Learn to spot em! - Post 2004 Schrade Replica Knives

Nice looking knife Sean, I really like that long flap sheath with the OLD TIMER embossed too. You can tell it's the authentic package. :thumbup:

Here's a nice stag knife made for Cabela's that was sold a couple times as a Schrade and I think it's a Bowen or at least a not-Schrade. This example was sold with 153UH box and paperwork but it's certainly not a Golden Spike.

On Aug 4 this package sold for $35.00 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item19d3f4675c&item=110930192220&nma=true&pt=Collectible_Knives&rt=nc&si=3RXAhF74cIpISSA4r0nYBoliegQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc) $(KGrHqN,!nsF!IcwwiwzBQJSL1RlrQ~~60_12.JPG$(KGrHqZ,!r!E+oZLDp5fBQJSLsm20g~~60_12.JPG$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+czBQJSLlzHzw~~60_12.JPG

It appears the buyer then resold the whole package (just as he bought it) on the 19th of Aug for $127.50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=200805119562&nma=true&rt=nc&si=3RXAhF74cIpISSA4r0nYBoliegQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc)

Here's a listing for another example of the same knife but seller describes it as being made by Bowen with no box or paperwork (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1c2929bbc9&item=120949685193&nma=true&pt=Collectible_Knives&rt=nc&si=3RXAhF74cIpISSA4r0nYBoliegQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc)

Here's a Bowen stamped knife that sure looks a lot like it: IMG_5551.jpgIMG_5552.jpg

What's the consensus? Schrade or not-Schrade? I'm thinkin' the Bowen listing is more accurate. It just doesn't look like a Schrade to me.

GeoSchradesHandyJackstainlesssteelfakereproductionorauthentic.jpg

Plowed this up surfing and wondered about whether or not it is a fake, reproduction or authentic. I haven't actually seen one before anywhere, I haven't seen everything yet, so figured that I would bring it to you for your kind inspection. Thank you.

It is real. It is not a part of the Schrade complex of companies bought by Baer from the Schrade family. It is from the George Schrade factory of Bridgeport, Connecticut, in its last years purchased by Boker USA, and defunct in 1958 when the switchblade law came into effect. Switchblades were the bread and butter of the Connecticut company, but they made lots of interesting low price point all metal knives like this one, the wire frame knives, and a line of stacked leather handle fixed blade knives.

I received a reply to my email today regarding the above pictured Handy Jack with sheep's foot blade by the Kuala Lumpur company. The site appears real and this is something they actually offer. It is hard for me to believe that the photo is of what they vend. Gonna have to look deeper into this... Could this item actually be authentic Schrade, be made in China and vended in Kuala Lumpur? Has the Geo Schrade name been licensed or bot and is the name used properly to describe a currently produced folder today?

It's quite possible that nobody owns the "Geo. Schrade" branding name at present. Or, the manfacturer doesn't care.
Even if original there is almost no collector demand for either of these 2 "Geo. Schrade" patterns.
roland

The patents would have long expired by now. Last owner that I am aware of was Boker U.S.A.

Thank you for the replys rprocter & Codger_64.

I am attracted to the early adopter of stainless steel knives of Geo Schrade. I'd like one just to see what it actually is whether reproduction (which I assume it is) or original. Doubt as to what I would actually receive and the price of shipping from that neck of the woods keep me procrastinating.

I'm mystified that a Malay vendor would have these made. And, it gives me the fidgets that an American and a Malay vendor both use the same photograph. The Google educates and confounds me. Can't imagine that I wouldn't miss it daily were it to vanish. I read the World Book as a child so it is just what the doctor ordered for me.

i talked with Steve Koontz at SMKW when these came out and he said they were made by Utic. The large stockman(amber scales I belive) with with the rounded bolsters was made by Bear and Sons. He told mean if they had them made by GEC they woul hve had to charge $80.00 for them whihc is exactly what they did with the "Schrade"Fire and Ice Trapper. This is in reply to the question on the previous page about if Utica made the knife referenced to the ended ebay auction. It was made by Utica.

Thanks, Larry for a good tip. Meanwhile, I thought the cognoscenti might like a good look at a Taylor Utica knife which has some nice bone. It is NOT, however a knife made by Schrade before 1973, as he (and the seller) would like us to believe. Here is a lesson for newer readers. This is an ended listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is the Utica from the Ebay Auction Tongueriver referenced on the previous page that Winchester73 mentioned. Taylor packaged both Utica and Camillus made Schrade Walden knives in these replica plastic tubes. The Utica's are usually easy to spot with the etch, brightly colored bone, and non Schrade USA pattern numbers. The Camillus made knives were yellow plastic, if I am remembering correctly. Both used the same etch.

utica.jpg

hey. ive recently been pointed in the direction of getting a schrade stockman 8OT. trying to start a new hobby of whittling and heard the 3 blade clip/spey/wharny and carbon steel is a good start. not being experienced with schrade and weary of the fakes this thread has enlightened me to (page 3 had a seller i had on my watch list http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-VINTAGE...item43a90de838 ). any help of what i shoud look out for? NOT looking for collection purpose with the orginal box ect.

gunna join AAPK and check there also. thanks.

ps. i know usa made were ment to last a lifetime, but would too much age on it be asking for it, to be used as a whittling knife? condition plays a part i know.

Your link is "broken", so i can't see the knife or seller you are referring to. The 8OT has a clip,spey & sheepsfoot (not wharncliffe). Schrade made these from 1960 up to closing in 2004. Age of the knife is not important as all have 1095 steel and the same heat treatment that many experienced 'knifers' think made these Schrade blades the very best of all production use of 1095.
There are many of these listed on ebay. Look at many of these until you can easily see which have 100% full blades. Watch out for tipped clip blades that have been re-profiled to a new tip. Also improper sharpening that takes the slight belly out of the clip leaving it with a perfectly straight edge. Ask to be sure that no blade play can be elicited with moderate force.
Be patient because there will be perfectly fine, truly unused 8OT's that just don't get the bidding the knife deserves and sell for a low price, such as under $20. Use a snipe service to place your bid.
roland (addicted to knifing and ebay)

thanks for the great advice, i have gotten the eye already for what u mentioned above. is there any concern with fakes on this model? i do see a rare couple over $100 but im not looking for one in that condition, any of the ones listed around $20 look just fine to me, probablly no concern there.

i copy and pasted that link from page 3, dont know why it would be broken.

Back