It followed me home (Part 2)

Nice! Thank you DA for displaying restraint, Good find Hickory!

Not a bad for a first boys axe is say, a little rough around the edges but they gave 'em what they needed where it really mattered.

As we speak the fawns foot is being glued, I was able to get the head up a bit and carve just enough wood away to set the head back down with 1/16" proud.
I don't know if BLO is going to swell it enough, but the wedge looks like it's popping out a little so I'm hoping I can just set it back down and be good to go.

Not a bad for a first boys axe is say, a little rough around the edges but they gave 'em what they needed where it really mattered.

As we speak the fawns foot is being glued, I was able to get the head up a bit and carve just enough wood away to set the head back down with 1/16" proud.
I don't know if BLO is going to swell it enough, but the wedge looks like it's popping out a little so I'm hoping I can just set it back down and be good to go.
Safe to say that is the first oil it has seen since leaving the factory given its good condition. I hope it tightens up for you. Do you soak the head or just dab it in there. I usually throw mine head down in a bucket for a day or so. I've heard others say that is ridiculous. Just curious. I'm new to all this and trying to learn as much as I can.

Also, since you brought up trying to get 1/16" proud out of it. Is that just personal preference? I see it from time to time. I really like the looks of it. And I am for sure going to try that on my next hang. Is that the way it is supposed to be, or just another way of doing things? Again, I'm just trying to learn.

Reactions: A17
Safe to say that is the first oil it has seen since leaving the factory given its good condition. I hope it tightens up for you. Do you soak the head or just dab it in there. I usually throw mine head down in a bucket for a day or so. I've heard others say that is ridiculous. Just curious. I'm new to all this and trying to learn as much as I can.

Also, since you brought up trying to get 1/16" proud out of it. Is that just personal preference? I see it from time to time. I really like the looks of it. And I am for sure going to try that on my next hang. Is that the way it is supposed to be, or just another way of doing things? Again, I'm just trying to learn.
Oh no. Haha

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/6lb-axe-riveting-discussion-on-proud-hafts.1642837/

It's a common practice that helps a head stay tight, the proud wood spreads out.

Normally I just put some on the wood repeatedly, but a soak would probably do this one some good.
I tried putting some duct tape around so the oil can sit there and soak in but it just ran out , when I wiped it off a bunch of the sticker came with it.

This is what it looked like when I got it.

Kind of a bummer, but there wasn't all that much there anyway and I don't need that sticker to know what it is.

It's a common practice that helps a head stay tight, the proud wood spreads out.

Normally I just put some on the wood repeatedly, but a soak would probably do this one some good.
I tried putting some duct tape around so the oil can sit there and soak in but it just ran out , when I wiped it off a bunch of the sticker came with it.

This is what it looked like when I got it.

Kind of a bummer, but there wasn't all that much there anyway and I don't need that sticker to know what it is.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the feedback! Still looks good from here!

Nice one Hns the six ridge eyes are the best i think,got a four ridge eye boys axe like that and it must have been right before they went out of business its the worst finish i have seen on a true temper.Glad to see not all the foil labels are like that.

Nice one Hns the six ridge eyes are the best i think,got a four ridge eye boys axe like that and it must have been right before they went out of business its the worst finish i have seen on a true temper.Glad to see not all the foil labels are like that.

The finish on this one is rough ground on the top bottom and poll, but that's just from a very coarse grinding belt or wheel and the head isn't misshapen or anything.

I found something sharp! And pretty cool if you ask me. W. Campbell. St. Johns New Brunswick
fZEsXmP.jpg
dIIHK9o.jpg
DhCTDoh.jpg
XVfmyIx.jpg
StGgSqq.jpg
XK3kJot.jpg
Sr5Qsc9.jpg

I wire wheeled it and oiled it;
ERSZw6m.jpg
9POwlw8.jpg
cYAweCM.jpg

This one is pretty old I think. Made between 1879-1891 from info I've seen. At the most I'll just hone the edge that's there and I might not do that. Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Looks like a good one. Does it have the eagle? I can make out the V. But that's about all my eyes will allow LOL. Look forward to seeing how it turns out!

It looks to. The etchings are extensive. Just after I was talking about how I don't go in for these much I ran into this feller. The saving grace being it doesn't need anything except to be cleaned up.

I found something sharp! And pretty cool if you ask me.
fZEsXmP.jpg
dIIHK9o.jpg
DhCTDoh.jpg
XVfmyIx.jpg
StGgSqq.jpg
XK3kJot.jpg
Sr5Qsc9.jpg

I wire wheeled it and oiled it;
ERSZw6m.jpg
9POwlw8.jpg
cYAweCM.jpg

This one is pretty old I think. Made between 1879-1891 from info I've seen. At the most I'll just hone the edge that's there and I might not do that. Thanks for checking it out!

That is cool, nice score!

Has anyone ever seen this handle style on a hatchet? I picked it up just because it was unique. I can't make out any markings, there is something that may have been a makers mark at one point. But I just can't see it. Maybe someone more familiar with this style would have a suggestion?

Back