Lets talk GEC!

However most craft beers are coming in cans these days.:D:cool: so then there is that.

Much to my chagrin. I love drinking from a bottle. I hate drinking from a can. And I'm too lazy to get up and search for a glass.

The Beer Scout is definitely my party knife. Great cap lifter. It has a better flathead screwdriver than most scout patterns, and makes a great scraper as well. The sheepsfoot blade is just really, really handy for "around the house" work. It's a very versatile and easy love knife.

rjmtl6bh.jpg

I pretty much always prefer a multiblade knife. Like @draggat, I need that extra thickness in hand, due to my long fingers. For blades, I like to have a couple of options, if possible. Spear and coping is awesome. Clip and coping is good too. But I'm never opposed to the blade/tool combo, like the Beer Scout or a harness jack.

It is about time that GEC got up off their duff, and made a shorter version of this big guy, based on the #35 frame.

3MdNEG9h.jpg

Ultimately, I'm fine with either configuration, but I do prefer the coping to be in front of the spear.

It's probably because I became used to it being there on my 2013 models, but I like how I don't have to reposition the knife to open the secondary blade (also part of the reason I overall prefer 2 bladed jacks). I completely understand how the coping obscures part of the nicks & pulls, but I guess that never affected me.

I also prefer the aesthetics of the coping blade in front.

But again, it's all splitting hairs. Both are fine by me!

Sharp knives are good for splitting hairs, you know. I've only had one 92, and it is from the most recent run, but I think having the coping in front would make for easier opening (not that it is hard to open from behind, obviously). I do like the look of the smaller blade riding low in front of the main blade. It would seem to affect the long pull rather than the nail nick as far as access.

im a craftsman, all I need is one blade, its a tool, the screwdriver is extremely useful to me as well. I am not a collector but do have a few GEC knives, and will probably unload most because I find the cap lifter is the one I actually use.
what do you feel is the benefit of having multiple blades in one knife? all I see is redundancy and extra weight in my pocket.

Different blade shapes are better for different types of cuts.
^^ That, pretty much. ^^ I was gonna list the various different ways I might use a knife, along with what might make particular blades shapes optimal, but I think it's already been covered. I've really been enjoying my Stockyard Whittler, with a main blade just long enough to half a sandwich and a shorter straight edge for detailed draw cuts. Plus an extra scrapey-pokey tool for doing stuff I don't want to mess up a sharp edge on.
eJpQxRk.jpg

It is about time that GEC got up off their duff, and made a shorter version of this big guy, based on the #35 frame.

3MdNEG9h.jpg
;):thumbsup:
xMHYETq.jpg

I think if they replace the large spear with a caplifter/screwdriver, it would be perfect. :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
^^ That, pretty much. ^^ I was gonna list the various different ways I might use a knife, along with what might make particular blades shapes optimal, but I think it's already been covered. I've really been enjoying my Stockyard Whittler, with a main blade just long enough to half a sandwich and a shorter straight edge for detailed draw cuts. Plus an extra scrapey-pokey tool for doing stuff I don't want to mess up a sharp edge on.
eJpQxRk.jpg

xMHYETq.jpg

I think if they replace the large spear with a caplifter/screwdriver, it would be perfect. :cool::thumbsup:
I found not agree any more, with the same screwdriver from the cap lifter!!

Don't over look the utility of a cap lifter even when drinking craft beer from a can. Sometimes you get a stubborn can that might be be tough to get the fingernail under the tab, so you just pull out the cap lifter for extra leverage to help crack open the brew.

Well, to be fair (queue Letterkenny chorus)

To be ffaaaaaaiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry, had to do it!

When I go somewhere when the intention of consuming many beverages in glass bottles, I normally take my beerlow with me. Although in college I learned many ways to open a beer with no tools at all, I do prefer to whip out the bottle opener and do it the old fashioned way.

I don't get a chance to use it as a screwdriver much....flat head fasteners are not something you run across anymoee in vehicles made in the last 30 years.

I missed out on the Beer Scouts and Crown Lifters from past years. I'd be stoked if a crown lifter showed up on the schedule in 2020.

I always had a preference for single blade knives, however the Eureka Jacks changed my tune this year. The coping blade gets most of the use opening packages, skinning wire, etc. While the spear gets used primarily for food prep.

Well, to be fair (queue Letterkenny chorus)

To be ffaaaaaaiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry, had to do it!

To be faaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir.

eJpQxRk.jpg

xMHYETq.jpg

I wonder if you couldn’t turn the clip into a cap lifter and the sheep into a can opener?

I wonder if you couldn’t turn the clip into a cap lifter and the sheep into a can opener?
Oh, no! The sheepfoot is my favorite!

To be clear: I took that picture of a #35 Drover (spear and awl) laying on top of a #35 Churchill (clip and sheepfoot) GEC hasn't yet made a four blade 35. We could fill many pages of discussion about which four blades would be best. ;)

So, below is a unique example of modifying a cigar pattern such that it has a cap lifter. Here we have what I believe to be originated as a three blade cattle knife. The spey was modded into a cap lifter. Now, for my education lesson for today. My understanding is that the 53 pattern does not have half stops, the 54 pattern does have half stops. Well, my 4 blade cattle baron knife is stamped 2010 in the 53 pattern and does not have half stops. This three blade cattle knife stamped 2010 in the 53 pattern DOES have half stops. So, were the 3 blade cattles really 54's but stamped 53? Or did GEC just run 53's with half stops. Please educate me on this one. Oh, you like that cattle-cap?
20191127_103348.jpg 20191127_103455.jpg

Back