Let's give Buck some new product ideas

Thanks, but it's not my original idea. They were offered in the past. From a very old thread.

th_124112028.jpg

Any more ideas?
Well you know me, or maybe you don't, I have a one track mind from my past experience with knives and what I like to use most :
1. M4 alloy
2. Full flat ground in the more traditional knives (for my use that would be the 110 and the 102).
3. A handle option in the 102 with texture. Canvas micarta and or Burlap. Heck for me personally I could get all crazy and even go with rubber coated diamond texture sort of like a Griptillian or the old Cold Steel KreyEx like my Grail has.

PS: keep the real leather sheaths or go with something that is similar and water proof (not absorbent and washable) but has no glass fiber in it.

PPS: I have a 102 in 5160 on order ! :thumbsup:
The handle is pretty slick looking but I bet I'm gonna like it !
Has the brass with the black rather than the aluminum (nice little touch).

110 Slim Pro, without the "Slim" part. Make the Micarta scales about 50% thicker.
Yuuuuup
Of course they have the 110 LW. I have one of those. Not Micarta though. Good fiber reinforced thick handle in any case. I can't believe I can carry that knife in the bottom of my pocket and it doesn't bug me; but I can and do.

I was thinking back a few years ago about knives that changed/made history..The one I would pick above all others is the Roman short sword. If be someone at Buck came up with a series of historical Limited Edition recreations of famous edged weapons of the past in modern materials I think it would brina g Buck vast amounts of publicity and attention in television,web and print media way out of proportion to the resources it took to make them. The LE could even be a annual or semiannual knife.I believe the most expensive knife Buck makes is under $1,000.00 but many, many Customs sell for multiples of that number..Think about the market there would be!! Edged weapons collectors around the world who would be interested!!

This ^^^

Preferably made in Idaho, and two blades.
Maybe a Sheepsfoot main with full length clip or spear point secondary instead of the more common pen secondary.
I'd be down for a single blade barlow with spear point; good full / thick handle though.

I was thinking back a few years ago about knives that changed/made history
Sorry if this is too off topic and not Bashing Buck or promoting any other maker but :
When I think of a recent knife that I feel will be a classic to future generations I immediately think of the UKPK by Spyderco. The high lite is it is not just a slip joint but has that added bit of semi lock up in a Euro legal knife where locking folders are not legal. Yet it is still friendly to open and close; more so than a knife with just a super strong pull.

Make a Buck that is pinchable but has a kind of detent when fully opened.
Heck that is all I really need. I pinch open my 110s but don't really need the back lock.

Last edited:
Think nothing of it.
Tiguy, that is a handsome 110 with screwed together frame and that blade steel. DM

Thanks, I just made it. Tomorrow the components could be rearranged.

What does get old is someone will roll in with 1-800- waaaaaaa on speed dial.

^^^^^ this made my morning Mak.
Idk how yall would feel about this but I'd like to see that Mesa that walmart sold for awhile in a better steel with a few more handle options. For what it was in liked that knife.

And bring back the 305, 309, and 310.

A bunch of folks that like traditional pocketknives ordered the modified 301 for this year's forum knife. It might be a good time to add some new patterns to the 300 series.

Saltwater version of knives offered in N680 or H1 steel. Not just the blade but all the hardware

I'd like more custom shop options (110/112). These are ones I have thought about:
1. Buck pewter shield added to scales
2. Option for CPM154 steel
3. Micarta scales
4. Logo engraving and/or engraving on scales instead of bolster
5. Different colors offered in dymondwood (yellow, red, green, gray, white)
6. thumbstud and pocket clip options
7. Scrimshaw option
8. Ram horn scales
9. Jimping
10. Lanyard hole option
11. Other custom sheaths offered
12. Other wood scales (walnut, rosewood, maple)

I can vouch for the Vantage being a problem child. I did my share of whining when mine had the lockbar touching the other liner out of the box. I didn't mind sending it in once, but it came back unchanged AND with a G10 insert loose from the scale, so I had to send it back in a second time. When it finally came back it was not perfect but pretty good. I agree, tighten up the quality even at the expense of a few dollars per unit, it'll make a big difference and more will be sold. That being said, my 110 and 119 are stinkin' awesome and haven't had issues.

The Marksman is incredible, maybe produce a couple more bearing flippers and if possible aim for the $50-$60 price point?

If I'm seeing this correctly, it looks like all slipjoint production has gone overseas. That's a bit disappointing. I'm not a marketing expert but it seems like the people who will mostly buy that kind of knife will expect them to be USA made and hold a good edge, otherwise they will buy a Case or some similar knife.

Also, NO pinned construction. Not that we necessarily need to be taking them apart, but it's nice to be able to work on them if the need ever arises.

Regarding the request for bushcraft/survival knives...

I would love to see Buck consolidate their bushcraft/survival knives along a thin convexed saber-flat grind like on this old Schrade H-15.
Schrade H-15 by Pinnah, on Flickr

IMO, Ron Hood was heading somewhat in the right direction with his use of full flat grinds for his knives. I don't care for fat saber-flat (aka scandi) grinds for general bushcraft and camping use. They are great for wood working but are a bit too limited as they don't deal with food prep as well. Neither do I like full flat grind as they have don't have good splitting power.

The convexed high saber-flat grind of the old H-15 (and similar old Schrades) was just ideal. In truth, I don't think this grind is very far off from the original Buck fixed blades, so in a sense, this may harken back to Buck's roots.

IMO, the clip points and hollow grinds of the 100 series and the use of hollow grinds in general are fine for hunting or even tacticool knives, but less so for general woods use. Reviving this convexed high saber-flat grind would separate Buck from the thick convex/scandi crowd (Mora, Bark River, Helle, many others) and from teh full flat crowd (RAT, ESEE, many others).

IMO, any Buck bushcraft line should retain the full length tang of the original 100 series and the black phenolic handles with optional wood (more $) and rubber versions (less $). IMO, full exposed tang isn't needed and gets colder in cold weather.

Back