Military Clasp Knives

Fausto that is a really smart looking knife. True to the original pattern . Could you please email me a link to the source ?
cheers.

only marking "M.I." over "40", and "70"; opposite sides of spike base. Still has a robust snap.

mi40_70_zpsb21b12d7.jpg

clasp knife:

knife02_zps483b9529.jpg

& a question- I see new clasp knives etched "Rodgers" on the blade, stainless w/composition scales; anyone own one?
-thanks

Last edited:
Another great pic gr8dismal :thumbup:

I have an HM Slater clasp knife. A little smaller than the 1939 pattern so I assume later. I'd forgotten they're still in business when I was looking for my lambsfoot. Rather unhelpful website, with most things un-illustrated and the illustrations not labeled. (What's a Yankee pocketknife, I wonder?)
Actually the same size, though no bolster, and blade stamped 1951 (might be a clew).
PmYy5IYF

I bought a couple of these knives years ago. Gave one to a nephew. Still have the other. It looks like the top knife in scrteened porch’s picture. Ugly as sin. Nail breaking blades. (I just broke a nail on the can opener, to prove it.) The covers have blister making sharp corners. A nice concept, badly executed.

The marlinspike on the Army knife is supposed to have been used to pry stones from horse's hooves. But it would be useful for digging and prying and any rough stuff you didn't want to use a blade for.

I saw one of these knives on some Midsomer_Murders show. Barnaby said, “A Lewis knife. No soldier leaves home without one.”

I’ve never figured out who Lewis was.

Anyone ever try the modern British army ones from Sheffield? Look like a nice evolution of these older ones.

Forum member Vanguard bought one about 6 months ago, said he was very pleased with it. They're certainly less cumbersome and gnarly, and stainless for those who like stainless. The can-opener probably works better too. Not sure how comfortable they'd be for heavy duty without covers though.

That's very interesting S-K, not seen one like that before. It's a nice example too :)

I still have to get one of the Slaters. They have the combo cap-lifter/can-opener. They also have them in all stainless or with handle covers. If I'm reading their primitive website correctly. They seem to call these army pen knives.

I still have to get one of the Slaters. They have the combo cap-lifter/can-opener. They also have them in all stainless or with handle covers. If I'm reading their primitive website correctly. They seem to call these army pen knives.

It's terrible isn't it?!

Eggington Group are still making them with the Rodgers name on.

I just discovered j Adams, who have several, as well as a green river deck knife like fes's. And a website that won't make one weep.

I just discovered j Adams, who have several, as well as a green river deck knife like fes's. And a website that won't make one weep.

Yes, some interesting things on that site. I believe that Jack Adams is the oldest working grinder in Sheffield.

I don´t actually know if it´s military, but it´s a clasp knife ;)

It´s an all-steel construction and made by Gräfrath, Solingen. The company became later the better known cutlery "Hubertus".

tang stamp

That's an interesting knife Andi, thanks for the pics :)

I had a good score the other day Jack, I have just received a Clasp knife - although not Military ( I think ) with only the spike and blade, it turned out quite nice ( I have had it soaking in a Mineral oil bath ) - it has very finely stamped I*XL GOERGE WOSTENHOLM SHEFFIELD ENGLAND.

I had a good score the other day Jack, I have just received a Clasp knife - although not Military ( I think ) with only the spike and blade, it turned out quite nice ( I have had it soaking in a Mineral oil bath ) - it has very finely stamped I*XL GOERGE WOSTENHOLM SHEFFIELD ENGLAND.

That's a coincidence Duncan, I saw one of these Wostenholm's in the market the other day, from 1943. It was quite nice, and I would have snapped it up in an instant, but there was almost nothing left of the blade, not much more than a spike. The guy selling it has had it on his stall a few weeks as the price is unrealistic considering the lack of blade. Hope yours is in better shape my friend :thumbup:

The merchant (surplus shop) claims these could be authentic Bundeswehr navy knives, but notes they are sold as replicas. I have seen these and the quality seems to be good. Might make a nice inexpencive clasp knife.

20317.jpg

Copied from the merchant's website:

"Traditional German navy knife with Marlinspike. This is either genuine issue stuff, or a remarkable reproduction, but in any case a good tool for an affordable price.

In all honesty we can't tell if this is issue or not. The packaging is by Mil-Tec, but that's as far as it goes. Very slight signs of wear is found on the plastic side panels with "BUND" embedded on one side, "stainless made in China" is nowhere to be found. The stainless steel blade rather says "TSR Rostfrei" (at least most of these, as TSR is just one manufacturer with a contract) and general quality seems to be on a level not found from Chinese reproduction items.

The blade does not lock and final closure is snappy because of the spring, being as this is from an era when consumers had some responsibility of their own. The knife also features a Marlinspike for ropework, which can be unlocked with a separate latch. A steel retention loop is found in the other end.

Blade length: 8 cm.
Total length: 19 cm.
Folded: 11 cm.
Weight: 135 g.

Factory new or as new. Possibly manufactured by TSR, or Mil-Tec have raised the bar considerably."

IMG_0367.JPG

not really old but only military knife(slipjoint)i own is this Danish army knife M71 made by Solwa(Germany),back spring on main blade was broken and replaced with one from can opener.

The merchant (surplus shop) claims these could be authentic Bundeswehr navy knives, but notes they are sold as replicas. I have seen these and the quality seems to be good. Might make a nice inexpencive clasp knife.

-I have one, and the lever that unlocks the spike flops around constantly/aimlessly at the will of gravity, gets hung up in the pocket, etc.

:thumbdn: :barf: :thumbdn:

Back