Lets talk GEC!

This picture was captioned “Bloodwood slabs ready for milling for the upcoming #29 Northfield three blade.” Bloodwood isn’t listed on the production schedule. I wonder is this will be an additional option or will this take the place of the Snakewood option?View attachment 1159404
There are pictures of snakewood for the GEC#29 knife, on the GEC web-sight right now. Too bad GEC did not use this wood on more #93 Rams foot knives.

Do you use your acrylics? If so, how do they hold up? I have some experience with things made of acrylic, but not much with knives.
My most used traditional, I don’t hold back on it and it’s done fine:
WV5gL41.jpg

My most used traditional, I don’t hold back on it and it’s done fine

I love the point on that Sheepsfoot. With that angle being ~45 degrees it’s very reminiscent of a popular sloyd knife updated variant (based on the original as described in “The Teacher’s Hand-book of Slöjd by Otto Salomon, 1892″).

Do you use your acrylics? If so, how do they hold up? I have some experience with things made of acrylic, but not much with knives.

I have, like, and use GEC knives with acrylic handles. I think acrylic is a tough material. However, I don't think people always believe me when I say it here lol but, I have had the acrylic on GEC knives shrink, crack, or warp on a few examples. I had a #56 mardi gras that cracked while in the tube, my #65 in black gold acrylic/perylic has definitely shrunk in the time I've owned it, and I have a #22 in Sea Glass acrylic/perylic that has lifted slightly off of the liners.

There’s some pretty pictures of some Osage Orange #29s up and mostly done that are driving me nutty. There’s a couple pictures of the gorgeous jigged bone Tidioute slabs up as well- loving that jigging...

Will I be able to hold off on getting one? Or succumb to the temptations and siren call of GEC?...

Ultimately probably not going to matter what I want; I can’t beat some of these guys when it comes to speed of purchasing.

I have done several searches and can't find an answer. I'm probably gonna call GEC also, once they're open today.

Does anybody know if Bob's #71 Bullnose in Tortoise Shell Acrylic SFO was in O1 or the normal 1095?

I’m a little surprised these are getting snapped up so quickly. Both acrylic and the punch have folks divided on here at least. I really think putting “whittler” in the name could be it! ;)

Patiently awaiting the silky feel of Osage to return to the rotation.

Very happy that these are finally out. It might not fly off the shelves like the 93s did, but this is going to be a terrific knife.

Will I use the punch much? Nope. But a spay wouldn't serve me any differently than the clip would, so at least there's added functionality in case I need it.
20190726_090552.jpg

Very happy that these are finally out. It might not fly off the shelves like the 93s did, but this is going to be a terrific knife.

Will I use the punch much? Nope. But a spay wouldn't serve me any differently than the clip would, so at least there's added functionality in case I need it.
View attachment 1168286

Look really good! The bolsters tie in nicely with that acrylic. How does the weight/thickness/feel in hand strike you?

Look really good! The bolsters tie in nicely with that acrylic. How does the weight/thickness/feel in hand strike you?
Hey Mark,
I just left a bit of a comparison between this and a 66 in the 29 Humpback Whittler thread, but the 2 knives compare well overall.

The 29 is a little heavier (by about 0.1 oz) and longer, but is actually a bit thinner than my 66 (keeping in mind 2 different handle materials).

I'm smitten with it so far. I will be carrying a 29, though it probably won't be this specific one. I'll probably get a jigged bone for a user.

I’m kinda hoping they don’t fly off the shelves so I can make up my damn mind about them.

I think I’m with you on your critique of the third blade. My stockman’s and other whittlers all have severely under utilized Spey/pen blades. I can think of more times when I’d need to punch a hole in something, or lift a cap.

Brings up a good question though. I think most of us can get behind the idea of a two blade configuration being useful; to each their own regarding the most useful combo. But for our 3 blade knife fans, what’s the most useful blade for the third if you already have a straight edge and a bellied blade?

I’ve never been a fan of two identical secondaries.

Maybe in the future I’ll write to GEC and ask for a reversed #29: two full size primaries; clip point and Sheepsfoot, with a small-medium wharnecliffe secondary in between.

The nice thing about the three spring construction of this knife is that if you really aren't sold on the punch, can can spend a few dollars and ask one of the nice modders that hang around into just remove it.

I'll be purchasing one simply because I cannot pass up a that eureka like frame. Guess we can't call it a swell center but it is dead sexy.

Brings up a good question though. I think most of us can get behind the idea of a two blade configuration being useful; to each their own regarding the most useful combo. But for our 3 blade knife fans, what’s the most useful blade for the third if you already have a straight edge and a bellied blade?
A caplifter.
A stockman with a caplifter instead of a spey would be popular I think.

(I think @black mamba had one made). We Probably won't see it from GEC as that's not considered a "traditional pattern." Shame as the demand would be there. Not sure GEC has ever stepped outside the box and created a new configuration. Here's hoping.

I personally like the punch and use it for mainly scraping tasks, but if not that, I'd like a small pen blade or even a needle like Wharncliffe.

The nice thing about the three spring construction of this knife is that if you really aren't sold on the punch, can can spend a few dollars and ask one of the nice modders that hang around into just remove it.

I'll be purchasing one simply because I cannot pass up a that eureka like frame. Guess we can't call it a swell center but it is dead sexy.

I love the idea of the mod- but how to I get someone to flip the sheepsfoot and it’s nail nick to the other side? :p:D

I personally like the punch and use it for mainly scraping tasks, but if not that, I'd like a small pen blade or even a needle like Wharncliffe.
Sounds like you’re dreaming of a Eureka Jack ;) and who could blame you.

Back