Let's talk Northwoods

Been a year already since Derrick passed on to be with the Lord.
One of my favorites.

QhHyNuX.jpg

Many of the Northwoods knives Derrick produced and designed are instant favorites of mine and true classics. His passion and inspiration will be sorely missed.

On a positive note, today I had the chance to venture by the store where they ship knives for free. They are right in my backyard now after their relocating to the Chattanooga area. After chatting with the guys there for a bit I was able to meet Jay from Northwoods. Since I was headed down there I had to take my beautiful NW Broadway Jack along for the ride of course. Long story short we ended up chatting for quite some time about traditional knives and various other sharp things. He ran to the back to grab his red saw cut Broadyway Jack. It was a fun little show and tell. The few of the them I met today really left me a great impression. Should have snapped a pic of the pair together but it slipped my mind until I got home. Any how here is my Northwoods carry for the day. I'm looking forward to what they produce in the future. What a fantastic group of people!
IMG_0405.jpg

Derrick's videos are really what propelled me into this hobby. I was in a low-spot in life and was reminiscing back on better years (my childhood) and one artifact of those days was a Schrade barlow I purchased with "my own money," and all by myself, at the base exchange. Long since lost, I set off to find a new barlow as an adult, 4 or 5 years ago, as a tangible token of better times that I could carry with me. My internet searches led the "google gods" to start recommending videos to me and one of them featured Derrick with a slipjoint sporting an arrowhead shield. I'd never seen such a shield before and it grabbed my attention. His warm personality and love of traditional knives had me searching out all his videos and picking up a few new (and expensive (at least to me, then)) slipjoints wearing arrowheads, hot dogs, and clouds. The knives, the people, the KSF videos....basically the hobby...was a little ray of joy in an otherwise gloomy patch of life. Years later, the gloom has passed, but the hobby remains and serves as a reminder of how simple pleasures in life--as well as goodhearted people--can make a difference in the way we persist through trials. I'll always remember Derrick for that. I never met him and he never knew me, but I'm sure obliged to him.

Last edited:
Derrick's videos are really what propelled me into this hobby. I was in a low-spot in life and was reminiscing back to better years (my childhood) and one artifact of those days was a Schrade barlow I purchased with my own money at the base exchange. Long since lost, I set off to find a new barlow as an adult, 4 or 5 years ago, as a tangible token of better times that I could carry with me. My internet searches led the "google gods" to start recommending videos to me and one of them featured Derrick with a slipjoint sporting an arrowhead shield. I'd never seen such a shield before and it grabbed my attention. His warm personality and love of traditional knives had me searching out all his videos and picking up a few new (and expensive (at least to me, then)) slipjoints sporting arrowheads, hot dogs, and clouds. The knives, the people, the KSF videos....basically the hobby...was a little ray of joy in an otherwise gloomy patch of life. Years later, the gloom has passed, but the hobby remains and serves as a reminder of how simple pleasures in life--as well as goodhearted people--can make a difference in the way we persist through trials. I'll always remember Derrick for that. I never met him and he never knew me, but I'm sure obliged to him.
Thanks for sharing that. Derrick’s videos definitely showed an enthusiasm for pocket knives that was infectious. I’m glad you are are in better place now.
y6IBZbb.jpg

I can’t believe it’s been a year already. I was cleaning up some old paperwork and found some of the Christmas cards he hand wrote and sent out. You are missed, Derrick.

Man. I don't know if I can get hyped for this one. Looks to be the same bolster pattern as the main run. IMO a blade that looks and functions worse than the muskrat. Kudu bone is cool stuff, and other cover options might be fun, but... I don't know. I'm sure they'll still sell like hotcakes.

Thanks for the heads up D, I will be watching from the sidelines for this one myself. Good luck to everyone who wants one.:thumbsup:

Back