Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

I've long wanted a Scottish dirk and today I finally sated that urge.

51063710233_2d61da3b16_b.jpg

Or so I thought...I think it's had the opposite effect and instead whetted my appetite. This one is an early style dirk, without the intricate Celtic knotwork most people picture when they think of the type. She's a wonderful piece, better than most dirks I've seen sold or worn at the Caledonian Club's annual Scottish Highland Gathering and Games. It's sharp and forged from good steel. But...if this one is good, then I definitely need to get something made by Vince Evans.

;)
Nice! Tod did a great job on that one!

I'm carrying small these days, but this one by Suwannee Knifeworks (@nighthaxan) punches above its weight at five and a quarter inches overall with a two and one-eighth inch blade and two inch cutting edge. Curly birch handle slabs and carbon steel blade. It carries great in the pocket.

D3AsNQk.jpg

Zieg

Last edited:
I already had a mint 171UH from the later run without serial number, but wanted an early one with the number for a user.

AJXzvLD.jpg

Found this one on the bay for a decent price, with serial #02129, which places it from 1973, just after they went from the Schrade Walden stamp to the SCHRADE. After a little cleanup, it's ready for use.

HZrojL8.jpg

Notice how much longer the swedge is on the older knife that I just picked up.

I've long wanted a Scottish dirk and today I finally sated that urge.

51063710233_2d61da3b16_b.jpg

Or so I thought...I think it's had the opposite effect and instead whetted my appetite. This one is an early style dirk, without the intricate Celtic knotwork most people picture when they think of the type. She's a wonderful piece, better than most dirks I've seen sold or worn at the Caledonian Club's annual Scottish Highland Gathering and Games. It's sharp and forged from good steel. But...if this one is good, then I definitely need to get something made by Vince Evans.

;)

Beautiful Christian, I was looking at a very similar (or possibly identical) Dirk just recently :cool: I can remember the days when I could pick up a handmade Sambar-handled Dirk for £15! :eek: :rolleyes:

Nice! Tod did a great job on that one!

Agree. He did a good job. There are some fit and finish issues, but nothing unreasonable considering this was made by a chap in Oxford, not China or India, where workers are paid a pittance.

I can remember the days when I could pick up a handmade Sambar-handled Dirk for £15! :eek: :rolleyes:

Were those the days you could pick up a proper lambsfoot for a few quid?

Agree. He did a good job. There are some fit and finish issues, but nothing unreasonable considering this was made by a chap in Oxford, not China or India, where workers are paid a pittance.

Were those the days you could pick up a proper lambsfoot for a few quid?

Early 90's. You'd have probably got a Stan Shaw for a tenner then! :eek: :thumbsup:

In the 70's, or early 80's, I could have picked up a large Fred James Bowie for between £5 and £10! :thumbsup:

Just picked up this Dawson "Kogai" from the exchange. I love this thing and it fits into my modest Dawson collection perfectly as a representative of his more "Asian-inspired" knives. I'm sending it in to them for one of their pocket sheaths as I'll be carrying this as a real user, despite its "fightery" profile.

4TpvdPy.jpg

Zieg

I wish I'd been paying better attention in the 70s.

Of course, the quids were bigger back then.

Yes, quids were definitely bigger! :D I remember a mate of mine giving Fred James some wood for his fire, and he gave him nearly a dozen 6-8" Bowies :rolleyes: Going further back, there were always people selling cutlery canteens and pocket knives in pubs, for virtually nothing. Even the poorest folks in Sheffield had good quality table cutlery :rolleyes:

I found this at a mega garage sale. Sheath is not brittle at all and is fully functional even with a little stitching loss on the stone pouch. Always liked Schrade knives and still do. It was not sharp when I got it but it is now.

Spike.jpg

I found this in the mailbox a few weeks ago. Seems I ordered it in 2017. My specs and it's stainless so there's at least a possibility it's a one of a kind.

randall model 7.jpg

This Herter's is from the early '60's. I had a saddlemaker build the sheath for it. A personal treasure for a number of reasons, but suffice to say very fond of both the knife and the sheath.

Herters 1.jpg

This 119 has the Idaho Tang Stamp. Another favorite user. The Model 5 Randall is responsible for the Model 7. It gets used too and has handled more than one deer.

Randall Buck 2.jpg

These all take turns riding in the door pocket of my truck, going to the woods, camping, you name it. Glad they are getting used and appreciated, not just sitting in a dark safe somewhere.

Anyone know what I have here? Just pulled it out of my shamefully neglected and overfilled 'Virtual Table'/Box :rolleyes: I imagine it's a tourist piece, but seems reasonably well-made, both edges have been sharpened, hollow-ground from a central spine, horn handle. Blade is 5 1/2". Just interested in the pattern, and where it originates, if anyone recognises it :thumbsup:

oDfiJ9w.jpg

Hi there,

It’s a Kurdish Jambiya. I have never seen one with a straight blade before, it could have been reground at some point.

it would be worth etching it, sometimes they’re wootz.

Hi there,

It’s a Kurdish Jambiya. I have never seen one with a straight blade before, it could have been reground at some point.

It's something you might imagine struck one of Caesar's 23 blows. I like it!

Zieg

Hi there,

Thank you for the info :) :thumbsup:

It's something you might imagine struck one of Caesar's 23 blows. I like it!

Zieg

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me! :D :thumbsup:

Back