Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Ken and I corresponded last week about this and that, but not related to knives. He is well.

And for those of you who know Jerry Halfrich, (who I had the pleasure of introducing to Ken some years ago)...I spoke to him the other day and he is also doing well, and slowly getting back into the knife making game after a few rough years.

I speak with Ken occasionally and would concur. He is well!

View attachment 1189028 View attachment 1189024

I wish I had more than one of Ken’s knives to draw conclusions from. However, it seems to me that he has a unique way of making knives that are tough but not clunky. This Sowbelly is completely traditional, yet it somehow manages to have a contemporary sophistication at the same time; similar to my Seamster Pro. I realize that is probably an oxymoron, but I don't know how else to say it.

I would love to hear what the rest of you think. Thanks @LastRodeo and Blues Blues . Your knives show exactly what I am trying to explain. There is something completely unique in his execution. Well done @ken erickson !
The knife is amazing. Love the Omega Seamaster too!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good to hear Ken is doing well. He was an accomplished gunsmith and stockmaker before venturing into knifemaking.

Blues Blues it’s great hearing about Jerry and Janice. They had a rough time during those terrible floods. I haven’t talked with Jerry in several years, it was nice seeing them at Blade each year...maybe again in the future.

Ken and I corresponded last week about this and that, but not related to knives. He is well.

And for those of you who know Jerry Halfrich, (who I had the pleasure of introducing to Ken some years ago)...I spoke to him the other day and he is also doing well, and slowly getting back into the knife making game after a few rough years.
Thanks for the updates Elliott. Glad to hear they are all doing well and it's good to see you too.

Gentlemen, I share your affection for Omega’s. Here is my dad’s 1967 Speedmaster. Had to replace the hands & strap but it is otherwise original. Still is my most accurate automatic watch at +1 sec/day. My dad worked for a company that subcontracted with NASA and the Speedmaster was the cat’s ass to all the techies back then.

Now if I can only find a Ken Erickson knife to add to the photo.....:(

View attachment 1325822

Bring some Buffalo Trace over and I'll let you take a picture with some of mine. :cool:

(Though I prefer Henry McKenna bottled-in-bond. :p)

Deal. Agree McKenna is top notch

give Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style a try. It surprised me in a very positive way.

I just looked back at the sales thread, Feb/2013 I got this knife off this forum. Its been in my pocket more than any other knife I've owned since.

NsFXLrR.jpg

Hope to see some more one day.

Glad to hear about Mr. Halfrich, he was my other favorite maker at the time. I had one of his knives, (linerless winchester trapper in CF/154cm) traded it - regretted it but it got lost in a tragic fire so I never could get it back. Blues Blues is the contact on his website still good?

Blues Blues His website is now down - i don't want to derail this thread but i couldn't figure out how to drop you a msg
could you please shoot me an email to iskgn1 at gmail

Never say never, I guess. I was lucky to get this dogleg recently. As far as I can tell, I'm the fourth owner. Some scratches on the shield (looks worse in the scan) but otherwise still very minty.

Here's the description from one of the other times it sold on BF:

"The centered 2-1/8" blade is of CPM-154, with a great long pull and nice swedge. The spring is flush in the closed, half stop, and open positions. The scales are elephant ivory with polished nickel silver bolsters. Closed length is 3 inches. Opened LOA is 5-1/8".

I tried to get pics outside (too bright) and inside (bad light) before resorting to the scanner that doesn't work that well.
liH7SgZ.jpg

WLLOtrP.jpg

5RkceJD.jpg

Never say never, I guess. I was lucky to get this dogleg recently. As far as I can tell, I'm the fourth owner. Some scratches on the shield (looks worse in the scan) but otherwise still very minty.

Here's the description from one of the other times it sold on BF:

"The centered 2-1/8" blade is of CPM-154, with a great long pull and nice swedge. The spring is flush in the closed, half stop, and open positions. The scales are elephant ivory with polished nickel silver bolsters. Closed length is 3 inches. Opened LOA is 5-1/8".

I tried to get pics outside (too bright) and inside (bad light) before resorting to the scanner that doesn't work that well.
liH7SgZ.jpg

WLLOtrP.jpg

5RkceJD.jpg
Very nice, Mike! That's a wonderful looking little knife!

Great Dogleg, Mike!! Nice, and fortunate find! Ken's knives have become as rare as the man himself around here; I wonder if he will ever get back into knifemaking - such beautiful knives!!:cool:
I didn't have to go far to find this one - I've had it for years!!:rolleyes:
A little over 3 1/16", this Teardrop is made with a nice "flourish" in the Elephant handles, and on the Cap bolsters!!:thumbsup:
Made on a creative day, I reckon!!;)Elephant TD A.jpg Elephant TD B.jpg Elephant TD C.jpg
If you are out there, Ken, I hope all is well!!:)

Here is one of mine that Ken made me back in the day. It's a reproduction of a German Eye Brand lock back.
Ken had some beautiful butterscotch Westinghouse and he reserved for me for this project. The knife is a beautiful piece of practical craftsmanship.

I was lucky to catch this one, I followed this thread from when it was started till couple of years ago and always wanted one of Ken's knives. 3 5/8" closed micarta handles, arched stamp on one side, number 6 on the other side (wonder what it means). Such a great knife
Mike
1624968752835.png

Last edited:
mike Berkovitch mike Berkovitch , At a certain point Ken numbered his knife blades to determine the steel. The “6” means it should be CPM154 I’m pretty sure. Lovely little EDC!

As you can see from Charlie’s pics, the older knives weren’t marked in this system. Your arch stamp is a newer build than the block letter stamped knives.

Last edited:
Back