some are keepers...

15. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    cityofthesouth, garry3, Fmont and 8 others like this.
  16. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Nice little pre 70's craftsman ace there.

garry3, Fmont, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  17. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Is it possible that it was actually made by TT?

A17 likes this.
  18. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Overall, it certainly looks the part. If it were unmarked, I probably would have assumed it was a Woodslasher by shape and build.

A17 and Miller '72 like this.
  19. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    May I ask how you know it's a pre-70's craftsman? Is it the stamp?? I'm still working on figuring out the craftsman time line in my head.

A17, garry3 and Miller '72 like this.
  20. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It's the pointed A which changed to a barn roof A on Craftsman tools in the late 60's.

junkenstien, A17, garry3 and 2 others like this.