Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

Blackjack Marauder MK 1-A 15"

Blackjack Marauder MK 1-A.jpg

http://cutlerscove.com/survival-knives/blackjackmarauder-mk1.htm

Originally posted by ddean
...similar design...

ddean = yes. getting closer. However, the one thing missing on all of the other photographs shown so far is the deepness of the belly. I've not seen too many short Khukuris with big bellies. Just the Bulldog Villager (which by now everyone is probably tired of hearing me talk about;) ).

In comparing this design to others like the 12" AK, 9-10" CBKC, etc. I still like my latest design iteration best.

It has a large belly, an agressive tip, the point is not too dropped - which should help the balance, eventually the handlework will be added - and should make it spectacular, the handle is large enough for a solid grip - but not too big, and hopefully if the blade comes in somewhere between 1/4" and 5/16" it will be a good striker, slicer, and maybe even a carver (not a chopper, though).

DaveK = I'll let you know once it arrives.

Dan, your model went this afternoon. :)

I sent it priority mail insured, so hopefully we're looking at monday or tuesday as an eta in Maryland.

FWIW I didn't think any of the pix looked quite like your model model either, though some of those knives (esp. the Blackjack) looked pretty desirable to me...

Also, I made the blade part out of 1/4" poplar, hope that's not thinner than you wanted, though the kamis will probably eventually decide on their own what thickness they want to make it; with my katar I made the model a bit on the thick side and they thinned it down in production as I hoped they would, so hopefully they will either make your final product to model specs or beef it up only slightly.

-Dave

I like what I see very much. I would personally like one a couple of inches shorter, but that is just me. I am sure most people would think that this is about as short as they would want.

DaveK = your wood model arrived in a very excellent package! Thanks!

It looks really good. I'm going to make a slight modification and send it off to Uncle Bill.

Perhaps I should soak it in fire-retardant first? :D Then, the Kamis will be mystified when it doesn't burn in the forge, and maybe they'll consider it "a sign" and do it for us. :D:D

Glad it finally got there.

I was thinking that you might want to paint it so that the kamis know to make it stick tang style and not chiruwa style.

What kind of modifications are you making Dan?

Can you post some pix after you have completed them?

-Dave

DaveK - that box it came in was the best shipping I'd ever seen!

Mods = The belly seems a bit too full. I'll just take a little off to make it less "bulbous".

I'll get some scans up in a couple-o-days too.

Thanks again!

The model turned out great and is quite run to play with. :cool:
It's going to be tough to give it up. :(
Good job DaveK!! :D :eek:

I see this design as being more of a kamping khuk. I will want to use it to make "fuzz" sticks, do light chopping, kitchen work, and wood carving (roughing) = things that are too difficult even with my 13.5" villager. (too thick and heavy)

Uncle Bill = when you're ready, I'll send it off. (not without a few tears, though...;))

Dan, you're an artist! Must be that good Maryland genealogy. ;) I want one of these! :eek:

I wish we knew what the kamis say when they see these models for the first time!

Ok. Here's the list of takers so far:

mPisi
SkagSig40
Eich1911
Terr
Snipehunta
raghorn
pendentive

and a few maybe's from:

wildmanh
D7reamers
KWM

please let me know if you want on/off this list.

I bet the Incentive will speak louder than words or models. Good show, alswys glad to see we can help the hardy and underappreciated Nepalese

Keith

Back