It followed me home (Part 2)

20190708-145132.jpg

Made in
W.Germany?

I think so.
When I get it cleaned up i think I will be able to confirm that

The Wilton vise is most likely not quick release because of the handle on it. The Columbia vise could very well be a quick release vise but you will only be able to tell after it is put together correctly and it will be a quarter turn counter clock wise then release. Very cool stuff Miller!! What a freaking haul!!!!!

The Wilton vise is most likely not quick release because of the handle on it. The Columbia vise could very well be a quick release vise but you will only be able to tell after it is put together correctly and it will be a quarter turn counter clock wise then release. Very cool stuff Miller!! What a freaking haul!!!!!
So not all quick releases had slotted screws?

I've been pretty busy lately so haven't been "hunting". I did make a fleabay purchase however and it arrived today. It was dear but I think worth every penny!
IUFGpNP.jpg
cTcZ9ok.jpg

This one has a temperers mark? I recall seeing this somewhere on a Kelly but I cannot remember where.
5LA4T0B.jpg
CZSlROK.jpg
overlaid bit and made "the old fashion way". You can see where the two steels meet if you look closely.
4NXFRLZ.jpg

I'll be filling the etch(or stamp I'm not sure which it is) with Stiletto's off white before I cold blue it. I've got a real dark and nice 31" haft picked out too. I'm going to go get started!

I've been pretty busy lately so haven't been "hunting". I did make a fleabay purchase however and it arrived today. It was dear but I think worth every penny!
IUFGpNP.jpg
cTcZ9ok.jpg

This one has a temperers mark? I recall seeing this somewhere on a Kelly but I cannot remember where.
5LA4T0B.jpg
CZSlROK.jpg
overlaid bit and made "the old fashion way". You can see where the two steels meet if you look closely.
4NXFRLZ.jpg

I'll be filling the etch(or stamp I'm not sure which it is) with Stiletto's off white before I cold blue it. I've got a real dark and nice 31" haft picked out too. I'm going to go get started!
That is definitely an axe that inspires a project!

So not all quick releases had slotted screws?

On my bench now I have a vintage 10” Columbia Vise with a slotted screw which I believe is their “rapid action” Vice and I also have a vintage 7” (I think) Sheldon vise that is a quick release but does not have a slotted screw. The nut is a half nut and it works like a wedge when it is tightened. Works really well. You have to be carefully purchasing them though because that half nut is a brass or bronze part and if you don’t really check it it may have been worn down so much that it won’t even bite on the screw. But I use my Sheldon everyday. It’s probably my most used tool!

That stiletto is sweet.Have a worlds finest that doesn’t have true temper on it at all and it’s monosteel.Sure confusing them Kelly stamps
It is strange isn't it.. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to where the stamps were placed or when. Here's my worlds finest connie with an overlaid bit; 15629759957027217289241194542163.jpgBut here I found that similar temperers mark in front of the eye from a post '49 TT flint edge; 15629761545223692924674670827607.jpgHere again are the temperers mark(s) from the stiletto; 1562976327210434109002708722335.jpg
I think they are the same mark just one is worn more than the other. Keeps us guessing! Part of the fun i guess. If it were easy it wouldn't keep us engaged.

some fun pickin at the v8 ford club of America annual swap meet here in Spokane---always go out set up day and then 6am searchin--still got Saturday to go...this was Thursday afternoon and Friday morning-bout 6 hours work er fun I mean....View attachment 1160433 View attachment 1160434 View attachment 1160435 View attachment 1160436 View attachment 1160437 View attachment 1160438 View attachment 1160439 View attachment 1160440 View attachment 1160441

Collector grade clean on many of those acquisitions!

some fun pickin at the v8 ford club of America annual swap meet here in Spokane---always go out set up day and then 6am searchin--still got Saturday to go...this was Thursday afternoon and Friday morning-bout 6 hours work er fun I mean....View attachment 1160433 View attachment 1160434 View attachment 1160435 View attachment 1160436 View attachment 1160437 View attachment 1160438 View attachment 1160439 View attachment 1160440 View attachment 1160441
Wow! What an amazing haul! I really like that clean cut hatchet.... Were the prices fair? Looks like a lot of money but a lot of nice stuff! Congrats man.

Back