Knife you're embarrased to own or admit purchasing?

I bought a Gerber Mk1 boot knife when I was 12 or 13 because it looked cool. I quickly found that it was pretty much useless for anything I wanted a knife to do, since I didn’t have any need to stick anyone, and realized it would just be too embarrassing to actually carry (probably illegal, too!) So, it basically sat in a drawer for 30 years.

I will show myself out. In a mirth thread I assumed that jabs and humor were acceptable. Be well everyone.

351551_d102430e6c154a67a6e266fdf97217da~mv2.gif

The classic stiletto vs the bowie.
Jabs and humor are totally acceptable, but it's pretty key for them to actually be funny. Practice on that and you'll do much better.

Any dude who has a benchmade bugout should post here and rip up their man card.
My “man card” is so huge I have two bugouts. About to stamp my “man card” again today...
875A725F-140C-4FA0-B732-E29A15AAA837.jpeg66161E00-59D3-4B6D-A6C5-DD0AA3F81D11.jpeg

To stay on topic...I bought a Sherwood dive knife in my teens. It’s a clip point, great for around air hoses and whatnot. 🤪
Good thing it came duller than a butter knife and not very “pointy.”

Edit: Still have it. Haha.

My “man card” is so huge I have two bugouts. About to stamp my “man card” again today...
View attachment 1581997View attachment 1581998

To stay on topic...I bought a Sherwood dive knife in my teens. It’s a clip point, great for around air hoses and whatnot. 🤪
Good thing it came duller than a butter knife and not very “pointy.”

Edit: Still have it. Haha.
At least the Dacor dive knife I bought in high school had the blunt, pry bar tip. With its 8”’ blade, I could drop one whole weight off my belt when I wore the thing.

Last edited:
At least the Dacor dive knife I bought in high school had the blunt, pry bar tip. With it’s 8”’ blade, I could drop one whole weight off my belt when I wore the thing.
Sounds about right. Haha.

E6-F70-F2-D-244-D-4-C73-B80-C-29-F9-EABA92-DD.jpg

@ DMG
Current daily carry or rotation
I don’t have my flat head axe but that one gets more carry time than he pick headed axe.
Looks like good stuff. I carry a lot of similar stuff. I think you are underestimating the Bugout because it is so light and the scales are a bit squishy. It is especially great to carry in light hiking pants or paired with a large fixed blade. The weight to blade ratio is hard to beat. Check out the torture tests of it on YouTube if you think it is weak.

"Flawless" isn't the word I'd use. I love how it has, like 15 choils and is uglier than a really bad lie, like claiming to be a Ranger black bag Spec-Ops wizard so that Military guys will buy your knives. That sort of ugly. :)
You get such a small cutting area for such a large knife

I had the gil-tec RUK and immediately retired it once I received the Slideclick because of the dulling issue. I'm waiting for him to make the smaller version of the slideclick that uses hobby blades.

Is that something he's planning on doing, or just that you're hoping for? I haven't seen anything on his blog.

I did get one of these:

20210612_230738.jpg

Made in China, rebranded under various names (mine is "Naithawk" or something like that). It's alright, although (keeping the thread on topic), at $40 it's a bit embarrassingly expensive for what you get (some charge much more). It's fairly impressive considering the machining that went in to the tiny one-piece body. The button isn't as impressive, having 2 tiny springs that are extremely easy to lose inside, and requires disassembly to switch blades. However, it works just fine and I can stab it into wood as hard as I feel safe doing with such a thin blade, and the lock doesn't budge until you press it to retract. The main flaw in actual use that I'm finding is that things are so tight in there that even a small bit of something that gets inside will interfere with the action. I tried powdered graphite as a lube instead of oil and it's much better since the graphite doesn't let pocket dust/fluff/dirt stick inside like oil does. Requires Olfa brand blades because of the type of hole, can't use Xacto.

Is that something he's planning on doing, or just that you're hoping for? I haven't seen anything on his blog.

