Learn to spot em! - Post 2004 Schrade Replica Knives

Thanks, Larry for a good tip. Meanwhile, I thought the cognoscenti might like a good look at a Taylor Utica knife which has some nice bone. It is NOT, however a knife made by Schrade before 1973, as he (and the seller) would like us to believe. Here is a lesson for newer readers. This is an ended listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Did you read that history lesson on the tube insert? "The Schrade Walden division was moved from Walden, New York to Ellenville, New York in 1958. The Ellenville, New York factory closed in 2004 and production was moved to Camillus, New York."

Dunno. I do know that Schrade production was not continued after '04 in Camillus. Camillus did make some Schrade marked knives for SMKW, TBLLC and possibly others under the TBLLC trademarks. But they were Camillus knives. Even the "tribute to Schrade", Camillus branded "GranPa" line were Camillus designed and produced. I understand that Utica was also hired to make some sfo knives under the TBLLC trademarks. But I am not familiar enough with Utica construction to say in this instance. Nor with the Camillus sfo's. Tom Williams might know. He was at Camillus until the end.

Thanks, Larry for a good tip. Meanwhile, I thought the cognoscenti might like a good look at a Taylor Utica knife which has some nice bone. It is NOT, however a knife made by Schrade before 1973, as he (and the seller) would like us to believe. Here is a lesson for newer readers. This is an ended listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was "watching" this auction for a week too so that I could post it in this thread but you beat me to it Calvin. I was going to point out that the "SCW 1194 G" model number is NOT a USA Schrade number as a way of spotting these replica knives. I am inclined to guess that since the note (incorrectly) says "production was moved to Camillus" we might take it to mean these particular knives are indeed Camillus made but so many things are left obscure on Taylor-Schrade packaging that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out otherwise.

p.s. nice use of "cognoscenti" but at my place the inebriati rule the day (and the night) lol

[video=youtube;lIv96reVlAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIv96reVlAE[/video]

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just bought my 125OT knife from AAPK. I got him to knock it down to $80.00 :)

I appreciate all of your help with this. I'm sure my father will be thrilled!

Thanks,

Sean

909_37949_1334086247_1.JPG

Hey guys. I just bought my 125OT knife from AAPK. I got him to knock it down to $80.00 :)

Thanks,

Sean

Looks good Sean, I'm sure your Dad "will" be thrilled with it. ;)
-Bruce

Sean, did you buy it from someone in USA ? If so, it might be a bit slow (up to 1 month) to arrive due to Canada Post Customs, but it will arrive as there are no restrictions on manual Traditional patterns. I have at times also received knives from USA in about 1 week which for reasons unknown came directly to me without the delay for 'Customs' inspection.
Please post to let us know when you have received it.
roland

Thanks, Sean

Those member's shops on AAPN are the place to find good sellers, selling good knives.

You mean you might be safer finding a genuine Schrade (or any knife) there than fleabay? ;)
-Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I mean - I told you at the start of this thread, to look at the sellers on AAPN.
I have many knives that I found on AAPN, and often find I can buy at a good price.
I even sent you the link to the Schrade sellers.
That is a good looking knife; and Dads should always get the very best.
Look after your Dad - You only get one... Ken

It seems that Taylor has started making 4-pin LB7s. They aren't that hard to spot because the nail-nick is moved far forward from where it originally was and they sure aren't stamped "USA" but seeing 4-pins doesn't tell the whole story anymore. The lockbar pivot is brass not stainless and is in the "late 90's" position (not the original spot closer to the blade) as well.

Taylor 4-pin LB7.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, good for posting this "LB7". The position of the nail nick and lockbar pivot could easily be over-looked even by someone who knows Schrades reasonably well. That's why i think it is important that you posted it.
roland

Dave, good for posting this "LB7". The position of the nail nick and lockbar pivot could easily be over-looked even by someone who knows Schrades reasonably well. That's why i think it is important that you posted it.
roland

Thanks roland. I try to be of service when I can. :)

not to mention that the box is way off from an original 4 pin LB 7. my they are getting sneaky now.

not to mention that the box is way off from an original 4 pin LB 7

So very true but if (when) some devious bloke puts one of these up for sale with a "white box" and a black sheath all in a fuzzy picture then it could fool anyone who didn't look closer.

On super close inspection of the photo I notice another major difference in this knife. It has separate bolsters and linings as opposed to the solid one-piece bolster/lining configuration of USA LB7 knives. Bad fit and finish on this example too. The profile of the liner doesn't even match the profile of the bolster very well. The more you zoom the worse it gets! I'm wondering if the bolsters on these are hollow too as a way to reduce costs. The original LB7 is a heavy 8 oz knife. I wonder what these weigh...

Horrid fascination has me wanting one of these now so I can inspect it thoroughly though only if I can get one cheap enough. I'm thinking $10.00 sounds about right to me. Not buying one won't make the problem go away but my current Taylor embargo was strengthened recently when I discovered his older (1980) Japanese made KKK commemorative knives. I'm super-extra-not-at-all impressed by those and it certainly showed some poor judgement on Mr. Taylor's part if not something much worse. Who wouldn't think that these were a bad idea? KKK members and businessmen who will exploit anything for a profit. http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=20987&weiid=1172864&lang=En#images His initials even form the copyright that is on everyone of these. Did he draw that hooded figure himself or just buy up the rights to it? Seems to me it's like he's proud to have his initials right there.

Maybe Stewart Taylor will reply. Maybe I'm all wrong about the guy. I'd like to be but my hopes are dwindling. This is the only post I will make on this subject unless he does actually respond. Sorry I digressed from ISC and all it's goodness.

Last edited:
Hello again everyone,

My knife came in the mail today. Thank goodness it didn't get flagged at customs. It's quite beautiful and opens with a stiff "snap" :)

Thanks for all your help in getting this knife in my hands. I haven't held this model in 25 years! It brings back good memories of bonding with my father. He will be quite surprised when he opens it on his 60th birthday.

Take care everyone!

click on my link to see a picture of the beautiful OLD TIMER 125OT

http://postimage.org/image/tu1vrwb87/

Last edited:
That is a great example of a great pattern. Now are you going to get one for yourself as well?

Back