List of GEC knives and if they have half stops, and lengths

I'm new to traditionals and curious. What's the significance of with/without half stops? Why is this an important distinction between models? Coming in from outer space, I would've thought lock back or no, to be at least as important a distinction. Why not? Just trying to understand.

You can now update that the #18 Coyote does indeed have half stops.

:thumbup:

what about the #65 farm & field fish knife? same as the other #65s? slip joint i should've said.
thanks, Neal
Yep, the Farm Field and Fish (FFF) #65 does have half stops. Same lengths too. The difference being the FFF is a shadow pattern, no bolsters, and is made with 420HC stainless steel.

I'm new to traditionals and curious. What's the significance of with/without half stops? Why is this an important distinction between models? Coming in from outer space, I would've thought lock back or no, to be at least as important a distinction. Why not? Just trying to understand.

Its mostly a preference thing. A knife with a half stop will stop half way between open and closed. These blades typically have square tangs. Some people like them as they can "catch" the blade before it closes fully so the blade doesn't close on your fingers as a little extra force would be required to pass the squared corner. Others don't like them because on knife with strong back springs it can make the blade hard to open or even pull the blade out of your fingers if you don't have a good grip.

The alternative is a cam or rounded tang. These, in my experience, require a little less force to open/close and typically have a smoother, more consistent, opening/closing feel.

Also, its usually easy to tell if a knife is a lockback just by looking at it where as you can't really tell with a slip joint without taking a look at the tang or handling it. Lockbacks typically don't have half stops either.

You can now update that the #18 Coyote does indeed have half stops.

:thumbup:

Thanks :) Added the update. The #18 Beagle will probably have half stops too but I'll hold off until folks have them in hand.

What a great thread thanks so much Trand.:thumbup: I am going to print a copy of the list and add it to the notebook I am making for quick reference on knives. I belong to other knife forums but the knowledge and willingness to share it by the members here keep me coming back 99.9% of the time.

I have 2 #18 Beagles and can confirm that they have half-stops.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wanted to bring this back up to the top for those that don't know about it. I use this thread for reference quite a bit.

I don't know enough to update it myself but maybe it could be updated by someone who knows. Not sure if the OP is still around.

Wanted to bring this back up to the top for those that don't know about it. I use this thread for reference quite a bit.

I don't know enough to update it myself but maybe it could be updated by someone who knows. Not sure if the OP is still around.
Good idea, David. I've been subscribed to this thread for a few years and I refer back to it every now and then. It's a very useful reference tool when I need it.

2Dead still pops in here occasionally.

The missing ones are:
#14 Lick Creek, Boy’s Knife
3 1/16 closed
2 3/8 main
Half Stops

#35 Drover, Harness Jack, Churchill
3 3/4 closed
2 11/16 main
No Half Stops

#44 Buffalo Jack
3 1/2 closed
2 7/8 main
Half Stops

Last edited:

Its good to know this is still of use!! I had stopped updating it partially because I haven't bought many new knives to update with and that dealers started posting this info on their sites as well.

Good idea, David. I've been subscribed to this thread for a few years and I refer back to it every now and then. It's a very useful reference tool when I need it.

2Dead still pops in here occasionally.

Pop :p:D

The missing ones are:
#14 Lick Creek, Boy’s Knife
3 1/16 closed
2 3/8 main
Half Stops

#35 Drover, Harness Jack, Churchill
3 3/4 closed
2 11/16 main
No Half Stops

#44 Buffalo Jack
3 1/2 closed
2 7/8 main
Half Stops

Thanks Mike, I updated both posts.

I also removed the table with the broken formatting in post 3 and changed it to something similar, just separated by asterisks.

Back