Lets talk GEC!

"The Great Gatsby... He was, uh, great!"

Great Eastern Cutlery... They're great!

46139369475_0e438560c5_b.jpg

I remember eyeing a Pumpkin Patch 66 Jack for weeks on end, dithering. And you know what? it disappeared :eek:;):D And this was a small run 'popular' pattern - it seems like another lifetime;)

Yes, a Coffin Jack would be in order but I think it's quite a complex pattern in terms of finishing. My wants from GEC are unchanging: Small Swayback like CASE's, 3.5" Norfolk with a long master and Rat-Tails, Small Stockman 3 3/8" either square end like Queen's or a Mini Dixie:cool: 3.5 " Swell End/Teardrop with small ringed bolster, how about a Tip Bolster Penknife too?:) Not a big want list eh?;) But something to have in mind:thumbsup:

Am I making it up or was there a stockman 68??? That's a 3.5" stockman

Hey everyone. New member. Just wanted to introduce myself.
A few weeks ago I went online to add a piece or 2 to a Case collection I started as a kid. Didn’t take long for GEC to pop up on my screen. Now my recycling is filling up with small flat rate boxes.

A few questions:
I have a 97 Brazilian Jigged Wood on order but I’m also leaning towards adding a jig bone. Any word yet on what color we’ll be seeing?

I got a Pemberton in smooth white bone but the bone is neither smooth nor white. It’s more a very slightly jigged “salt and pepper” bone. (Is that a thing? It is now.)
It’s a user so not really important but since I’m new to this I would appreciate your opinions. I’m of 2 minds about it. Part of me appreciates that this is a natural material with inherent variation. If it looked perfect I might as well get white plastic. However, it doesn’t look anything like the pictures I’m seeing on GEC’s and dealers’s sites. If this was your knife, do you keep it for the character, or ask the dealer to replace it?

P.S. - If the first GEC I saw was a French Kate, I would have saved a ton of money .
Thanks!

View attachment 1070564
View attachment 1070565

Welcome! I think your Pemberton looks great. But if you don't like it, I'm sure you could move it along easily.

I find the #38 special interesting for a reason I can’t quite figure out.

Every time it is mentioned I wonder why it proved unsuccessful, when it is so similar to successful patterns. If there was an obvious and clear deficiency I could put my mind at ease, but I just can’t spot it. I sold my two versions but I am tempted to buy another just to try and figure it out.

One criticism, and it could be valid, of the 38 Special is the it has a rather skimpy Turkish Clip. In contrast to its 3 bladed sibling which sports a full size Clip, I must say I think it would work and look better with the more substantial blade.

I hope this hasn't put GEC off from trying other combinations with this frame, a Penknife for instance? I even wonder if the frame could house a Spear....:cool:

Every time it is mentioned I wonder why it proved unsuccessful, when it is so similar to successful patterns. If there was an obvious and clear deficiency I could put my mind at ease, but I just can’t spot it. I sold my two versions but I am tempted to buy another just to try and figure it out.

I just can't get over the look of the knife. To me it looks like a trapper that got put together wrong. The Pruner and the Whittler look fine to me.

One criticism, and it could be valid, of the 38 Special is the it has a rather skimpy Turkish Clip.

Reckon that's where the "different strokes for different folks" saying comes into play.. I think the 38 Special's blade is one of it's very few redeeming qualities. That thing is a slicing machine.

I don’t know if my impression of the #38 is relevant or not. My thought is simply it looks more like a weapon than it does a tool. For that reason I am attracted to the Cuban and Churchill.

Fraid so. They make a pretty big deal about the patent in the ad copy. They have licenced it, on occasion. There was a Japanese edition, and if memory serves, Queen made a special edition. But they were all Marble's brand.

Shame, I think GEC could really knock it out of the park. I’m tempted to try one of the cheap Chinese ones just to check it out.

97 PPP question for you.
I’ve seen some conflicting information so I’m hoping you can shed some light. According to GEC’s production schedule, which I’m sure is subject to change, the Tidioute jigged bone is scheduled first followed by the jigged cherry and the Micarta.
Does the entire Tidioute run get the PPP mark, or just the jigged bone run, or just the first X number of the jigged bone run?
Thanks guys.

Back when the PPP etch started, the ENTIRE first run of a new pattern was around 2-300 pieces (typically 3 different handle choices) and all got the etch. Now, each individual handle material exceeds that number. I'm interested to see how they do the etch with this newly ramped up production.

Back