John Lloyd Knives

Thanks, guys...I'm sure John will get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the kind remarks. :thumbup:

I had no idea what John was actually going to build for me. I asked him if he'd consider a two blade knife and gave him a few of my likes and dislikes as far as patterns, blades, size and scale material were concerned. I wanted the project to be enjoyable for him so I asked him to build one that he could have some fun with.

I was actually quite surprised that he sent me a gunstock pattern as I only own one, a large clip point / pen blade version by Enrique Pena.

John's knife is in my pocket as we speak. He and I spent a good while on the phone last night going over all the pluses and minuses of the knife and construction.
(John asked me beforehand to give him honest feedback and so I tried to provide as much info as my eyes and hands could glean at first blush.)

The pattern was based upon John's own drawing and rendition. It was not based upon any particular production model. John told me that he selected the blades based upon what I had told him I liked.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased and am enjoying toting this handsome little fella around in pocket. The 52100 takes a very nice edge as well.

Thanks again, John. :cool:

Ditto on the 52100. I stropped the very light wire burr off of the main blade and it is phenominally sharp. I am carrying that Texas Jack today and each day I am more and more enamored with it.

Last edited:
I have two Lloyd toothpicks on the way, my first customs. From what I've seen in this thread, I'm pretty excited about them. They're early knives from the Blade show, so I'm not expecting perfection. But since I've never owned a custom before, I don't think I would properly appreciate perfection if I had it. I'll post up some pics when the knives arrive.

What impresses me the most about what I've seen of Mr. Lloyds output is not so much the volume, but the variety! Good heavens Sir, where are all of these patterns coming from? ;) It seems like he's trying to make a few of every single pattern just so he can figure out which ones he likes the best. A strategy I very much appreciate. If you want to get to know knives, that's a pretty good way to go about it. Very cool. :thumbup:

Andy, I just read your title next to your avatar :D :thumbup:
You must show us your first customs when you get them, so far I am most impressed with my knives made by John...most impressed!

Campbellclanman, thanks for starting this thread. That is some damn fine stag there, exactly as a stag handled knife is supposed to look like. None of this crappy 'fat stag' that comes from using whatever one has on hand and buffing down the ends to meet the bolsters.

Thanks for the tip on this fine maker! I don't hang around enough in forums, and this is the kinda maker I miss out on learning of.

Campbellclanman, thanks for starting this thread. That is some damn fine stag there, exactly as a stag handled knife is supposed to look like. None of this crappy 'fat stag' that comes from using whatever one has on hand and buffing down the ends to meet the bolsters.

Thanks for the tip on this fine maker! I don't hang around enough in forums, and this is the kinda maker I miss out on learning of.
My pleasure Sir!!...in fact I blame Vince for this :thumbup::thumbup::D
Like Elliot and Corey , Vince...in fact everyone that I read who have spoken to John all comment on what a great guy he is, I am carrying a lovely slimeline trapper toady of his...man its a pleasure to own.

I got to meet with John the other day and first let me say what a fine gentleman he is. With a fine family as well! It was a pleasure John and I look forward to spending more time with you in the future. John had out a nice selection of knives I got to paw over and came away with a couple. Quality is going up! Absolutely exquisite ivory on the Trapper and the stag is not bad either! Enjoy!

DSCN3712.jpg

DSCN3713.jpg

DSCN3714.jpg

Wow,...Brad, they are some awesome looking knives, I love that Wharnie - now that is so close to being a swayback!, would you call it that?
The Ivory looks stunning, I love that long Ivory Trapper :thumbup: ( they should put a drooling smiley in there for this reason alone )

Love them all! Especially the little guy (Ivory one). Time to make a call to John Lloyd!

Last edited:
Mmm. The stag on that swayback-lookin' jack is mighty tasty. I really like the pattern on that one. Looks very old-school to me. :thumbup: Beautiful knives Brad, all of them!

Hi guys..i thought id share a pic of my John Lloyd slippy (thanks to Duncan)...8 1/4 inches of goodness...great snap,centering half stops...just a pleasure to own....FES

lloydice001.jpg

Posted elsewhere, but wanted my slim trapper in the dedicated Lloyd thread as well. 4-1/4" closed, 52100 carbon steel, red stag.

LloydTrapper.jpg

That's a beauty Jeff! The stag John has been using on the knives posted here looks terrific. Thanks for sharing.

Just got a couple I plan to carry. This backpocket is really neat. I think copper bolsters paired with stag is a very cool look.
CMH_9-30-2011_031.jpg

Secondly, this jack in mammoth ivory. The two scales are not matched so well. It may bother some people, but I don't mind it at all.
The spring and blade are quite thick at 1/8", making for a very solid knife but still a hair under 4" overall.
CMH_9-30-2011_044.jpg

CMH_9-30-2011_045.jpg

Wow , two awesome scores ! Love that blade shape on the 2nd one......

guess it is time for me to order my 2nd one from John :)

Decided to put this Case Knives lanyard on the John Lloyd , doesnt look too bad.

IMG_0019x.jpg

Thank you John for your input in this thread, That photo is a killer!...it shows Johns ability to scale these knives like the craftsman that he truly is.
Cory, mate....two great knives you have there, I dont mind the match on your scales of the mammoth Ivory, the " crack" on the face side scale by the bolster completes the set if you ask me, both knives are very:cool:

Back