1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Interesting tidbit. Thanks for passing that along! I'm sure it was discussed here on the forum at some point but, sadly, I cannot retain a tenth of what I wish I could! Too many left handed cigarettes when I was younger... lol

junkenstien, Fmont, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    It's certainly possible but being a Craftsman I would first default to assuming it was made by Vaughan. A quick search for a Vaughan cruiser shows a very similar shape. This Vaughan has a lot more wear on the toe but the curves on top and bottom appear to match the Craftsman very closely. The eye bulge also looks very similar. If I were to guess I'd say it was a Vaughan given their very long history with supplying striking tools to Sears (still today).

[​IMG]

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I may have mentioned it a time or two, I originally got the info from Alloy Artifacts via my friends over on a little forum known as the Garage Gazette .

This place is a better resource for axes and hammers...ect, but wrenches ratchets and boxes forget it the old timers over there definitely know their stuff.

Fmont, A17, Yankee Josh and 1 other person like this.
  4. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Those old Coleman Peak 1 stoves are great. They take a shorter plunger then everything else Coleman and they're no longer available the last I checked. But the leather diaphragms are available and thaty's all you need to repair a bad one.

Fmont, A17, DOGPOUND77 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019
    And when is this Craftsman stamp from?

[​IMG]

A17 and crbnSteeladdict like this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    70's would be my guess.
    The A in CRAFTSMAN was pointed before this, and the later axes in the 80's+ were kind of really looking with a rough double line stamp.

Here you can find good info and pictures showing the change in the style of stamp found on the majority of CRAFTSMAN hand tools.
    http://alloy-artifacts.org/craftsman-maker-v.html
    Of course the axes had stamps like this used on no other tools, but the change made to the A was universal.

Fmont, A17, Yankee Josh and 1 other person like this.
  7. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    F2 mark got me thinking about F1 early Craftsman and F9 double https://bladeforums.com/threads/craftsman-stamps.1045932/page-10#post-18928965

I am just curious: Does anybody know when Vaughan's double bit axes went monosteel?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Fmont, Yankee Josh and A17 like this.
  8. DOGPOUND77

DOGPOUND77 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2017
    swap meet today--3 old axes--never seen a hedge hog before.....then stopped at garage sale close to home and found Stanley saw set nos in original box and all the stuff there with it for 7 dollars---man that's better than the swap meet.....heck it don't matter I like stuff....

DSC07493.JPG DSC07495.JPG DSC07496.JPG DSC07497.JPG DSC07489.JPG DSC07490.JPG DSC07491.JPG DSC07492.JPG

9. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019
    Cool finding a Brit axe.

DOGPOUND77 and A17 like this.
  10. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    That no. 43 is incredible. Mine has "character" and some play in the grips that having me checking my results often.

11. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    That's certainly a Interesting ratchet there.

12. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I am curious to see who the maker is on those taps. Impressive looking sizes.

...and to learn who makes that Ratchet. And of course any follow up pictures are always great:)

DOGPOUND77, A17, Fmont and 1 other person like this.
  13. DOGPOUND77

Sep 4, 2017
    sorry taps are already mixed in box with a couple hundred others now---they went up 1"-npt size......

here is more pics of the ratchet- I was told it is a scaffolding wrench--I never saw 1 before....what the heck for 5 dollars????? its cool...
    I thought it was snap-on and that is why I picked it up to look at it....
    DSC07500.JPG DSC07501.JPG DSC07502.JPG DSC07503.JPG DSC07504.JPG

garry3, Miller '72, Fmont and 4 others like this.
  14. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Yep, that's it and you can still but scaffold ratchets of this pattern today.

garry3, A17, Fmont and 3 others like this.
  15. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Gorgeous Stanley 45 with what looks like all the cutters. Is that price staying with you?? That is an awesome haul man!!

16. DOGPOUND77

Sep 4, 2017
    it is nice Stanley 45---2 boxes cutters--box is kinda rough---4 sale sure....pm me.....

garry3, A17, Miller '72 and 1 other person like this.
  17. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    i'v finally found a perfect-handle screwdriver for a reasonable price. 4 bucks

18. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Does anyone recognize a "bushman" hatchet? I don't recall seeing one before. Just curious as to the maker if anyone knows. Mono steel on a red oak haft. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 15633283481275806470519806475359.jpg

DOGPOUND77, junkenstien, A17 and 6 others like this.
  19. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently put some nice walnut scales on a small winged perfect. With brass for the pins! These look great when you get them done!! Nice find!!! Great price too!

DOGPOUND77, SCFlyGuy, A17 and 11 others like this.
  20. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Just a hunch but I'm gonna guess made by Mann for some hardware chain. The blue color reminds of some stuff they did in the 60's. The cheeks say 60's not 70's. And Mann also used poll stamps.
    I have nothing solid, just a hunch.

A17, Agent_H, Fmont and 5 others like this.