Lets see your CPK in Leather!

Perhaps some of you aspiring part-time leather craftsmen ought to approach and liaise with Nathan & Jo regarding a standard and simple DEK1 leather sheath pattern for the DEK1 preorder. I don't know if there are enough of us there but I know that I am in for at least 2 if Jo finds and approves of someone who will be willing to take on the task.

I think that Chad's books are closed per one of his earlier posts so he may not be available after the huge commitment which he took on for the K18 sheaths but think that SWG which certainly has the capacity to do a simple standardized pattern en masse may be interested in such project. However maybe one of the more regulars ought to stop up and look into this as well as Mr. Paul Long? I would've though that if Lorien wanted to invest into this kind of project, barring any logistical headaches (Canada to U.S shippings during a pandemic) might be a perfect fit for the project. After all, the DEK1 was his own brainchild :)

I'll have a few DEK1s coming my way soon, plus one for my personal use, and I was planning on designing a modular sheath for it just for myself. If I get things dialed in so I can scale up, then it's possible I could make a number of them. That's what I'm doing with the FK sheaths right now. I built a proof of concept for myself, which I'm still using, and then did two other mockups to nail down the process, (one a lefty) which I sent to Steve for feedback, (still waiting, Steve, c'mon! :) ). The five remaining aren't identical, but they're all in process and share similar components which is something I've not done up til now

between the age of 3 and 4, my dad ran a small leather shop where he made satchels, belts, wallets etc, which is where I spent all my time. He was a handy guy who grew up around horses and tack

I was talking with my buddy, Mike Q, who makes unbelievably nice knives and his sheath work is equally fantastic. But he HATES working with leather. There is only a handful of people in the US that can make sheaths to match the quality of his work, and he chooses Pappy Long exclusively. He even pointed out, "you ain't no Paul Long! That's true. I don't anticipate ever getting to that level, but I do what I do- it's good, durable leatherwork and not fancy in any way, but it makes me happy, provides me a craft that I can improve at, and hopefully will keep both knife and owner safe

Perhaps some of you aspiring part-time leather craftsmen ought to approach and liaise with Nathan & Jo regarding a standard and simple DEK1 leather sheath pattern for the DEK1 preorder. I don't know if there are enough of us there but I know that I am in for at least 2 if Jo finds and approves of someone who will be willing to take on the task.

I think that Chad's books are closed per one of his earlier posts so he may not be available after the huge commitment which he took on for the K18 sheaths but think that SWG which certainly has the capacity to do a simple standardized pattern en masse may be interested in such project. However maybe one of the more regulars ought to stop up and look into this as well as Mr. Paul Long? I would've though that if Lorien wanted to invest into this kind of project, barring any logistical headaches (Canada to U.S shippings during a pandemic) might be a perfect fit for the project. After all, the DEK1 was his own brainchild :)

I'll have a few DEK1s coming my way soon, plus one for my personal use, and I was planning on designing a modular sheath for it just for myself. If I get things dialed in so I can scale up, then it's possible I could make a number of them. That's what I'm doing with the FK sheaths right now. I built a proof of concept for myself, which I'm still using, and then did two other mockups to nail down the process, (one a lefty) which I sent to Steve for feedback, (still waiting, Steve, c'mon! :) ). The five remaining aren't identical, but they're all in process and share similar components which is something I've not done up til now

between the age of 3 and 4, my dad ran a small leather shop where he made satchels, belts, wallets etc, which is where I spent all my time. He was a handy guy who grew up around horses and tack

I was talking with my buddy, Mike Q, who makes unbelievably nice knives and his sheath work is equally fantastic. But he HATES working with leather. There is only a handful of people in the US that can make sheaths to match the quality of his work, and he chooses Pappy Long exclusively. He even pointed out, "you ain't no Paul Long! That's true. I don't anticipate ever getting to that level, but I do what I do- it's good, durable leatherwork and not fancy in any way, but it makes me happy, provides me a craft that I can improve at, and hopefully will keep both knife and owner safe

I like all of these suggestions. While I haven’t had the pleasure of having one of Lorien’s sheaths in hand, they have looked extremely solid and well thought out from what I can gather in a few pictures. The only question would be if you felt up to the bombardment you would have for sheaths even if you only did them for a quarter of what was ordered on the pre-order?

Chad would also be great, but as you mentioned, that is a busy fella with a ton on his plate already and he technically isn’t taking orders. Maybe a call from Nathan or Jo could be persuasive if that is the way folks want to go.

