Lets talk GEC!

I’m trying this from the mobile app, so let’s see if this works, @HEMI 49.

https://i.imgur.com/dFWEroL.jpg

Edit: Going conventional on this one- that didn't work as I intended.
dFWEroL.jpg

Last edited:
Ron, I’m pretty sure what you have is a Cumberland Knife Works SFO. CKW was an early dealer for GEC and they were located in Cookeville Tennessee. I quoted the below insert from another thread. I’m sure what you have is similar to what Ed has posted below. :)

That's what I've got!!!!

Except it's the series 1 with rams horn.

Thanks so much Halfstop. I was thinking the CKW was cyclops knife works.

not my pic..but this is my knife

View attachment 1202543

I am becoming rather fond of this elderberry color. The 92 is a bit lighter than the 82 but no less rich. I am rather bummed that I didn't get one of the Elderberry 78s when they were available though, I think it would have made for a handsome trio here. However, I don't regret letting the Elderberry 77 go, pink isn't really my color.

Sh8Gthv.jpg

I am becoming rather fond of this elderberry color. The 92 is a bit lighter than the 82 but no less rich. I am rather bummed that I didn't get one of the Elderberry 78s when they were available though, I think it would have made for a handsome trio here. However, I don't regret letting the Elderberry 77 go, pink isn't really my color.

Sh8Gthv.jpg
It's as if your in my mind, I was just thinking the same thing. I was fortunate enough to buy the last 2 blade elderberry 78 from a dealer earlier this year. Now with the 92 in hand I am seriously thinking of adding the 82 before they are gone. The only decision is Dixie or possum?

I’m trying this from the mobile app, so let’s see if this works, @HEMI 49.

https://i.imgur.com/dFWEroL.jpg

Edit: Going conventional on this one- that didn't work as I intended.
dFWEroL.jpg

EngrSorenson, I just checked (wish I didn't now :p) and mine is the same. The rest of the knife is fine but when grinding the concave part, it was held at a slight angle, producing a side-to-side height difference of +/- 1/32". On a single blade/tall knife with the back of the handle being flat or having a convex curve, this wouldn't have happened to this degree as it is easier to hold the blade perpendicular to the grinder. ...If it can help make you feel a bit better about it (worked for me) , I checked some of my other GEC knives and found a couple that are not ground perpendicular (only by looking at them). If it bothers you too much, there's always the possibility to send it back and have them fix it, which would be an easy job in this case.

Gab

It's as if your in my mind, I was just thinking the same thing. I was fortunate enough to buy the last 2 blade elderberry 78 from a dealer earlier this year. Now with the 92 in hand I am seriously thinking of adding the 82 before they are gone. The only decision is Dixie or possum?

That's fantastic that you were able to scoop one up! In regards to Possum vs. Dixie, my decision came down to the shield. The Dixie had the cooler shield, in my opinion, plus I didn't have a GEC stockman yet at the time. That said though, you can't go wrong with either.

Can you open the blades then sit it on a table so it is more obvious what is buffing as opposed to finger tilt?

I've tried my best to capture what you're asking. you can see some tilt as the knife lays on the bolster and swell end (where it naturally balances) and note the resulting lean in the top-down shot. The end-on shot demonstrates that there is additional asymmetry in the end cap grind. All of my GECs have a little left-to-right asymmetry in the grind, but usually it's very subtle and I love subtle details that demonstrate someone worked with their hands. I'd be interested on your thoughts though!

EngrSorenson, I just checked (wish I didn't now :p) and mine is the same.

It actually doesn't bother me as much as the side-to-side main blade movement in the blade well. That's driving me crazy, so much that now I've contacted GEC yesterday (with an email to their 'sales' email?) to see if they will fix both that and my #06 Pemberton which has a similar issue.

b7TB2Nr.jpg

XsPEL37.jpg

I've tried my best to capture what you're asking. you can see some tilt as the knife lays on the bolster and swell end (where it naturally balances) and note the resulting lean in the top-down shot. The end-on shot demonstrates that there is additional asymmetry in the end cap grind. All of my GECs have a little left-to-right asymmetry in the grind, but usually it's very subtle and I love subtle details that demonstrate someone worked with their hands. I'd be interested on your thoughts though!

It actually doesn't bother me as much as the side-to-side main blade movement in the blade well. That's driving me crazy, so much that now I've contacted GEC yesterday (with an email to their 'sales' email?) to see if they will fix both that and my #06 Pemberton which has a similar issue.

b7TB2Nr.jpg

XsPEL37.jpg
:eek: That's pretty skewed. I'd return it.

That may be one that you will just have to make a conscious decision on going forward. I don't know many tubes, or other maker boxes, etc. I would have to open up to find a slipjoint that doesn't have some movement when pushing the blade in the closed position.

I'd be interested on your thoughts though!

You probably wouldn't :D
I think I see what you are talking about; but am almost certain I would have never spotted it myself.

Last edited:
That may be one that you will just have to make a conscious decision on going forward. I don't know many tubes, or other maker boxes, etc. I would have to open up to find a slipjoint that doesn't have some movement when pushing the blade in the closed position.

I’ve got 5/7 GECs that don’t wobble when closed- particularly good examples, too! A 152118, 141118, 2x 933119 and a 351217. I expect the blade to flex, but this kind of movement I’m experiencing is actual tang repositioning. I even have case knives that don’t do that, and we all know how their quality control is these days.

I don’t challenge your experience, merely that I’ve had a different experience, or perhaps that we’re talking about two different things.

Back