List of GEC knives and if they have half stops, and lengths

Anyone know how GEC determines which knife will have a half stop and which won't? I think i saw somewhere that if it has a rounded bolster there will be no half stop, but that is certainly not the case!

Added the #77.

Anyone know how GEC determines which knife will have a half stop and which won't? I think i saw somewhere that if it has a rounded bolster there will be no half stop, but that is certainly not the case!

I think it depends on whether or not half stops are traditional to the pattern. When it goes either way and not requested by an SFO then who knows.

I love this list! Thanks for keeping it alive. I didn't see the #63 on here so I figured I'd mention it. It has a half stop.

I love this list! Thanks for keeping it alive. I didn't see the #63 on here so I figured I'd mention it. It has a half stop.

Thanks, I'll add it :) I also edited the #65 entry under "no half stop". I have a lockback labeled as the #65 but I believe GEC now refers to them as the #64.

Thanks, I'll add it :) I also edited the #65 entry under "no half stop". I have a lockback labeled as the #65 but I believe GEC now refers to them as the #64.

The #65 lockbacks are different from the #64. The bolster on the #65 has the copperhead shape while the #64 is straight. Otherwise they are the same.

Of course, I could be wrong! :)

The difference between the Tidioute and Northfield on the #64 is just the guard and grooved bolster.

You're right about the bolsters... I totally forgot about that. The swing guard on the Northfields would just not work with the copperhead bolsters of the #65. Thanks again :)

The next one on the list is the #38. I don't currently have one on order... Maybe a 2 blade version with clip/coping if they offer it, but right now I'm guessing the 3 blade whittler version will be the same like the other whittlers, no half stop on main with half stop on the secondaries.

Hmm, that is interesting... My 2 have 2 thin springs and could be the pics you're talking about. Anyone else with some #89s?

Don't know if this has been settled in the last 10 months, but I just received a Northfield #89 Gambler and it does not have half stops on either blade. It's an 891212

Don't know if this has been settled in the last 10 months, but I just received a Northfield #89 Gambler and it does not have half stops on either blade. It's an 891212

I have since bought another Gambler and it doesn't have half stops either. Mine are both single spring. It could be a variation over the two runs.

I have since bought another Gambler and it doesn't have half stops either. Mine are both single spring. It could be a variation over the two runs.

That could very well be it... The single spring design is different than the whittler design. The whittler design has the 2 thin springs with the main blade riding on both springs and the secondaries each riding on their own spring. The 440C version like below also has the 2 thin springs (without the wedge between the springs like on the whittler) so it would make sense that the spring/secondary designs are the same. The single solid spring versions must have been designed without the half stops. Now I wonder if they had planned to make the 440C versions of whittlers but changed their minds sometime afterwards.

How about a dedicated thread (to be updated regularly) listing GEC's knives with and without half stops? I'll update the first post as new info is posted.

To be confirmed:
#57 Wrangler
#74 Cotton Sampler

#57 Wrangler - No half stops

Thanks Mike!! I updated the list. Btw, do you remember if the #74 Cotton Sampler had half stops? I'm leaning towards yes as the other #74s do but I never held one nor do I know anyone who has.

Thanks Mike!! I updated the list. Btw, do you remember if the #74 Cotton Sampler had half stops? I'm leaning towards yes as the other #74s do but I never held one nor do I know anyone who has.

I don't "remember" anything older than a few hours; and that tidbit of information is not on one of the thousands of sticky notes surrounding me nor in my years of email archives ;)

Thanks to Wolfeknives for confirming the #74 Cotton Sampler has half stops.

I added a place holder for the #18s. Will they be scaled down #56 Doglegs without half stops or scaled down #55s Houndstooths with them?

what about the #65 farm & field fish knife? same as the other #65s? slip joint i should've said.
thanks, Neal

Back