1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Blues, Jan 30, 2010.

1. ptradeco

ptradeco Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    Cha
    Charlie I believe there is a species that lives in your neck of the woods. Ask Roland, I think he has some on his property. Sort of like Morel mushrooms. One of nature’s great treats!

knowtracks likes this.
  2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    There is no mushroom as good as Morels!!! It's the season also!!

knifethetank and knowtracks like this.
  3. wlfryjr

wlfryjr

Oct 20, 2011
    Ken has jigged some of the most amazing bone. The jigging on his navy knives is some of the all time best I’ve ever seen.

I’m not at my computer where I have pictures of them.

Leslie Tomville likes this.
  4. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    301065C4-3AE6-4E22-883A-BBE6C06E2F6A.jpeg D21B99EC-8DDF-4C19-8E8E-F0C23433FB9B.jpeg

I wish I had more than one of Ken’s knives to draw conclusions from. However, it seems to me that he has a unique way of making knives that are tough but not clunky. This Sowbelly is completely traditional, yet it somehow manages to have a contemporary sophistication at the same time; similar to my Seamster Pro. I realize that is probably an oxymoron, but I don't know how else to say it.

I would love to hear what the rest of you think. Thanks @LastRodeo and @Blues. Your knives show exactly what I am trying to explain. There is something completely unique in his execution. Well done @ken erickson !

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  5. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I have a couple of Ken’s knives. They are both perfection and at the same time made to be used.

mrknife and Leslie Tomville like this.
  6. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    This is the one that started my journey with Ken back some years ago. I told him what I had in mind for the blades and the pattern and he did the rest. Even way back then he was a hell of a knife maker. Every one I own is a favorite.

Erickson Bone Hunter2.jpg Erickson Bone Hunter1.jpg Erickson Bone Hunter.jpg

JB in SC, tongueriver, Llasi and 3 others like this.
  7. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    after the last clearance, im back down to one custom traditional and I am glad it is a Ken Erickson!

8. ptradeco

ptradeco Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    My avatar is a Ken Erickson that he most generously collaborated with me on some number of years ago. I call it a Baby Cattle. It is described earlier in this thread. It has been in my pocket every since delivery except for a couple of fluff and buff returns to Ken. BTW Leslie, I wear am Omega as well. Quality loves company!

9. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Me too...

Scan_016.jpg

10. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Was there a "buy an Erickson, get a Seamaster" sale I missed out on?

FLymon and Leslie Tomville like this.
  11. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    I bought it for myself earlier in the same year I retired from my job in federal law enforcement. It turned out to be a good idea since the watch I got from Uncle Sam was an embarrassment. :p

Leslie Tomville and LastRodeo like this.
  12. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    A91A8E7A-8027-4F69-A1E9-EE481DCAB2C2.jpeg

Well that’s too funny. I guess I should not be surprised. Omega is a lot of watch for the money. Just like Ken’s knives are a hell of a knife for the price. They are not cheap by any means; just a huge bang for the buck. I wonder if that makes Tony’s knives the Rolex’s of the knife world? I don’t think he would like that comparison, but Bose knives are definitely investment quality. Heck, even at what they cost, I cannot say that Bose knives are overpriced. I have a feeling that one day they will sell for as much as Loveless knives, but I hope that day is far, far away, for our sake and Tony’s!

I have noticed that Omega watches seem to be the extremely popular with traditional knife collectors. @ptradeco

@Blues , my background is also in federal law enforcement. We will have to compare notes one day. BTW, that blue dial Seamaster is a classic. Beautiful! Congratulations on picking that one and having the insight to hold on to it.

@LastRodeo , sorry you missed the Omega Seamaster giveaway. It was limited to the first 50 Erickson knife purchases.

13. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    It was an easy decision. (I actually do have a couple other nice watches but not automatics.)

At least my plaque referenced my legacy agency and work...

Can you say pot metal?

FullSizeRender.jpg

14. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Yes, I retired from gummint and got the sad watch. I have always thought that a watch of any kind carried some special irony as a retirement gift. Nothing ironic about my K.E. stockman.

Leslie Tomville and Blues like this.