Mass drop knives

anyway, im sure i could go on. but this is the major issues. Overall it looks like they just accepted the prototype as was without any criticism to keep the price low obviously to make some profit of course.

I kind of like the falcon, size wise and most of the design. That said, I don't really disagree with anything that you say and I actually stripped a torx bit today on the crux. The crux, and the falcon to some extent, feel like unfinished ideas.

The falcon with it's size has a lot more use to me though. The Crux, in my one day impression, is kind of a bore. It's not a bad knife, just the clip sucks, but it's rather sterile. I guess I should have seen that coming.

Reactions: Mo2
And here's a meh pic of it with it's little brother and the knives I generally carry.

97mrlw.jpg

and the reason why this probably won't be carried much

mrpa92.jpg

I find the “plainness”of the Crux quite appealing. Then again, I’m still waiting for it.

Yeah, I like the simplicity of the Crux - I just wasn't willing to buy a 2nd knife from an unknown collab site unseen and wait several months.

So my hold up on modding my Falcon are these reports of soft hardware and threadlock. Since my warranty will be gone I don't want to screw (groan) myself. I'm also afraid I could mess up centering, introduce blade play, etc.

IMO, they need to come up with a new clip design and provide it gratis, upon request, to all purchasers. It's a major failing that isn't easily correctable by the end user.

Besides the clip and some bite to the lockbar (like the falcon) there isn't really anything wrong with it. I am in the for the gent as well so we'll see. I probably would have skipped the Crux if I knew the Gent was coming.

Yeah, I like the simplicity of the Crux - I just wasn't willing to buy a 2nd knife from an unknown collab site unseen and wait several months.

So my hold up on modding my Falcon are these reports of soft hardware and threadlock. Since my warranty will be gone I don't want to screw (groan) myself. I'm also afraid I could mess up centering, introduce blade play, etc.

IMO, they need to come up with a new clip design and provide it gratis, upon request, to all purchasers. It's a major failing that isn't easily correctable by the end user.

I wouldn't be too worried about messing up centering and the like. The dis/re assembly is actually a no brainer once you get past the locktite. I used a hair dryer right from the start, and still destroyed a couple of torx bits. But the screw hardware shows no damage. I've stripped more than my share of cheap hardware in the past. And even with super cheap and soft tools. I would say this stuff is on or above par. My first bit completely sheered off at the top of the screw. The second one ripped the teeth off. Since the screws showed no damage, I went at it one more time after leaving heat on longer. That did the trick.

So if inclined to mod it, go for it. If made right, the centering and lockup fall right back in place once it's all cinched back up again. I plan on doing more when I get some time. For the price, I think these are some of the best plain Ti canvases to work with. I don't like experimenting on $300 knives. But with these, I'm willing to take a shot.

For the price, I think these are some of the best plain Ti canvases to work with. I don't like experimenting on $300 knives. But with these, I'm willing to take a shot.

That’s what I was thinking when I joined the drop. My Falcon is a really excellent specimen, so far as Falcons go (perfect action & centering, beautiful grind, etc). It really doesn’t have a niche in my EDC though. As such, it’s stayed in the box since photographing as I still haven’t decided to to sell it or use it for my first home pimping. I think it would look awesome after a Scotchbrite and 9V anno. That’s one of the reasons the too-light surface blasting doesn’t put me off. bflying bflying showd the possibilities with his clip & backspacer.

The Crux is definately more my style. I would have passed on the Falcon if the Crux came first. (Apologies if I already said that somewhere above.)

Ok, after about 1min with some 240 it looks like the pic below, I'm kinda digging the distressed look of it. Opinions, thoughts? The sandblast is so light I swear you could probably rub it off with your fingers.

Z4Y2HVrl.jpg

Mine was built with no locktite and was easy to disassemble with two torx drivers on either side of the pivot. Also, mine was clean as a whistle - no grit, no lube everywhere.

I Icehawk

I like it. I actually tumbled mine for a day and a half. But I like the look of yours better. So I'll be doing mine over it looks like. Trying to decide on more of the distressed look, or a full polish, and then stonewashed again.

