1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

MT13P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Elmax

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by tazkristi, Feb 15, 2012.

1. tazkristi

tazkristi Spyderco Moderator Moderator

Apr 20, 2005
    MT13P will be available for sale on Monday, 27-Feb-2012 at 0900 (MST)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $64.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
    International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
    Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
    Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
    Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Elmax:
    Spyderco’s thirteenth Mule Team Project installment uses Elmax steel produced by Böhler-Uddeholm Steel of Kapfenberg, Austria.

Böhler first sold steel in North America in 1925 by providing European-made steels to toolmakers, manufacturing industries and construction jobs in the U.S. Their Elmax is an alloy composed using powdered metallurgic technology that was designed specifically for high-tech applications, primarily for use in the electronics industry. It contains elevated levels of chromium, vanadium-molybdenum that deem it a well-tailored fit for making knife blades. These elements translate into resistance to wear and corrosion and it has a homogenous grain structure making it malleable when grinding and forming.

What is the Mule Team:
    For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Good stuff! thanks for the info!

3. capid1

capid1

Jan 11, 2011
    Nice! ELMAX is a great steel!

4. Maqua

Maqua

Jan 21, 2005
    I reckon I need one of these mmmmmhhh

5. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Awesome. Looks like I will try and work some overtime this week after all. ;)

6. Sithus1966

Sithus1966

Jan 24, 2008
    I guess I can stop looking for what to buy next. :thumbup:

7. EZ Bake

EZ Bake

Mar 5, 2009
    No joke - I've got some Halpert scales already waiting for my first Mulie. ELMAX will be a nice first Mule Team for me.

8. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    Awesome!!! Can't wait to put this one to work next to my M390 Mules!

9. ol_sc

ol_sc

Sep 12, 2011
    Speaking of mules, which steels are everyone's favorites made from?

10. tonysunshine

tonysunshine

Jan 23, 2011
    me too. option 4 for the win

11. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Got the calendar marked. :thumbup:

12. Cynic2701

Cynic2701

Mar 31, 2009
    This looks like a great Mule Team to get on board with. I'm already looking at sheath and handle options.

13. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott

Dec 3, 2010
    Definitely going to get this one. Is this a pre order or is this an actual order for the knife that will be filled soon?

14. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    It's the actual knife, and they usually ship the next day or so.

15. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    If you order early enough, they'll go out that day.

16. jackthedog

jackthedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2009
    That's what happened when I ordered my Cru Wear Mules. I'm excited for this one.

17. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    This will be a really good one. :)

18. MCM

MCM

Feb 9, 2002
    2 Please :thumbup:

Thanks Taz.

19. tazkristi

tazkristi Spyderco Moderator Moderator

Apr 20, 2005
    Please note, I've revised the time on the original post. ;)

20. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    Where are these ones manufactured, out of curiosity?