Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

I was lucky to catch this one, I followed this thread from when it was started till couple of years ago and always wanted one of Ken's knives. 3 5/8" closed micarta handles, arched stamp on one side, number 6 on the other side (wonder what it means). Such a great knife
Mike
View attachment 1591537
Lovely knife, Mike! Glad you were able to find one.

It's been awhile since I posted my one and only. I think my pic in this thread was spoiled by PB.
I never grow tired of this one. I've had it since 2010.
OcMK9Gv.jpg

mike Berkovitch mike Berkovitch , At a certain point Ken numbered his knives blades to determine the steel. The “6” means it should be CPM154 I’m pretty sure. Lovely little EDC!

As you can see from Charlie’s pics, the older knives weren’t marked in this system. Your arch stamp is a newer build than the block letter stamped knives.
Thanks for the information, it's great little knife, definitely a dream come true

I should update this thread with new pics of this knife as well. This is probably the nicest “edc” model I’ve seen from Ken. I love that he used a small pivot pin right through the stag with no collar so that it matches the scale pins. His usual 3-5/8” size and it has the super fine coining on the liners all the way around.

I forget if Ken did that on all of them, I had a few others over the years in ebony but can’t remember if the coining was the same and I lost the pics. This one was originally owned by Charles (chuko) and he had said it was always one of his favorites as well.

ptKhyt8.jpg

Dxprfjm.jpg

RogdcOV.jpg

I should update this thread with new pics of this knife as well. This is probably the nicest “edc” model I’ve seen from Ken. I love that he used a small pivot pin right through the stag with no collar so that it matches the scale pins. His usual 3-5/8” size and it has the super fine coining on the liners all the way around.

I forget if Ken did that on all of them, I had a few others over the years in ebony but can’t remember if the coining was the same and I lost the pics. This one was originally owned by Charles (chuko) and he had said it was always one of his favorites as well.

ptKhyt8.jpg

Dxprfjm.jpg

RogdcOV.jpg
Nice Stag, Jake!! Ken really did a good job on fitting it!!👍
Another Stag!!:cool:Eng Stag 2.jpgEng Stag 3.jpg

mike Berkovitch mike Berkovitch , At a certain point Ken numbered his knife blades to determine the steel. The “6” means it should be CPM154 I’m pretty sure. Lovely little EDC!

As you can see from Charlie’s pics, the older knives weren’t marked in this system. Your arch stamp is a newer build than the block letter stamped knives.

Nice Stag, Jake!! Ken really did a good job on fitting it!!👍
Another Stag!!:cool:View attachment 1591735

So here's a quiz (to which I don't know all the answers):

What steel is referenced by each of Ken's numbers?
1. _____
2. _____
3. CPM154 (per Jsega51's post above)
4. _____
5. _____
6. D2 (on the micarta handled model I own)
7. _____ (on Charlie's stag model above)

So here's a quiz (to which I don't know all the answers):

What steel is referenced by each of Ken's numbers?
1. _____
2. _____
3. CPM154 (per Jsega51's post above)
4. _____
5. _____
6. D2 (on the micarta handled model I own)
7. _____ (on Charlie's stag model above)
I think there is an explanation early in this thread, but I gave up looking for a while!

A little history!! Ken was doing a little housecleaning, and sent this old knife to me, with an electro-etched tang mark! Turns out, it is the first folder that Ken ever made!! 😲 Talk about feeling honored!!😊 I value it as much as any of his knives!!:oops:
First knife 1.jpgFirst knife 2.jpgFirst knife 3.jpg
P.S. this knife has integral bolsters!!

Last edited:
dcpritch dcpritch , waynorth waynorth and mike Berkovitch mike Berkovitch I found this on page 63.…

As some may know I started using a number system to denote the blade steel on a knife. Here is that chart, updated. I started installing pivot bushings in a select few knives. I came up with a "period" or "dot" after the blade steel number. If a knife has this "dot" , then a bushing is installed.

1=01
2=A2
3=D2
4=ATS-34
5=154cm
6=CPM154cm
7=CPM D2

. along side the steel number denotes a bushing install

Here is a picture of a Jmp (Junior Michigan Pen) going to Blade show. Reading the tang would signify CPM154cm with a bushing.

IMGP9586_edited-1.jpg

IMGP9585_edited-1.jpg

IMGP9581_edited-1.jpg

IMGP9579_edited-1.jpg

To keep the ongoing retrospective complete, here is the first known Arkansas Hunter Lockback in custom form.
After CEing and CFing this knife, I am convinced Ken no longer has any hair on his head, after pulling it out trying to get this knife built. :eek:
The flat, faceted bolsters must have been as nerve-wracking as cutting a diamond! And executing a locking system as smooth and authoritative as this one, takes patience and perseverence!:cool:
I'm sure Ken credits Tony Bose's pattern-making skills for getting him a head start, but it's a long road from the pattern to the knife!
Ken hit the bone jigging and dying "just right", and the shaping and finishes transport me right back to the turn of the last century.
Indeed, this knife is a suitable companion to a fine Parker shotgun!!👍
EricksonAHLB1.jpg
Bumped this post from 2010!!

Ken Erickson is one of a special breed of knife makers that requires no road map or pre-constructed plan to get to his destination...

How many makers could make this knife on a dare without a go-by? And then wait several months to spring it on the darer, (who had forgotten about it entirely), at the Blade Show to prove a point? Not many.

erickson norfolk 11.jpgerickson norfolk 9.jpgerickson norfolk 7.jpgerickson norfolk 6.jpgerickson norfolk 4.jpgerickson norfolk 3.jpgerickson norfolk 2.jpgErickson Norfolk.jpg

Ken Erickson is one of a special breed of knife makers that requires no road map or pre-constructed plan to get to his destination...

How many makers could make this knife on a dare without a go-by? And then wait several months to spring it on the darer, (who had forgotten about it entirely), at the Blade Show to prove a point? Not many.

View attachment 1591826View attachment 1591827View attachment 1591828View attachment 1591829View attachment 1591830View attachment 1591831View attachment 1591832View attachment 1591833
Wow 😍 Thanks for sharing.

Back