Glad you guys like it too, I think I needed some validation on it :D I'd love to have the clip and backspacer anodized and given a similar worn/tumbled look too. For now I'm leaving those two pieces untouched for some contrast.

Just reassembled the knife, wow that was easy and it works perfectly. Whew.

dEuQdZWl.jpg

Last edited:
The only other comment I have on the Crux after a few more days is that the action is pretty much perfect. At least to what I like

Glad you guys like it too, I think I needed some validation on it :D I'd love to have the clip and backspacer anodized and given a similar worn/tumbled look too. For now I'm leaving those two pieces untouched for some contrast.

Just reassembled the knife, wow that was easy and it works perfectly. Whew.

dEuQdZWl.jpg
Nice Look! I like the way it "ghost" highlights the edges of the frame. I think it would look great with a heavy stonewash or maybe a light acid wash on the blade.

My Crux arrived today.
This one is a keeper!!!
I’m still on the fence with the Falcon and it may need to find a new home. The Crux is here to stay.

I’ll carry it for a bit, then post a review someplace.

Last edited:
My Crux arrived today.
This one is a keeper!!!
I’m still on the fence with the Falcon and it may need to find a new home. The Crux is here to stay.

I’ll carry it for a bit, then post a review someplace.

Heh, I was the direct opposite. Love the Falcon but ended up selling the Crux right after I got it. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice knife but I just didn't feel it offered anything over what I already have so I didn't think it would get any pocket time. Plus I needed the cash for a couple of other irons I have in the fire.

Few things I just learned. Ferrum forge just said they will not be making any new types of clips. The people who have contacted MD about bent clips is less than 2% so it's not a design issue. MD will replace them under warranty. I think alot of folks need to submit there issues for this to be a bigger problem.

Also here's the one for January...

Screenshot_2017-11-17-11-51-22.png

Screenshot_2017-11-17-11-51-26.png

To me they all look the same. Bland. With different blade styles. The gent is a bit different.

The falcon is a small knife that is comfortable with a good blade, the crux is pretty generic but good for the money (besides the clip) and the gent is priced super well while looking like it carries well. So I can come up for something for all of them...that one just kind of seems like a knife that should have some flair and doesn't. At this point maybe something a bit more expensive but more interesting would be a better play. WE certainly knows how to produce things with interesting colors/materials.

Here's the official response from Massdrop concerning the Falcon/Crux clip. I think this is excellent customer service. Massdrop appears to be handling this issue the right way and I give them a thumbs-up! Jonas just posted the following:

"Hey everyone,
We wanted to provide some additional context to the conversation around the pocket clips on the Falcon (which is the same design as used on Crux).
We’ve been reading comments here in the discussion and monitoring the support requests for this drop closely, and have found the total number of clip-related claims is under 0.5% for 2500+ knives delivered.
While the data doesn’t show us there is a widespread problem with the design, we recognize that members were looking for a bit more flexibility.
So, based on your feedback, we’ll be taking the following actions:
1) Introduce a modified clip design on upcoming releases of Ferrum Forge Falcon, Crux, and any future models that are designed to be compatible with this clip style beginning in 2018.
2) Make replacement clips available for purchase, also beginning in early 2018. We hope to sell them for $20 or less, and to keep them in stock if there’s continued interest.
3) Provide a $5 credit toward the purchase of a replacement clip for anyone who purchased a Falcon or Crux with original clip design. Credits will be given automatically to any members who join the first drop for replacement clips, in the form of a refund issued when the drop ends.
Thanks to everyone for helping to make a great knife even better. We’ll send an email to everyone who’s purchased a Falcon when the updated clips are available. Here's a rough preview and comparison of the old/new designs:
YbM6MNzlRPK8KCUR1EjL_Screen%20Shot%202017-11-17%20at%2012.49.58%20PM.png

CC: (links removed) and I probably missed a couple more folks too, so feel free to tag a friend if you were chatting about clips and don't see them here."

Thank you, Massdrop!

I have zero issue paying for a new clip. The pricing on these knives is outstanding for the materials used, plus looking at who made and designed them.

Back