Leather Thread

Well now I feel like a kindergartener. So many talented craftsmen here. My leather work looks l I'm ke pre-k. But I can post up something if you guys really want to see it.

20191001_234039.jpg 20191001_234056.jpg

You ask for it. You got it. First wallet after 32 years of negotiation of leather work. I learned leather working in high school. Texas offered it back then. You know because Texas. And any constructive criticism is more then needed. Please help.me move from pre-k to at least high school. Leather working is very relaxed for me. Thanks fellas

Btw this is my personal wallet.

View attachment 1206179 View attachment 1206180

You ask for it. You got it. First wallet after 32 years of negotiation of leather work. I learned leather working in high school. Texas offered it back then. You know because Texas. And any constructive criticism is more then needed. Please help.me move from pre-k to at least high school. Leather working is very relaxed for me. Thanks fellas

Btw this is my personal wallet.
I would be rapt if i could make something as good as that. Don't be so critical of yourself.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would be rapt if i could make something as good as that. Don't be so critical of yourself.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your to kind. And thank you. The only true thing I can say is it's nice when spending your hard earned money. To be able to pull it out of your hard work. I'm working a weird contract right now so I haven't been able to craft much. But give me a second and I'll post up my data log I made.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Very uplifting. And if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask.

I also can appreciate that style of wallet mine is fairly similar, and once I get some free time I’m gonna make me a new one out of Wickett & Craig glazed buck brown to test out that type of leather.
View attachment 1206428 View attachment 1206429

Well I guess I have good taste in wallets. I like the left side being able to slip down from the top. Can I use that in the next one?

Very nice, and those both look good. I’d say just keep practicing when you have time, but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

I am using 4/5 oz veg tan for my wallets and dyeing the leather myself. Is that the right size leather and where could I pick up a small amount of some veg-tan per dyed? It takes most the time sewing but if I could skip the dying part I could do more. The misses hates the smell of the dye. And the glue for that matter.

Well I guess I have good taste in wallets. I like the left side being able to slip down from the top. Can I use that in the next one?

Yeah of course you can

I am using 4/5 oz veg tan for my wallets and dyeing the leather myself. Is that the right size leather and where could I pick up a small amount of some veg-tan per dyed? It takes most the time sewing but if I could skip the dying part I could do more. The misses hates the smell of the dye. And the glue for that matter.

4/5oz is fine but you could switch to a 3/4oz and get a slightly thinner profile and a lil less bulk. I usually use 3-4 oz for my inner panels for wallets and do a 5oz back if I have it on hand. For leather you can get it from Rocky Mountain leather supply, Maker’s leather supply, buckleguy, and district leather supply. there’s a couple others I cant think of right now. But they all sell pre dyed that you can also get by the square foot vs a whole hide if you need to not spend that much.

Finished up my fiancées pad folio tonight. It took right under 10 hours and was definitely my biggest project to date. I’ll post better photos tomorrow of it in natural light but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

4F6423C5-77CB-433C-8BD6-CAC1DAB579EC.jpeg 125F9780-06BD-4BC1-8B0E-D55F47F77743.jpeg 670D5618-F349-457A-B600-2975EEDA6C13.jpeg

Stitching is so straight and tight. Wonderful work. Simply splendid .

Thank you I really appreciate the kind words! I don’t use a stitching pony but with the size of this thing I could of used it for the more awkward areas to stitch.

Is that .6 tiger thread in cream?

It’s actually .8 in white. I almost did the outer in 1mm white, but I don’t think it would of accomplished the look I was going for.

Great work, came up a treat.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words she absolutely loved it!

I also made these up tonight to try and make some spare cash since the bladeforums knife caught me off guard getting my payment notification this past weekend. There a Slipjoint pocket slip design I’ve had in my head a while to more closely match my wallet and sheath design lines compared to my first slip pattern. From left to right we got W&C medium brown with white thread, W&C chestnut with black thread, Herman Oak natural veg with white thread, and finally cause I’m a Star Wars nerd some W&C black with red thread for a Sith feel.
740FAEFA-923A-49C4-B350-87E137FF37E5.jpeg

Thank you for the kind words she absolutely loved it!

I also made these up tonight to try and make some spare cash since the bladeforums knife caught me off guard getting my payment notification this past weekend. There a Slipjoint pocket slip design I’ve had in my head a while to more closely match my wallet and sheath design lines compared to my first slip pattern. From left to right we got W&C medium brown with white thread, W&C chestnut with black thread, Herman Oak natural veg with white thread, and finally cause I’m a Star Wars nerd some W&C black with red thread for a Sith feel.
View attachment 1218846
You will have no probs selling them.:thumbsup: Have a good weekend.:)

Back