It's raining Slysz Bowies Halleluyah!

I think I'd like to see a new Persian shaped blade. Love my Ayoob but not a super fan of the back lock.

Out of curiosity, is the Slysz Bowie a well designed knife from an ergonomic and cutting perspective??

Right.
Not to mention that a young woman becomes a self-made billionaire though doing sbsolutely nothing but selfies. Topsy-turvy.

Different times man...the branding now is on people instead being on items..you ask people what job do you like most and you will get answers like youtuber/some kind of social media influencer...i do not know your age but i don't think it sounds strange in any way for young people now, as it does to me and others alike.

That's a lot of spinach for a relatively boring Spyderco. I'd rather put that money towards a custom or a nice used inkosi CF or inlayed.

Talking only for looks since i've never handled it, i feel the same way here.
Same thing that i've felt for the Spyderchef..I really like that blade design but it leaves me with a feeling that it's missing something.
For this money i would also prefer to try some version of the Sebenza than the Bowie.

..you ask people what job do you like most and you will get answers like youtuber/some kind of social media influencer... i don't think it sounds strange in any way for young people now, as it does to me and others alike.
That might be the saddest thing, Ive ever read.
NB Not referring to you.

I'd like to own one but wouldn't pay over $300 for one NIB. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing one when they announced they were being discontinued.

This thread is hilarious. And my only response to the "Nick Shabazz Secret Flipper OMG" conspiracy is that if I am secretly pumping and dumping, I'm awful at it, because I post videos like this:

Also, I hope desperately that Spyderco announces a Slysz Bowie 2, so that all of the flippers who bought high to sell to a greater fool are left holding the bag.

Last edited:
Spydercos have a way of cooling off on price, too. After they're discontinued a sought after model will shoot up in price, as everyone just has to have what they missed out on. Time goes by and people move on. The price goes down often dramatically. I have some models that were bringing 100-150 more a few years back than now.

This thread is hilarious. And my only response to the "Nick Shabazz Secret Flipper OMG" conspiracy is that if I am secretly pumping and dumping, I'm awful at it, because I post videos like this:

Also, I hope desperately that Spyderco announces a Slysz Bowie 2, so that all of the flippers who bought high to sell to a greater fool are left holding the bag.
Yeah, it's funny, but that wasn't how the thread started. (OP here.) I said you hyped the knife, which resulted in huge demand. Next, I cynically wondered how everyone and their mother magically has a new Slysz Bowie to sell every day (?) on the exchange. Later in the thread, someone connected those two pieces and said that you were the Kenneth Lay of Spyderco.

... and said that you were the Kenneth Lay of Spyderco.

That was a good one. I didn't know who was Kenneth Lay so i had to look him up...some guy.. According to Wikipedia 20.000(!) people lost their job after the bankruptcies he caused

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

There were 2 or 3 over the past few days to be fair. Not that I think there is some weird spyderco conspiracy or anything.

Though they probably need to put out the Slysz Bowie 2 at this point.
Why wouldn’t Spyderco do a second version? Seems like a no brainer.

I am in for a second version. That would be sick.

But, Spyderco, please focus on the Paysan. The Slysz Bowie 2.0 can wait.

Reactions: Mo2
Plain Ti bored me. An inlay, scale, or a unique pattern gets my attention, colors too. I don't really care for frame locks in general. If I could get a Sebenza or inkosi with a more square thumbstuds, I'd get a CF or inlayed one. Otherwise, it's difficult for me to open.

Why wouldn’t Spyderco do a second version? Seems like a no brainer.
Just from reading some of the posts, I think I know the answer to that one.
The first version was discontinued because after the brief initial interest was satisfied, it didn't t sell well. It only lasted what, a couple of years?
Also, as JJ noted, Spyderco s go through a brief hot period when they are first discontinued, then cool off.
I bet the next Slyz Spyderco brings out, if ever, won t be another Bowie.

To give a little perspective here to the people who ask, "Why did Spyderco stop making the Slysz Bowie when it's selling for $450?" first, it wasn't selling for $450 before they discontinued it. Two factors jacked up its selling price: (1) Heavy hitters like Nick Shabazz praising it. (Yup, his words move markets, despite the whole "I'm just a humble jackass; what do I know?" online persona. And by the way, I am not at all saying that his praise was disingenuous or that he had some ulterior motive; he really friggin' likes his Slysz, I'm sure.) (2) Spyderco discontinuing it. Someone astutely pointed out that spikes due to (2) eventually resolve themselves. Right after Michael Jackson died, photos of him were going for lots of money; later (long before the documentary came out), those prices naturally cooled off.

Also, remember that Spyderco routinely does things that are difficult to understand. For instance, when they sell a Shaman in M4 in such quantities and at such a price that the whole stock sells out in 7 minutes (yup, I got mine), you have to ask yourself, "Why not sell it at $250, $275, or even $300? Those knives will sell at a considerably higher price than $200, and the only things Spyderco accomplishes by selling their sprint runs below market value are (a) shortages, and (b) a secondary market where the knives will be sold at a price that more accurately reflects their value, where a middleman (the flippers) take another cut. There's nothing wrong with flipping, in my opinion, but I do wonder why Spyderco or BHQ wouldn't want that money for itself. Spyderco and BHQ are leaving money on the table for no reason. Anyway, my point here is that you don't always understand why Spyderco does what it does.

Last edited:
Back