Lets talk GEC!

Does anybody here have a GEC 85 One Armed? The one with the weird thing above the tip to help open it with one hand? Could you then show some pictures of it closed?

If your talking the #85 EO, there are some pics in the For Sale by Individuals both sold quickly (darn it!!) They were posted yesterday or today..can't remember.

Peter

Just ordered my first GEC. Was planning on picking up a new low priced custom until I remember that I have a Reese Bose on order and that my wait is getting close to being up (7 years goes so fast! ha!). So, instead I'll be saving up for that but still needed something new to put in my pocket until then. Decided to give the GEC Tidioute Huckleberry boys knife a try. Got the ebony handled two-blade version. Looking forward to seeing how good these are as the only slipjoints I've ever owned have been Case (of which one or two are pretty nice and the rest are mediocre at best) and customs. Hoping the GEC falls nicely in the middle.

Just ordered my first GEC. Was planning on picking up a new low priced custom until I remember that I have a Reese Bose on order and that my wait is getting close to being up (7 years goes so fast! ha!). So, instead I'll be saving up for that but still needed something new to put in my pocket until then. Decided to give the GEC Tidioute Huckleberry boys knife a try. Got the ebony handled two-blade version. Looking forward to seeing how good these are as the only slipjoints I've ever owned have been Case (of which one or two are pretty nice and the rest are mediocre at best) and customs. Hoping the GEC falls nicely in the middle.

I think you'll be quite pleased with that knife!

I'm stoked that I may finally be able to get a Whaler! Anyone know if they will all be 2 bladed, or will there be any single blade versions?

I'm not sure what it would cost but I would love GEC to use some MOP. I know they've used Looking Glass Pearl as I have a few but I'd love some actual MOP. Maybe on a etch-less 440C #33 Conductor with long pull and cut swedge on the clip blade, and coping blade secondary. All stainless construction too please. I'd love some Damascus blades too eventually, just not on this MOP #33.

I went to a Christening yesterday and had my MOP Queen #21 Senator. I've typically carried a GEC or custom slip joint every day for as long as I can remember. It's probably been months since I carried this Queen. I took some time to touch up the edge earlier today. I also touched up my Case Damascus Peanut and AG Russel Pinched Peanut (I'm still kicking myself for not getting a pinched peanut in MOP when they were available...). , They were sharp and didn't really need it but that didn't matter. I know I should carry these knives more often but I was thinking the first paragraph while doing my touch ups.

Received my first GEC today, first time I've ever gotten to handle one. It's a #15 Boys Knife in ebony, 2 blade with the spear main. Overall I'm very impressed with the fit & finish for a production knife. Knife feels very solid, fit of handle and bolsters is excellent. Blades sit centered, open smoothly with a really nice but comfortable amount of resistance. Springs sit perfectly flush open and closed on both blades, main blade is almost perfect in the half-stop position but the pen blade has the spring sitting a little proud in the half-stop position - overall, not bad for a production knife really. Blades aren't exactly sharp, but not totally dull either.

Really, my only complaint is the difficulty of getting to the nail nick on the main blade. The pen blade really does obscure it. Something I know has been discussed but I didn't really realized it until after I had ordered it. I love the blade configuration but trying to decide if I'm going to be happy with it as an EDC with this issue. I haven't put it in my pocket yet as I want to play with it a little more before I decide if I'll keep it, but I'm impressed with the overall quality.

GEC definitely seems to be making knives the way they once were made...good quality, reasonable prices, and nice carbon steel blades.

Congrats slide on your first GEC. I received my first last week...a 73 slipjoint in ebony. i would post a pic, but i left my phone behind, it would seem.

as you said, f&f was fantastic. nice looking knife. but, i have decided it will not be kept. it is just too hard to pull open, and has a very pronounced 1/2 stop. i realize some people prefer this, but it's not for me.

now...i was able to pick up a 42 lockback in ebony, as well. it arrived yesterday and immediately went into my pocket. i love this knife.

aaaand, i just ordered a 72 to compare the size to the 42.

aaaand, i just ordered a 72 to compare the size to the 42.[/QUOTE]

I would like to hear your thoughts when you compare the #72 to the 42 and your recollection of the #73.. ie is the pull on the 72 lighter than the 73??

is the pull on the 72 lighter than the 73??

I realize the question wasn't addressed to me, and I apologize for buttin' in, but in my experience the answer is a definite "yes".

A 72 is at least a couple of notches lower on my scale than a 73. If I were to rate a 73 at a pull of 8, a 72 would be a 5 or 6.

72 Cody Jack or 72 Lockback? Big difference between the slip joint and lock back versions. I know they're tough to find but if you want a easier opening #73 slip joint, get one with a lanyard tube.

Back