I did get one of these:

View attachment 1582176

Made in China, rebranded under various names (mine is "Naithawk" or something like that). It's alright, although (keeping the thread on topic), at $40 it's a bit embarrassingly expensive for what you get (some charge much more). It's fairly impressive considering the machining that went in to the tiny one-piece body. The button isn't as impressive, having 2 tiny springs that are extremely easy to lose inside, and requires disassembly to switch blades. However, it works just fine and I can stab it into wood as hard as I feel safe doing with such a thin blade, and the lock doesn't budge until you press it to retract. The main flaw in actual use that I'm finding is that things are so tight in there that even a small bit of something that gets inside will interfere with the action. I tried powdered graphite as a lube instead of oil and it's much better since the graphite doesn't let pocket dust/fluff/dirt stick inside like oil does. Requires Olfa brand blades because of the type of hole, can't use Xacto.
He showed a render of it at the bottom of page 3 on his blog
uaoWMdL.jpeg
cqaR7K7.jpeg

7gyBB9I.jpeg
mtetCQV.jpeg

I thought about getting a naithawk at one point as well but decided against it and got one if these instead:
61qaeW5ENRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The action on the button is crunchy and there's a lot pf play. but it's the only titanium handled one of this type I can find.

i have some very solid mall knives, my favorite is a half serrated "Maple" brand i got when i must have been 19, but tbh the only ones that have made me feel actual, real embarassment are my spydercos after this recent thin blue line release. just drained all the pleasure/affection for those that i own; probably gonna end up getting rid of any that weren't gifts eventually. a real, if not exactly impossible to predict disappointment

This odd duck. It never leaves the house because I don’t travel (I think that’s what it was designed for), have absolutely no use for it, and it’s kinda fugly. Maybe embarrassed isn’t the correct word, but honestly, why on earth do I own this one?

He showed a render of it at the bottom of page 3 on his blog
uaoWMdL.jpeg
cqaR7K7.jpeg

7gyBB9I.jpeg
mtetCQV.jpeg

I must not have looked hard enough. Interesting, but I'll likely pass. Not for any reason other than I just don't want/need one this small. I got the Naithawk before delving into the ones that use the regular utility blades. I knew it'd be small, but I didn't realize just how small until I had it in my hand. I still like it - I might put it on my keychain or put it in the kit I'm putting together to keep in my backpack. But it's not what I want/need for box cutting at work.

I thought about getting a naithawk at one point as well but decided against it and got one if these instead:
61qaeW5ENRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The action on the button is crunchy and there's a lot pf play. but it's the only titanium handled one of this type I can find.

I took a pass on this one (glad I did now). I'm not fond of snap-off blades, and I couldn't find any pictures that showed the other side. I assume the button twists to tighten/loosen, and that just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm also unaware of any other like this one.

I'm sure you're aware of the multitude of tools out there, both sliding and folding, that use the Olfa 34B craft blade. I'm still tempted to get one myself, but the urge is tempered when I use it to cut boxes (I have the basic Olfa one that cost $8) - it works fine but for box cutting it's inferior to simply using standard utility blades. Still, the idea intrigues me; a more substantial disposable utility knife for "dirty" work.

I'm embarased to admit how much I want one of these:

Bali.jpg

But at nearly $200 plus the risk of Customs seizing it...

At least it wasnt the one with the hammerhead attached. Haha
well yeah, at least the pliers
on mr hammertool worked ;-)
but too bulky (might as well have been
a live frog in the pocket) as with
cloned sog cheapo prc over here.
not surprisingly the screw driver twisted and deformed. its a real toy!
so much for brain fart buys,
been there and hopefully done forever...
Vintage Single Handle Multi Tool Pliers Stainless Steel EXCELLENT RARE FIND

Last edited:
Well, I almost won this on eBay today. No seriously. It says hand forged and everything. I lost at $12. Man was I relieved.

instead though, I bought a WA Surls Tatanka from Eric Strebig on this website. My first real hand made knife.

im not embarrassed at all now. But it was super close.

Last edited:
I bought a Gerber Mk1 boot knife when I was 12 or 13 because it looked cool. I quickly found that it was pretty much useless for anything I wanted a knife to do, since I didn’t have any need to stick anyone, and realized it would just be too embarrassing to actually carry (probably illegal, too!) So, it basically sat in a drawer for 30 years.

Heh, that's pretty much where I'm at with my rather large fixed blade collection in total, really. I can't think of the number of times it's been where I bought a new fixed blade, thinking about all the adventures I was going to have with it on camping trips or working in the yard, only to find that ten times outta ten, whenever I was actually camping or working in the yard, whatever folding knife I had on me at the time did everything I needed just fine. Oye.

The Besh Wedge Dagger. I don't have words, but I was very new to this at the time of purchase.
Ah yes. That knife. I got the top two, and was pretty new to this stuff at the time as well. Ergonomic nightmares, those knives. Mine looked a little different from this pic. I don't have them any more though.

SWEDGE_KNIVES-1%2C_2%2C_3_WITH_BESH_WEDGE_-_PHOTO_BY_MICHAEL_JANICH.jpg

Back