Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

specgrade specgrade
How's the pulls on your Böker?

I had to round the corner on the screwdriver/caplifter blade tang on mine a mite, so needle nose vice grips were not required to open that particular blade.

Last edited:
coolhand68 - that's a very nice Ulster, I am lucky enough to have one minty coming my way- in fact I think the package has arrived in NZ just the other day, but I wont get to see it for a few days yet!

Wow!, Cal- there's some neat old Ulsters there my friend, just a great pair of Boys and Girls Scout's and both have had very little use!

Augie, nice Challenge - it would be good to see Billie just to slap him in the face as a reminder how not to name your knife lol.

Now forgive me my friends, because this Scout does not look much and for looks- does not compare to much- in saying that- I still like the look of the older Beast.
This Knife has something that I have not seen before in the Camullius Scout Knives, I believe this Knife - as it was mentioned as well by the previous owner - to be a very early example, there are a few things that make this knife stand out, and in turn makes it quite the collectable if comparing to the other "ordinary" Scouts ( which I dont think these Knives are- I think they are quite the spectacular Knife ).

1, The blade long etch ( you have to look carefully at the VERY POOR photo I took as it is fairly faded ) " BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA"
2, The double sized Main Spring- this Spring is massive to any other Camillus Utility, Scout Knife ( be careful not to include liners of comparison Knives )
3, Every "Blade" has been stamped on the Tangs, no Camillus Scouts have this feature either ( that I have seen ), which I think was a early method.
4, It features a Mayer Punch, again you just dont see the Mayer Punch on the Camillus Scouts ( edit: I now have seen a few Camillus scouts using this Punch)
5, Pin difference

The Punch also you don't see often on a Camillus Scout, Camullis use a few different Punches, from their lovely and famous Spiral Punch, another is a very plain and thin Punch that is fairly unremarkable, and now this one Patented Aug 11th 1908, No. 895778, the Moritz Mayer Punch, although this Punch has been used and worn but not abused, the Punch sports not only all the above Patent information, but on the other side the 3 line CAMILLUS. CUTLERY CO. CAMILLUS NY. as do all the other Blades / Tools.

All Pins have been Hammered- where as every other WW2 Camillus Scout / Utility has the Centre Spring Pin spun.

The Thick Spring is the very left..

8OxmJZU.jpg

Ffs4ZKZ.jpg

K9HwQGF.jpg

LcUX7US.jpg

vQYd4Cl.jpg

jw3lF8k.jpg

4YUGZxF.jpg

Last edited:
specgrade specgrade
How's the pulls on your Böker?

I had to round the corner on the screwdriver/caplifter blade on mine a mite, so needle nose vice grips were not required to open that particular blade.

Quite easy actually. Walk and talk are much better than the Rough Rider. I took a gamble by buying the Boker and it paid off. I bought Two more to give to my kids, who love to camp.
I wish there was a way to lighten the spring on the Rough Rider (no Y on this one :) )

Last edited:
Augie Augie I wonder if Billie is a lurker and/or member under another name here ...

Challenge went out of business in the 1920's so doubtful Billie is still alive unless the name was scratched in there by a later owner. I like when a vintage knife is personalized, adds a little history to it in my opinion.

coolhand68 - that's a very nice Ulster, I am lucky enough to have one minty coming my way- in fact I think the package has arrived in NZ just the other day, but I wont get to see it for a few days yet!

Wow!, Cal- there's some neat old Ulsters there my friend, just a great pair of Boys and Girls Scout's and both have had very little use!

Augie, nice Challenge - it would be good to see Billie just to slap him in the face as a reminder how not to name your knife lol.

Now forgive me my friends, because this Scout does not look much and for looks- does not compare to much- in saying that- I still like the look of the older Beast.
This Knife has something that I have not seen before in the Camullius Scout Knives, I believe this Knife - as it was mentioned as well by the previous owner - to be a very early example, there are a few things that make this knife stand out, and in turn makes it quite the collectable if comparing to the other "ordinary" Scouts ( which I dont think these Knives are- I think they are quite the spectacular Knife ).

1, The blade long etch ( you have to look carefully at the VERY POOR photo I took as it is fairly faded ) " BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA"
2, The double sized Main Spring- this Spring is massive to any other Camillus Utility, Scout Knife ( be careful not to include liners of comparison Knives )
3, Every "Blade" has been stamped on the Tangs, no Camillus Scouts have this feature either ( that I have seen ), which I think was a early method.
4, It features a Mayer Punch, again you just dont see the Mayer Punch on the Camillus Scouts
5, Pin difference

The Punch also you don't see often on a Camillus Scout, Camullis use a few different Punches, from their lovely and famous Spiral Punch, another is a very plain and thin Punch that is fairly unremarkable, and now this one Patented Aug 11th 1908, No. 895778, the Moritz Mayer Punch, although this Punch has been used and worn but not abused, the Punch sports not only all the above Patent information, but on the other side the 3 line CAMILLUS. CUTLERY CO. CAMILLUS NY. as do all the other Blades / Tools.

All Pins have been Hammered- where as every other WW2 Camillus Scout / Utility has the Centre Spring Pin spun.

The Thick Spring is the very left..

8OxmJZU.jpg

Ffs4ZKZ.jpg

K9HwQGF.jpg

LcUX7US.jpg

vQYd4Cl.jpg

jw3lF8k.jpg

4YUGZxF.jpg

Duncan, I don't know if you've seen this or not, but thought you might find it interesting...

Extract from 600 Scout Knives (1997) by Joseph Richard Kerr:
282KToe.jpg

4mrLMVn.jpg

Thank you Al my friend, I appreciate this very much! :) :thumbsup:
I think this knife is an earlier era Camillus around 1915 - very much in line with a Camillus I put up on the Old Knife thread recently ( S131) - it has the four line stamping - is what we call a prototype- yet paperwork suggest 1915- I was lucky enough to obtain photos of the Original Paper Work for the S131 the other day!

Haven't seen this thread for a while!! It was mouldering away back on
page 27!!:eek: I am looking to post an interesting little Scout here!
Does a 3 7/16" knife (nominal 3 1/2") qualify as a junior scout??
I'll have to check my Levine's so I know what to call it!!:rolleyes:

Back