Lionsteel ROK - New M390 Blade Lionsteel Solid Knife

All the ROK models including Titanium, Aluminum and Damascus are in stock at GP Knives and I'm sure pretty sure soon at BladeHQ and KnifeCenter.

Wish it had a 2.99" blade length to make it legal in more places.

Love the Damascus ones.

rok_damascus.jpg

I'm digging this blade. I just need to decide aluminum or titanium. I like the black

That clip is the first real innovation in years.

All the old guard deserves to die. I am talking to you benchmade, zt/Kershaw, spyderco.
Same old sh*t year after year. NO innovation.

Lionsteel rocks.

How's the clip retention while clipped to pocket?
Not that great honestly, the knife is big and heavy enough it will sit still but if you were to bend forwards enough, it will slide out. Haven't tried running with it or anything like that. I hope they keep evolving the concept to get a better working clip in the future as I do like the feature.
How is the action? I read it was kind of stiff and not smooth.
It was extremely stiff when I got it. The flipper and frame lock hurt my fingers when fidling with the knife, but I'm glad to say that right now it's become pretty smooth. I did open up the knife and cleaned it (except for the stopping pin, not sure how to remove that in this knife, it's my first integral and didn't feel like messing about too much). The action isn't as great as my We Knives or Reate but it isn't the worst either. Interestingly, the knife flips out with more authority when using my left hand it seems. No idea why that is.

So yeah, on day one I though this knife was going to be thrown into a case not to be used that much because of the action on it. But I remembered when I first got a Sebenza and it hurting my thumbs and how smooth it is now.
I quite love the knife at this point. It just feels great in the hand ergonomically. The action could be a bit smoother still but it's good enough. The clip could certainly have better retention and I'd like to see the clip fit completely flush in the frame. Maybe add a bit of gimping on the flipper, also it doesn't need to be removable for me. I love the looks of it and the size. I tend to carry smaller more gentlemenly folders. It's pretty big but a tad smaller than most bigger knives and an excellent fit for me.

Ill add a quick video of me flipping the knife with my weaker left hand for reference I guess

That clip is the first real innovation in years.

All the old guard deserves to die. I am talking to you benchmade, zt/Kershaw, spyderco.
Same old sh*t year after year. NO innovation.

Lionsteel rocks.
Well to be fair, it would be pretty difficult for every major company to come up with something like this every single year.

Just wanted to reiterate how strong the lockbar action is on my standard Ti model. Finger was very sore after two days of frequent deployment. Thumb also gets sore trying to open the lockside to close the knife. Action has mildly smoothed out but the lockbar on mine just has that Ronnie Coleman strength. I tried adding some oil to the detent with minimal benefit.
Seems like there’s just not enough cutaway on the lockbar relief. There’s also some burrs and unfinished tool marks on the inside of the handle.

Clip is like reported, very weak. Knife is heavy and I’m not sure what activity would do it but running or something could definitely make it fall out. There’s nothing on the inside of the clip to grip your pants. I’m sure it’s fine for 90% of us regardless.

Blade shape and steel are awesome. No complaints. Cut open some cardboard with relative ease. Might have too thick of a bladestock for more slicing tasks.

The knife is literally a rock in your hands. It’s as solid as any knife can feel when deployed.

The sound, if that matters to you is very muted. You’re not going to get any sort of Rassenti Integral handle lockup sound if that’s what you’re hoping for. (I was). It’s about 50% as loud as my average frame locking knife.

I’m still on the fence. I love the design and aesthetics of the knife but the deployment is bumming me out so far. Hopefully it breaks in more. I’ll be sure to update if it does.

I’m also curious if any aluminum users have an easier time With their deployment.

I really like the way this knife looks, especially the Damascus blade. Don't really like damasteel performance compared to m390. Weird description on Lionsteel website says the Damascus model is also m390. I have never heard of that, so I'm guessing it's standard damasteel. M390 Damascus would be sweet though...

Am I right thinking that if I'm actually going to use this knife I'd be better off with the m390? The grey titanium one looks pretty nice in pictures, how does it look in hand?

Thanks

Last edited:
why did this have to come out in a year i vowed only to buy fixed blade knives.
The humanity......

Back