Kitchen KITH 2022

Sorry, I did not have time to do the drawing tonight. It will be Tuesday evening before I can get to it at the earliest.
That’s good with me because I still need to finish my handle, thought I’d be able to get it done before going out of town this weekend but wasn’t able to spend as much time on it in the shop as I’d have liked.

jhHS1bf.jpg
Well, I finished and have been testing it for the last few days and unfortunately I think I’m going to drop out. There’s a few mostly aesthetic things but my biggest problem is I left the edge too thick and somewhat inconsistent before sharpening and my lack of sharpening skills didn’t help. My secondary bevel ended up pretty tall at the heel and smaller in the middle. You can maybe see it in this choil shot (and also a gap in the front of the scales on one side):

OmPbwLn.jpg

Also you can see the inconsistent edge thickness in this shot after I shaved some arm hair:

pqhHCNZ.jpg

I just don’t think it’s up to par compared with what everyone else has produced. I’ve got several more hardened blanks that I’ll keep working on and my next one will be better. Thanks everyone for the input and feedback as I’ve made my first kitchen knife!

jhHS1bf.jpg
Well, I finished and have been testing it for the last few days and unfortunately I think I’m going to drop out. There’s a few mostly aesthetic things but my biggest problem is I left the edge too thick and somewhat inconsistent before sharpening and my lack of sharpening skills didn’t help. My secondary bevel ended up pretty tall at the heel and smaller in the middle. You can maybe see it in this choil shot (and also a gap in the front of the scales on one side):

OmPbwLn.jpg

Also you can see the inconsistent edge thickness in this shot after I shaved some arm hair:

pqhHCNZ.jpg

I just don’t think it’s up to par compared with what everyone else has produced. I’ve got several more hardened blanks that I’ll keep working on and my next one will be better. Thanks everyone for the input and feedback as I’ve made my first kitchen knife!
Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a good looking knife. The point is to learn and get better. This KITH has got you thinking about the details and raising your standards and expectations. That's all good.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a good looking knife. The point is to learn and get better. This KITH has got you thinking about the details and raising your standards and expectations. That's all good.
I appreciate it. And I’m definitely viewing it as just another step in getting better and making the next one better than this one. And I’m overall really happy with it, it cuts really well and I was all smiles with my cutting tests.

o687PjR.jpg

dpZfXoF.jpg

CzYVnHz.jpg

It cuts better than any commercial knife I have so for me it’s a win, even if it’s still short of where I think it needed to be

I appreciate it. And I’m definitely viewing it as just another step in getting better and making the next one better than this one. And I’m overall really happy with it, it cuts really well and I was all smiles with my cutting tests.

o687PjR.jpg

dpZfXoF.jpg

CzYVnHz.jpg

It cuts better than any commercial knife I have so for me it’s a win, even if it’s still short of where I think it needed to be
You’re not allowed to back out, sorry dude.

Back