Maine Axes -post 'em up

Any ideas who made this 2.5lb head for B&D? It's a great head.

An unexpected twist: Kelly made axes for Bigelow & Dowse in the New England, Maine, and Wedge patterns, etc., according to this article from 1890:

A carload of Axes has recently been shipped by the Kelly Axe Mfg Company, Louisville Ky, to Bigelow & Dowse, Boston Mass, their New England agents. This lot of Axes consisted of an assortment of New England, Maine, and Wedge Pattern Single Bits, Perfect Double Bits, Boys Axes, and Men's Handled Axes. The car containing them was placarded liberally with a handsome poster illustrating the Axes and calling attention to the New England agency the regular use of these posters being in connection with the sale of the goods by Bigelow & Dowse. This poster gives illustrations of the Kelly Perfect Axe which is made under recent patents showing it double bitted and in the Maine and New England patterns single bit. It is an interesting and suggestive fact to find New England in this manner drawing on Kentucky for Axes and at the same time it illustrates the enterprise with which the manufacturers are putting on the market this important line of goods.

content

from The Iron Age, January 2, 1890, page 29

I still feel like a Maine maker made it based on the markings. I have seen them before I just can't place them. I'll try to look through my old pics for a style match.

An unexpected twist: Kelly made axes for Bigelow & Dowse in the New England, Maine, and Wedge patterns, etc., according to this article from 1890:

A carload of Axes has recently been shipped by the Kelly Axe Mfg Company, Louisville Ky, to Bigelow & Dowse, Boston Mass, their New England agents. This lot of Axes consisted of an assortment of New England, Maine, and Wedge Pattern Single Bits, Perfect Double Bits, Boys Axes, and Men's Handled Axes. The car containing them was placarded liberally with a handsome poster illustrating the Axes and calling attention to the New England agency the regular use of these posters being in connection with the sale of the goods by Bigelow & Dowse. This poster gives illustrations of the Kelly Perfect Axe which is made under recent patents showing it double bitted and in the Maine and New England patterns single bit. It is an interesting and suggestive fact to find New England in this manner drawing on Kentucky for Axes and at the same time it illustrates the enterprise with which the manufacturers are putting on the market this important line of goods.

content

from The Iron Age, January 2, 1890, page 29

Thanks Steve,
This is amazing info.... Now we "ONLY" need Kelly, and Bigelow & Dowse catalogs from 19th century. :)
I am curious when Kelly started making Rockaway axes.

Back