No question I like me some Paul Long. In fact, I am sending a DEK1 back down this week for some more custom skins. Anyone is welcome to use it for fitment while it is there, just contact Mr. Long. I’ll make mention of this in the Random Thought thread as well.

Maybe duramax duramax is ready to go into full scale production mode, what say you Bill?

Maybe duramax duramax is ready to go into full scale production mode, what say you Bill?

Ughhhhhh Lol, read this and fell out of my inversion table !!!!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:eek::eek::eek::p:p:DLol
I’m trying to get a few select sheaths off my bench now. You know how many old timberline boots I’d have to scavenge to make all those o_O;):plol.
Thank you for the mention :) But seriously I’m just getting back into the swing of things.

The only question would be if you felt up to the bombardment you would have for sheaths even if you only did them for a quarter of what was ordered on the pre-order?

I wouldn't be taking orders, just making little batches. Maybe put together an email list, but definitely nothing large scale

Paul sheathmaker sheathmaker

Can you please post pics from some of your DEK1 builds?

A few DEK1 sheaths. Basically two configurations shown, flat loop/sash, and drop loop.
View attachment 1395283 View attachment 1395287 View attachment 1395288 View attachment 1395291 View attachment 1395295 View attachment 1395297 Embellishment can run from very plain to fancy

Paul also made this excellent cross draw which can be put on and taken off without removing your belt.:thumbsup::)
lIgVNr4.jpg

Got a new ISP from Bud! This has a DCC and the EGA OORAH! Also requested Bud’s old Georgia logo on the other side.
8wYGhxj.jpg

WU1BHZk.jpg

9fDYoq6.jpg

Also like to carry my EDC3 in my RLO cross draw , because pulling out my DEK1 to cut something in my suburban neighborhood might make some people nervous.:D
0WCQBhP.jpg

31xfxQT.jpg

Classic or contemporary? Decisions...decisions...

thanks @u.no.who.u.r.

DwIwtcl.jpg

e0KG3J0.jpg

What a great dilemma to have, eh!? Fantastic sheath!

Me personally I tend to gravitate to the classic. Even tho the scales and ergo feel that much better on the New kid on the block. Due to its balance point the handle tips itself ever so slightly into my palm more so than the FK2 I don't know if that's the reason but the OG FK allows me to switch positions more nimbly without putting much thought into it. I feel in total control of that knife more so than any other I own. Its a that one off that feels like it was made for me and my hand shape.

Scales on the OG FK dyed darker or G10?

Scales on the OG FK dyed darker or G10?

Both sets of scales are regular black canvas dyed with Fiebings Pro Black dye. The pro black is good dye, holds very fast :thumbsup: (I've had some trouble with their green)

I feel the same way as you about the original FK. I can swap holds and it's like an extension of my hand, more neutral than the FK2. If Nathan ever got a wild hair I'd love to see the original FK with a rounded pommel like the FK2. No other changes. Some folks might think 'well that's the FK2' but no, it isn't.

Both sets of scales are regular black canvas dyed with Fiebings Pro Black dye. The pro black is good dye, holds very fast :thumbsup: (I've had some trouble with their green)

I feel the same way as you about the original FK. I can swap holds and it's like an extension of my hand, more neutral than the FK2. If Nathan ever got a wild hair I'd love to see the original FK with a rounded pommel like the FK2. No other changes. Some folks might think 'well that's the FK2' but no, it isn't.

As I know you know, I’ve been a fan of the FK for ages. I’ve thought about this issue many times over the past few years. More since an FK2 came to me in 2018.

I wrote long ago about just how much I liked the balance of the more slab sided FK. I’ve thought about removing the pry bar, but thought that perhaps it would change the weight just enough that it wouldn’t feel the same. A compensatory amount of weight would need to be added to the tang, easily enough accomplished with the voids available. Leaving a carefully calculated amount of weight at the rear of the final cutout would be my guess. I imagined doing so myself with some J-B Weld, but quickly discarded the idea when I remembered removing the scales on a FK that Nathan epoxied in place. What a nightmare that was....

But that also leaves the question of the grip style. The FK2 is easier to pinch grip, and swing. But those aren’t really things I find myself doing with these knives. The slab style certainly carries with a lower profile.

The HDFK was become a favourite of mine and the handles are much closer to the FK2 in design so I’m not against the design in the slightest.

One place I find the FK more stable is when you hold it between your fingers while keeping your first knuckle (MCP joint) straight, say thumb on spine like making curls or a feather stick.

One of my planned evaluations has been to do some of my common activities while changing between the FK1 and 2 but I haven’t had the opportunity as I’ve lacked the identical users to do so.

Last edited:
Back