Kitchen KITH 2022

Ready. Will post better pictures tomorrow if the sun cooperates.
52Sm4gc.jpeg

It seems there are a few people that might need an extra day or two to finish up their knives, so I will do the drawing at the end of the week instead of Tuesday.
What's the last day to post the pics of finished knife then? Thanks. I just need to shape the scales.

What's the last day to post the pics of finished knife then? Thanks. I just need to shape the scales.
If everybody could send their info by 6pm EST on Sunday would be great. That'll give me some time to do the drawing after dinner and send out the addresses.

I got my name etched and started sharpening. I would be finished sharpening but I scratched the blade and had to chase a few scratches. I should finish it tonight and then have a day or two to test it and see if I thinks it’s good enough to submit. I’ve already found a few things I wish I could change. Anyways, here’s where I’m at right now:

8p2H93W.jpg

This is my first knife this big and in addition to underestimating the time I would need to hand sand, I really didn’t think how my name would look etched in a bigger blade. I might need to get a bigger mark for the bigger knives, mine looks tiny on this one.

I got my name etched and started sharpening. I would be finished sharpening but I scratched the blade and had to chase a few scratches. I should finish it tonight and then have a day or two to test it and see if I thinks it’s good enough to submit. I’ve already found a few things I wish I could change. Anyways, here’s where I’m at right now:

8p2H93W.jpg

This is my first knife this big and in addition to underestimating the time I would need to hand sand, I really didn’t think how my name would look etched in a bigger blade. I might need to get a bigger mark for the bigger knives, mine looks tiny on this one.
Your name looks fine to me. I’ve read complaints about logos being too big, but not too small. IMO it’s fine as long as it can be read without using a magnifying glass.

8p2H93W.jpg

I don't mind the smaller makers mark, keeps the blade finish nice and clean.

Personally I think it's looking pretty good overall. Lovely timber on the handle, good usable profile and looks like you've got it pretty thin bte as well.

Thanks for the feedback! I won’t worry too much about the small-ish mark then.

And I had hoped to get it a little thinner but I think it should still cut alright once sharpened.

It’s been a huge learning experience for me and thank you to all you who have given feedback and posted pictures which has helped me keep on track!

8p2H93W.jpg

I agree with Nick, it looks good. It's easy to focus on the flaws in one's work and not see anything else, even though most people would never notice them unless you point them out. On my knife, I can see (and measure) something I'm not happy with, but none of the people I've shown the knife to can even see it. So don't worry too much about it, it's all about having fun and learning in the process.

hECYLj5.jpg

I might switch my knife to this one? W2 with a hamon, kind of, and bird’s eye maple handle. Not sure which you guys prefer? I like the AEB-L first one because it’s thinner and stainless, but I don’t like the grey pins and liners not matching the green handle.

Let me know please.

hECYLj5.jpg

I might switch my knife to this one? W2 with a hamon, kind of, and bird’s eye maple handle. Not sure which you guys prefer? I like the AEB-L first one because it’s thinner and stainless, but I don’t like the grey pins and liners not matching the green handle.

Let me know please.
Both are nice and both have nice finish. Can you show your profile/edge against a cutting board? I think you camera lense might be distorting the picture somewhat.

hECYLj5.jpg

Let me know please.

I love green...

Both are nice and both have nice finish. Can you show your profile/edge against a cutting board? I think you camera lense might be distorting the picture somewhat.
I checked it a couple of times, if it’s not flat it won’t cut all the way through. But I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow 👍🏻

hECYLj5.jpg

Let me know please.
I'd chose a cutter over a looker any day. That said, I like the green and grey combo anyway, so I'd go with the original one myself

I checked it a couple of times, if it’s not flat it won’t cut all the way through. But I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow 👍🏻
Generally you would want some rocking action and sweep towards the tip. Bottom part of the blade should be flat, possibly with a slightly raised heel.

Wasn't able to finish the handle. I am sorry to have to pull out at the last moment, especially after the initial term was prolonged. You guys did awesome work and big thanks to H Hubert S. for organizing. Hopefully I will be in next year.

Generally you would want some rocking action and sweep towards the tip. Bottom part of the blade should be flat, possibly with a slightly raised heel.
Yeah, that’s what makes this one a pain in the ass sometimes. If it’s not perfectly flat, it won’t cut all the way through. It does have a very slight curve towards the tip. I’m looking for an honest review from whoever gets it to let me know what they think. The couple of people I’ve made this for have liked it, but they’ve been friends and family that probably don’t want to hurt my feelings saying it sucks.

Back