Lets see opinels - Pic Thread

Two of my favourites. lucky no.7
tumblr_nqij7yZiQo1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

Yes and thanks! I it is sanded on all sides and thinned down as far as I ever care to go on a #7! I wanted it to be flat so it wouldn't roll and retain most of the original Opinel shape.

Looks great, I'm tempted to try such on my carbone Opinel/sand the butt end of it down a bit.

I absolutely LOVE my Opinels, but I rarely carry them; they seem to be always relegated to kitchen duty. I was amazed to see that I've never posted any of my Opinels in this thread! :eek: I guess I'll show them all right now.

My first was a #6 that I got about the end of July last year, just in time to take on vacation to a cottage on Lake Huron for a couple of weeks. It was the start of a love-hate relationship; I loved the way that knife cut, and I loved playing around with developing a patina, but I hated the way the humid summer lakefront weather swelled the handle! Eventually, I received hints and suggestions from Forum members on how to "tune" my Opinel, and the hate part of the relationship faded away. Here's a photo of the blade of #6 about a month after I got it; I was probably trying to document the patina.
FfHvqg1l.jpg

Around mid-December last year, I picked up a #7. I figured if I was going to continue to use an Opinel in the kitchen, a bit longer blade would be helpful. I was right (for once). Here is the #7 shortly after arrival, in pristine condition.
lBKaaxNl.jpg

Here's a photo of my #7 with some fruit and vegetables it cut up to put in my daily bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.
PpqbM8el.jpg

Here's a photo of the "enriched oatmeal" ready to eat, with the #7 resting on its laurels in the background.
pRRAwrGl.jpg

Finally, I have a modified #8 that davek14 sent me last December, about the same time I got my #7. Dave shortened and sheepsfooted the blade, and shortened, reshaped, reinforced, and stained the handle. It's a very cool knife. This one DOES get some pocket time and isn't stuck in the kitchen.
ENTNL22l.jpg

0DcibCKl.jpg

- GT

Haha I remember seeing your enriched oatmeal when I first came on here GT, love the stubby modified opinel!

Thanks, SAK Guy and Tim! :)
Tim, photography for me is a slow, time-consuming, sometimes frustrating process, so I shamelessly recycle my photos, even if they're not very good ones. :eek:

- GT

I seem to be keeping this thread going. My latest two Opinel Outdoor knives I picked up off the Bay from Canada. They are marked ConocoPhillips on the blade.

SAK Guy, I am always looking and really lucked out on the last two Outdoor knives. Picked up them for a little over $26 for both.

Here's my only knive so far (bought a couple of weeks ago) : Opinel No8 Luxe Bubinga. I've sharpened it with a Lansky 5 stones system and it's ridiculously sharp! Very useful for everyday uses. I'm quite happy with it!

11895163_10153113425447514_3288306344877064989_o.jpg

Back