Micro Bawanna Bowie Folder concept.

Doghouse,
That Warwood is heavier that you think. Its not carbon fiber. Its made from Corn cells so it Natural and all of that good stuff!

How many do you want to make.
If you make a few I would do one in three or for different handle materials and then the fun starts with testing.

It's great seeing this project unfold. Wish I had the tools and skills to work with metal.

I'd love to have a folder like this, and I'm sure others would also. However, the amount of time and detail work you're putting into it would seem to make that impractical.

Maybe when the prototype is finished you can figure out how it can be simplified and perhaps made by the kamis using their tools and techniques. What they lack in facilities they can perhaps make up for in decades of experience with making knives and tools.

Doghouse,
That Warwood is heavier that you think. Its not carbon fiber. Its made from Corn cells so it Natural and all of that good stuff!

How many do you want to make.
If you make a few I would do one in three or for different handle materials and then the fun starts with testing.
No doubt that material would work. I thought you meant for the frame material when you mentioned it earlier. Id feel safe using any of that stuff since it would be cosmetic only. I still like the ivory stuff.

It's great seeing this project unfold. Wish I had the tools and skills to work with metal.

I'd love to have a folder like this, and I'm sure others would also. However, the amount of time and detail work you're putting into it would seem to make that impractical.

Maybe when the prototype is finished you can figure out how it can be simplified and perhaps made by the kamis using their tools and techniques. What they lack in facilities they can perhaps make up for in decades of experience with making knives and tools.

Like anything this is the first one and I figured it would take many hours of labor to complete and it has so far. Once I build the first one the next one will take much less time to build and so on. I feel pretty sure the Kamis could do a simple slip joint folder and probably hammer out and pin everything with the crude tools they have. It would have been much easier if the blade was made from the beginning for the purpose of a folder instead of having to work around the pin holes and such but i aint ready to hammer out an AKB yet:D

39a2c4a940b64e102b47a92501d7902e

Today I cut a relief for the pivot pin so it can be recessed a bit and give me more thread engagement. The hardware seems a bit small in general for this size of knife so I went with titanium.

86e57736023266875097121a995eb3ab

I also recessed the frame for the pivot pin itself to seat in when its all clamped down. Hopefully minimizing slop. Slops not good here...less of course your a steel pig:rolleyes:

f89288ff9886ce0d2221f4a04c80ed87

Came out pretty nice I think. Next the dreaded lock lever gets cut out. That should be fun!

Last edited:
1ca310626ed3d49370e6848732fdb5f4

Bandsaw made butter out of that piece of 1084. Im liking that tool:thumbup: That would have been a lot of hacksaw blades and even more new four letter words if I had to do that by hand.

e8b800c35cf45223ad384c02478c6bdf

Now I need to bend this to the shape of that line. Time to torch it.

092dd156ef1209fe094c7bfc7c51486d

Close enough.

59b06ad903d6f2d5e5e1795281f2ec8b

Now after a bit of sanding time to poke a hole in it. Locking lever is now fitted to the frame. I still need to cut some material out to make the notch that locks into the blade and remove some extraneous meat. This is the critical part. If I remove too much anywhere its trash.

so coool-- and yes bookie, I am the official forum zombie, as I was dead but am now risen, I will stay leashed to HI forum and never leave into the other dark places of the forum !

this is awesome dog, you have put loads of good work here and made a unique and awesome knife in the process

I am continually impressed by your work on this unique custom folder. You'll have to upgrade your membership level to "Knife Maker". ;)

Looking forward to see an in-hand photo at this stage, since it's easy to underestimate the size of this beast.

I saw that remark about steel pigs, Ndog! For a moment I thought you was talking about my first Momma In Law. Or was it the 4th? Oh, well. When you get the bugs worked out, everybody with the name Steve gets a free one, right, mate?

I saw that remark about steel pigs, Ndog! For a moment I thought you was talking about my first Momma In Law. Or was it the 4th? Oh, well. When you get the bugs worked out, everybody with the name Steve gets a free one, right, mate?

Heck yeah! Might not be anytime real soon but id sure love to do a few more? Your the godfather to this one ya know! Its got your gold in its bones:thumbup:
Pic coming up Steve (the other Steve). I screwed up and drilled the hole for the lock lever all caddywhompus. I have a dumpsterdove drill press too:D It apparently was never set up to drill square to the base and like a dummy i didnt think to check it. Got that fixed now. At least when I get done with this folder ill have my tools all set up like they should be. Dont know about the "Knife Maker" yet? I can sure tell them guys what NOT to do. They prolly already been there tho.

Coming along fine. It's a prototype, don't rush it.

Sincerely

Steve

ST not SB silly sir! He already said i was ugly! We aint talkin till maybe tomorrow. Maybe even the next day.

Ndog, I am impressed! That looks really wicked in the hand. Maybe even looks good..for an ugly kid. In all seriousness, you should be proud of this project seeing how it is turning out. Can't wait to see the completed knife. Would also bet the kamis will be highly interested in this and would like to see their reaction. Good job, amigo.

Thanks! That's a handful, in a good way, secure grip and all.

If Bawanna offers to checker the scales, maybe you should send him the scales before you install them. ;)
Ha! You aint lying! The whole thing will probably weigh two pounds:eek: Hmmm? Wonder how removable scales would work out? That may be a great idea after all. Ill have to think on that. There is definitely enough brass underneath to secure them.

Ndog, I am impressed! That looks really wicked in the hand. Maybe even looks good..for an ugly kid. In all seriousness, you should be proud of this project seeing how it is turning out. Can't wait to see the completed knife. Would also bet the kamis will be highly interested in this and would like to see their reaction. Good job, amigo.
Well lets hope it ends up better looking than I. Well both be shiny on the top:D If it ends up good looking as Bawanna we'll have a winner:p Yes id love to see the Kamis face when he sees it. It would be cool if they could make a run of them. I had to make the lever lock over last night because it was too thin on one end.

922013e44b8ec8bb6d72a166ef46930c

I didnt bother heating and bending tho. I just cut it out like its supposed to be. I just realized I dont have a bench vice of any kind. Gonna have to rig something up for the next step.

d67207ec223c3f7fb320d021443d82e4

Bura folder:thumbup: It can be done!

Last edited:
If you got the right tap and could tap that brass you could use a 1911 grip bushing and have removable grips. You wouldn't have to take the whole thing apart if you wanted to switch them out, ya know from every day to sunday go to meeting and such.

Whats a grip bushing? ill look it up but that sounds like a great idea:thumbup: I would think you coud do it the same way you do handgun grips.

edit.. ok brownells has them. so id thread the brass and to install them counterbore the underside of the scales. Then you just screw them down. Your genious:thumbup: Thank you! Sounds like a plan!

Couldnt you just drill and tap the brass? Wouldnt that do the same. Then you would not need to counter bore underneath the scales. Maybe it keeps them aligned better with the larger diameter.

Last edited:
It gives the grip a lot more shear strength if you use a bushing which you probably don't really need.

But if you take them on and off often and bugger up the threads you can replace the bushing and your brand new.

Plus a bushing gives you a lot more bearing threads than whatever the thickness of the brass is, more difficult to strip the threads.
The bushing being steel.

Counter boring for the bushing and screw head is a pain and one of the most challenging part of making grips.

Often wished I could get a proper drill countersink setup that would give me the perfect size and depth instead of eye balling with a drill stand and a dremel router bit. Save a ton of time.

Back