LETS SEE YOUR EVERY DAY BEATER KNIFE

Folks, please don’t put your knives in the dishwasher. You wouldn’t put your firearm in there, so don’t put your knife in there. This isn’t $1 kitchen utensils we are talking about here.

Why? My lady's Spyderco Q is 440C and with all the cutouts in the blade, the dishwasher works wonders and for 15 years has done no harm. Knives aren't guns.

Why? My lady's Spyderco Q is 440C and with all the cutouts in the blade, the dishwasher works wonders and for 15 years has done no harm. Knives aren't guns.

It amuses me that people are afraid to put a high end folder into a dishwaser... that they payed big money for a knife that supposedly has indestrucatble qualities, like phospher brionze washer, titanium grip , G10 ect.

Personally I have been putting knives (started with Spydercos and then up other more high end knives) hundreds and some THOUSANDS of times thru dishwasher cycles . These are high end stainless blades with grip materials like titanium, G10, aluminum and phospher bronze washers. Not cheap gas station knives with plastic washers, plastic parts or painted handles .

This thread topic is about "beater" knives anyway. So no need to warn people about what they can't do with their knife.

Reactions: DMG
Here are three work knives that have seen varying amounts of use and abuse. I dive with the Spyderco Autonomous and it has cut a lot of fishing line, rope and nets. The yellow Spyderco is my current work knife on the boats and submarine. The Buck Yachtsman was the knife I used as Diver's Tender and on the deck when I first started Commercial Diving in the early 1970's. It has seen a lot of abuse. The blade is worn about 10% off it's width from shapening on concrete or whatever abrasive surface was available.

i-Ft2Ftdh-XL.jpg

Great way to show your evolution of knives from the 1970's Buck Yachstsman to all the way to the Salt and modern Spyderco Autonomous.

The pic of all 3 was great and thanks for sharing. The worn sheath in the pic also helped put things in perspective.

More mind support I see. LOL!

It amuses me that people are afraid to put a high end folder into a dishwaser... that they payed big money for a knife that supposedly has indestrucatble qualities, like phospher brionze washer, titanium grip , G10 ect.

Personally I have been putting knives (started with Spydercos and then up other more high end knives) hundreds and some THOUSANDS of times thru dishwasher cycles . These are high end stainless blades with grip materials like titanium, G10, aluminum and phospher bronze washers. Not cheap gas station knives with plastic washers, plastic parts or painted handles .

This thread topic is about "beater" knives anyway. So no need to warn people about what they can't do with their knife.
It's not a warning of what you can't do with your knives, it is a warning of what you shouldn't do with your knives. Also, question the judgement of anyone who thinks it is okay :D

We already know you are fully crazy :) and we value your contribution just the same :thumbsup:

And to get back on topic, this knife came to me used and I've continued using the hell out of it. Building tomato trellises recently. Dangling from a ladder is a great place for an OTF!

SckOLwgh.jpg

More mind support I see. LOL!

It's not a warning of what you can't do with your knives, it is a warning of what you shouldn't do with your knives. Also, question the judgement of anyone who thinks it is okay :D

We already know you are fully crazy :) and we value your contribution just the same :thumbsup:

And to get back on topic, this knife came to me used and I've continued using the hell out of it. Building tomato trellises recently. Dangling from a ladder is a great place for an OTF!

SckOLwgh.jpg
I’ve got a buddy who runs a siding business so naturally they’re hanging off ladders the majority of the day. He carries an auto for that same reason

Two garage beaters (Large Grip and more recently an XL Kershaw) and yard beaters (ZT that's seen 9 lives and my goto Hinderer beater). I saw the OP, but when you have too many knives it lends itself to designated beaters regardless.

MmbbAU2.jpg

Last edited:
Me too, but the new Voyagers ain't so shabby either; in fact, the few that I have are my go-to beaters.

Great, now because of you 2 I will be on the lookout for a voyager. Love to get me a different platform-fun-thrasher knife like that.

Do you or John_B know which is better... the old Voyager or the new ones?

Just a traditional utility knife made by the Penan tribe in Borneo.
0cy233s

Last edited:
Great, now because of you 2 I will be on the lookout for a voyager. Love to get me a different platform-fun-thrasher knife like that.

Depending on what you are looking for, the simple answer is that the new ones are better.

The old Voyagers, of which I sadly have none, were more visually appealing; they looked good and were, for their price point, elegant. It's not that the new ones don't look fine, but side by side the old ones looked better IMO. However, the new ones have the Triad lock, (win!), are stronger, have a grippier handle texture and take up a little bit more real estate in your pocket. All of this makes them better users. If you want slimmer, better looking, etc. Cold Steel knives, they are available in the line-up. In fact, I would perhaps think that CS was on to this in designing the new Voyager line. They may not (again, IMO) look as nice or feel as nice but are tougher, stronger and slightly bigger knives - great user/beaters.

As for steel, the AUS-10 is good but when the new style AUS-8 Voyagers were on close-out sale I grabbed me a few; they have not disappointed.

Last edited:

I have multiples of both and I'll take the new Voyagers. The older models are a bit easier to carry though. Not as wide in the pocket.

Back