It followed me home (Part 2)

Came across this little Craftsman cruiser.

Is it possible that it was actually made by TT?

It's certainly possible but being a Craftsman I would first default to assuming it was made by Vaughan. A quick search for a Vaughan cruiser shows a very similar shape. This Vaughan has a lot more wear on the toe but the curves on top and bottom appear to match the Craftsman very closely. The eye bulge also looks very similar. If I were to guess I'd say it was a Vaughan given their very long history with supplying striking tools to Sears (still today).

Craftsman%20vs%20Vaughan%20Cruiser.jpg

Interesting tidbit. Thanks for passing that along! I'm sure it was discussed here on the forum at some point but, sadly, I cannot retain a tenth of what I wish I could! Too many left handed cigarettes when I was younger... lol

I may have mentioned it a time or two, I originally got the info from Alloy Artifacts via my friends over on a little forum known as the Garage Gazette .

This place is a better resource for axes and hammers...ect, but wrenches ratchets and boxes forget it the old timers over there definitely know their stuff.

some fun pickin at the v8 ford club of America annual swap meet here in Spokane---always go out set up day and then 6am searchin--still got Saturday to go...this was Thursday afternoon and Friday morning-bout 6 hours work er fun I mean....
dsc07477-jpg.1160433

Those old Coleman Peak 1 stoves are great. They take a shorter plunger then everything else Coleman and they're no longer available the last I checked. But the leather diaphragms are available and thaty's all you need to repair a bad one.

And when is this Craftsman stamp from?

axesears.jpg
70's would be my guess.
The A in CRAFTSMAN was pointed before this, and the later axes in the 80's+ were kind of really looking with a rough double line stamp.

Here you can find good info and pictures showing the change in the style of stamp found on the majority of CRAFTSMAN hand tools.
http://alloy-artifacts.org/craftsman-maker-v.html
Of course the axes had stamps like this used on no other tools, but the change made to the A was universal.

It's certainly possible but being a Craftsman I would first default to assuming it was made by Vaughan. A quick search for a Vaughan cruiser shows a very similar shape. This Vaughan has a lot more wear on the toe but the curves on top and bottom appear to match the Craftsman very closely. The eye bulge also looks very similar. If I were to guess I'd say it was a Vaughan given their very long history with supplying striking tools to Sears (still today).

Craftsman%20vs%20Vaughan%20Cruiser.jpg
F2 mark got me thinking about F1 early Craftsman and F9 double https://bladeforums.com/threads/craftsman-stamps.1045932/page-10#post-18928965

I am just curious: Does anybody know when Vaughan's double bit axes went monosteel?

Last edited:
swap meet today--3 old axes--never seen a hedge hog before.....then stopped at garage sale close to home and found Stanley saw set nos in original box and all the stuff there with it for 7 dollars---man that's better than the swap meet.....heck it don't matter I like stuff....

DSC07493.JPG DSC07495.JPG DSC07496.JPG DSC07497.JPG DSC07489.JPG DSC07490.JPG DSC07491.JPG DSC07492.JPG

swap meet today--3 old axes--never seen a hedge hog before.....then stopped at garage sale close to home and found Stanley saw set nos in original box and all the stuff there with it for 7 dollars---man that's better than the swap meet.....heck it don't matter I like stuff....

View attachment 1161020 View attachment 1161021 View attachment 1161022 View attachment 1161023 View attachment 1161024 View attachment 1161025 View attachment 1161026 View attachment 1161027

I am curious to see who the maker is on those taps. Impressive looking sizes.

That's certainly a Interesting ratchet there.

...and to learn who makes that Ratchet. And of course any follow up pictures are always great:)

sorry taps are already mixed in box with a couple hundred others now---they went up 1"-npt size......

here is more pics of the ratchet- I was told it is a scaffolding wrench--I never saw 1 before....what the heck for 5 dollars????? its cool...
I thought it was snap-on and that is why I picked it up to look at it....
DSC07500.JPG DSC07501.JPG DSC07502.JPG DSC07503.JPG DSC07504.JPG

sorry taps are already mixed in box with a couple hundred others now---they went up 1"-npt size......

here is more pics of the ratchet- I was told it is a scaffolding wrench--I never saw 1 before....what the heck for 5 dollars????? its cool...
I thought it was snap-on and that is why I picked it up to look at it....
View attachment 1162015 View attachment 1162016 View attachment 1162017 View attachment 1162018 View attachment 1162019
Yep, that's it and you can still but scaffold ratchets of this pattern today.

some fun pickin at the v8 ford club of America annual swap meet here in Spokane---always go out set up day and then 6am searchin--still got Saturday to go...this was Thursday afternoon and Friday morning-bout 6 hours work er fun I mean....View attachment 1160433 View attachment 1160434 View attachment 1160435 View attachment 1160436 View attachment 1160437 View attachment 1160438 View attachment 1160439 View attachment 1160440 View attachment 1160441

Gorgeous Stanley 45 with what looks like all the cutters. Is that price staying with you?? That is an awesome haul man!!

Just a hunch but I'm gonna guess made by Mann for some hardware chain. The blue color reminds of some stuff they did in the 60's. The cheeks say 60's not 70's. And Mann also used poll stamps.
I have nothing solid, just a hunch.

Back