Micarta Modern Folders

I saw that. You need to enter a contest (should be easy enough) but it's only available at the Benchmade site.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/announcing-the-15085dlc-1801.1584054/

I entered Benchmade's silly contest, which, as I understood, gave me the privilege of purchasing the new limited edition micarta-handled mini crooked river after June 15th. It's the 16th and as far as I can tell my special privileges have not yet been bestowed. I've been on the website and logged-in...nothing. I even attempted to use the website's chat feature and was shut down. What gives? Did they mean that the special day will come on an undetermined date in the future, some time after June 15th? I will stay tuned...just don't want to be the dude who missed out:(

Here are couple of mine in micarta. Spyderco Southard with a liner-delete python micarta presentation side:

9Mlo4Ty.jpg

Buck Vantage Large, SK blades micarta + CPM-20CV version), dyed deep red, waxed and polished, then stripped back until the texture showed again:

AGeZCeA.jpg

Here are couple of mine in micarta. Spyderco Southard with a liner-delete python micarta presentation side:

9Mlo4Ty.jpg

Buck Vantage Large, SK blades micarta + CPM-20CV version), dyed deep red, waxed and polished, then stripped back until the texture showed again:

AGeZCeA.jpg
Love that Buck. What did you use to dye it? RIT?

Love that Buck. What did you use to dye it? RIT?

Yup, RIT DyeMore liquid dye. Natural micarta takes dye very easily, so I didn't bother with the whole pot-on-the-stove routine. I just poured some of the liquid dye into a solo cup, filled it most of the rest of the way with water, stirred it with the Vantage scales and then left it standing outside for four hours.

If you want a lighter shade, pull them every half hour, wash them off with water and see how they're looking. I've done blue, red and green with various cloth micartas and haven't had any issues.

The Vantage scales were a bit rough around the edges, so I lightly sanded them first but that's not required to get the dye to take. Afterwards I gave them a light coating of Kiwi neutral shoe polish and buffed them lightly with a rotary tool until they went glossy, but they were getting so smooth that the texture disappeared, so I decided to strip them down until it showed again by buffing aggressively with some more of the polish on a dry paper towel, by hand.

The knife actually looks much nicer in person than it does in that photo, I'll try to snap a better photo later.

Yup, RIT DyeMore liquid dye. Natural micarta takes dye very easily, so I didn't bother with the whole pot-on-the-stove routine. I just poured some of the liquid dye into a solo cup, filled it most of the rest of the way with water, stirred it with the Vantage scales and then left it standing outside for four hours.

If you want a lighter shade, pull them every half hour, wash them off with water and see how they're looking. I've done blue, red and green with various cloth micartas and haven't had any issues.

The Vantage scales were a bit rough around the edges, so I lightly sanded them first but that's not required to get the dye to take. Afterwards I gave them a light coating of Kiwi neutral shoe polish and buffed them lightly with a rotary tool until they went glossy, but they were getting so smooth that the texture disappeared, so I decided to strip them down until it showed again by buffing aggressively with some more of the polish on a dry paper towel, by hand.

The knife actually looks much nicer in person than it does in that photo, I'll try to snap a better photo later.

Copied for later reference. You did a great job. Love the look of it.

Back