Let's talk Northwoods

Mine just came in today. I am really happy with it.

YnF1FXv.jpg

Wounm1e.jpg

Well my Mammoth Big Bay arrived and very happy with it . Didn't realize how polished and smooth the mammoth Ivory is :thumbsup:
Has really nice fit and finish also with great blade centering. Nice snap with about a high 6 on the pull .
Trying out a new phone so excuse the pictures.
ELCrrcI.jpg

CU3PU3y.jpg

qCVLWwB.jpg

A couple close ups of the Mammoth
q2XM4a3.jpg

ZEMdqtF.jpg

Doh!

I was expecting not to like mine. But I've used a Benchmade 940 infamous modern folder that has a stoopid saber grind, and that thing actually cuts, and has significantly thicker blade stock than this. They ground this very thinly behind the edge, and I don't think it will have a problem cutting at all, actually.

Woah mama is it nice, and did I ever just fall in love with it at first sight.

40828922662_e3616335a6_b.jpg

Got mine yesterday.

My quick thoughts: it's a well made knife. Great construction, no gaps perfect centering and grinds as far as I can tell, and great walk and talk. I'm not sure the altered aesthetics make it worth the increased price and difficulty of purchase over the #78 for me.

Last edited:
I think it's kind of a unique offering. I've see knives that have an in-between size bolster, not big enough for a Barlow, but definitely bigger than a regular bolster. Those knives are few and far between. There are definite differences in the finishing between these and regular GECs, too.

I think it's kind of a unique offering. I've see knives that have an in-between size bolster, not big enough for a Barlow, but definitely bigger than a regular bolster. Those knives are few and far between. There are definite differences in the finishing between these and regular GECs, too.
Would you elaborate on the differences you see in the finishing between these and regular GECs?

Would you elaborate on the differences you see in the finishing between these and regular GECs?

I talk about that a lot in my video on the Northwoods Big Bay (compared to the #78 American Jack)

Basically, IMHO, there's a lot put into making this Northwoods knife look more rustic. Sabre grind, unfinished flats on the blade, stamped rather than etched branding, extremely sparse tang stamp (just "U.S.A."), brushed rather than polished bolster, and burlap and giraffe bone and Mammoth Ivory (which all have less uniform looks and more "character"). I'm not sure it takes more work or is more premium, but it's definitely a coherent and different take.

Last edited:
The grind on the blade is similar to Benchmade's - it has a palpable Blanchard grind texture. The hafting on the spring is finished a little different, as is on the bolsters - much cleaner polishing than I see on GEC knives. Those polish up really wasily to match. But the finishing of the metal is notably different on both the blade and the hardware.

I talk about that a lot in my video on the Northwoods Big Bay (compared to the #78 American Jack)

Basically, IMHO, there's a lot put into making this Northwoods knife look more rustic. Sabre grind, unfinished flats on the blade, stamped rather than etched branding, extremely sparse tang stamp (just "U.S.A."), brushed rather than polished bolster, and burlap and giraffe bone and Mammoth Ivory (which all have less uniform looks and more "character"). I'm not sure it takes more work or is more premium, but it's definitely a coherent and different take.
Excellent review. You seem to hit all points and are honest in review. I appreciated this. Way to go

Excellent review. You seem to hit all points and are honest in review. I appreciated this. Way to go

Glad you enjoyed it! I have the tendency to 1) ramble when I talk about knives and 2) always talk positively because I can usually find something I like in a knife, but I'm trying to give a somewhat organized description from my perspective of what the knife is all about and both the positive and the negative. I believe I'll be getting a stag #43 that will get a full review also.

Heirphoto Heirphoto I like the burlap handles I ended up with, but it's definitely a coarse material. A canvas would be a nice in-between.

View attachment 871423

I like the even pattern on yours. No problem with rustic but the wonky spot on mine just killed it for me. I am a very visual person and as an industrial radiographer my entire day is spent looking for tiny visual inconsistencies (on film) so flaws in the weave pattern just leap out at me. I have trouble with most dyed jigged bone too :eek: . I would love to have a red jigged GEC #43 but the pink or nearly white ends by the bolster would drive me nuts. yes, it is a curse but it is mine to bear..

Back