My Spyderco Delica 4 FFG

Dont count the Dfly out just yet. I have one that I traded for in Zdp steel and I just can't put it down. I wouldn't have ever guessed that would've happened. Keep this thread going. I enjoy keeping up with your progress.

Agreed. I've enjoyed reading the ongoing thoughts and use.

The Dragonfly 2 is a great extremely small knife. I think it makes an excellent back up knife or even the best ultralight carry knife there is. However I agree it is just a little too small. Could you do me a favor and compare the cutting edges of the Delica to Pm2.

Hopefully these show you what you are looking for:

Dont count the Dfly out just yet. I have one that I traded for in Zdp steel and I just can't put it down. I wouldn't have ever guessed that would've happened. Keep this thread going. I enjoy keeping up with your progress.

Words of wisdom.

I actually went as far as putting the HAP40 DF on the trading block, but I thought better of it and decided to keep it and give it a run for pocket time.

Initial thoughts on the PM2 are favorable, but I still want to carry/use it for several more days before I decide if it will replace or share pocket time with the D4.

Here are a few of my impressions so far:
-Two words: compression lock. Isn't this lock amazing? It keeps your fingers out of the path of the blade when closing, it is unobtrusive, easily engaged and disengaged, and is very strong and reliable. I am kind of geeking out about this lock actually. I used to put the frame lock at the top of my favorite locks list, but this compression lock has quickly taken its place. I am totally jazzed about the Sage 5 with a compression lock--that is going to be a SICK blade.
-Smooth. The PM2 opens and closes ultra smooth with no sacrifice to being loosey goosey at the pivot--it is rock solid, but glides open and closed effortlessly.
-Flickability. I know it is somewhat sophomoric, but I am addicted to thumb flicking this baby open. I have tried the middle finger flick, but I must not have the finger coordination for it. I used to get annoyed at people who posted they loved to flick their knives. Well, foot, meet mouth!
-Size. Initially, it felt too large in hand and the forward choil was awkward. But, after a few days of carry and use its size feels appropriate. It is not unwieldy, takes up a fair and acceptable amount of pocket room, and has the right thickness. The blade:handle ratio seemed unbalanced at initial glance, but the created leverage from the longer handle turns out to work for me very well.

Will the PM2 take the role as Pocket King? That remains to be seen. But so far, it is definitely headed in the right direction and is beginning its quest to usurp power from the almighty D4.

Until next post....

Initial thoughts on the PM2 are favorable, but I still want to carry/use it for several more days before I decide if it will replace or share pocket time with the D4.

Here are a few of my impressions so far:
-Two words: compression lock. Isn't this lock amazing? It keeps your fingers out of the path of the blade when closing, it is unobtrusive, easily engaged and disengaged, and is very strong and reliable. I am kind of geeking out about this lock actually. I used to put the frame lock at the top of my favorite locks list, but this compression lock has quickly taken its place. I am totally jazzed about the Sage 5 with a compression lock--that is going to be a SICK blade.
-Smooth. The PM2 opens and closes ultra smooth with no sacrifice to being loosey goosey at the pivot--it is rock solid, but glides open and closed effortlessly.
-Flickability. I know it is somewhat sophomoric, but I am addicted to thumb flicking this baby open. I have tried the middle finger flick, but I must not have the finger coordination for it. I used to get annoyed at people who posted they loved to flick their knives. Well, foot, meet mouth!
-Size. Initially, it felt too large in hand and the forward choil was awkward. But, after a few days of carry and use its size feels appropriate. It is not unwieldy, takes up a fair and acceptable amount of pocket room, and has the right thickness. The blade:handle ratio seemed unbalanced at initial glance, but the created leverage from the longer handle turns out to work for me very well.

Will the PM2 take the role as Pocket King? That remains to be seen. But so far, it is definitely headed in the right direction and is beginning its quest to usurp power from the almighty D4.

Until next post....

MostMenAreRuthless thank you for taking the time to post those pics! This has become one of my favorite threads on BladeForums that I have seen in years. You just convinced me to buy a Delica 4. While I have bought them in the past, I have only carried them a day or so and never warmed up to them. But I am thinking I haven't given them a fair shake at it. So a HAP40 Delica will be on its way (and yes I paid too much for it but I want to try the steel as well). As far as the PM2 goes, years back I would buy them and just not understand the hype. It wasn't until I bought one and actually forced myself to carry it exclusively for a period of time that I recognized just how great of a knife it is. In many ways I prefer the PM2 over my CRKs. I really think if I could only have 1 knife it would be the PM2. I think it strikes the balance of the perfect "one" knife. Big enough to get almost any job done and not too big where you wouldn't want to carry it. After having been in the knife game for many years I find myself preferring smaller, lighter knives nowadays and I value a knife's ability to do what it is made to do...cut things. In my experience knives with Spyderco's FFG are just simply the best slicers out there, more so then my beloved CRKs.

Humint--words of wisdom my friend.

I am out camping at Lava Hot Springs in ID with my family for a fun 4th of July weekend. We are in an RV campground so we aren't exactly roughing it. In fact, this campground has wifi! Anyway, I brought along my PM2 and the Blue D4 to put them to use for some basic camp tasks like preparing tinder and kindling for the fire. I let my 2 daughters take turns each using the PM2 and the Delica. They both enjoyed using them.

A few observations:
--comfort. I much prefer the soft and more organic feel of the FRN scales on the Delica. The edges are rounded enough that they don't cause discomfort under a heavy cut. Also, the pocket clip on the Delica doesn't create any hot spots. The G10 on the PM2 has great grip and inspires confidence, but the edges and clip created a few hot spots for me. However, the ergonomics and the leverage on the PM2 are excellent.

--cutting edge. The PM2 takes the lead with the extra cutting edge length. It felt more secure when using longer strokes that the tip didn't slip off the wood being cut.

--steel/edge retention. I must have issues with S30V because I started out with an edge on the PM2 that could cleanly slice newspaper, but after making tinder from pine blocks for a half hour or so the edge has already deteriorated to the point that it may not even clean slice notebook paper. Since I am camping I didn't bring any kinds of paper to test my theory on though! The VG-10 on the Delica was put through just slightly less work, but the same kind of tasks and the edge is still sticky when I drag my finger crossways on the edge. Maybe I started out with a less superior edge on the PM2, but S30V just hasn't been a friend to me like VG-10 has.

--Alternate tasks that are not cutting. The PM2's spine was quite useful for throwing sparks off a ferro-rod! I also used the knife with the blade closed to help press a tent stake into the ground--I can't tell if I damaged the G10 or if it is just some residue from the tent stake (see mark in pics below).

At any rate, if I had to choose between the PM2 and the Delica as the winner of tonight's contest the victory would favor the Delica.

Here are a few pics of the knives in my tent, at night, with a flashlight as the light source. Not exciting, but at least you see them out of the pocket!

The PM2 use continues on this camping trip and it has been used to cut copious amounts of tinder, cut zip ties, cut/shape/strip some "magic wands" for my kids, etc. At some point, I lost one of the stop pin screws--not sure when or where. I know it was in it today, but it must have fallen out at some point and I didn't notice until it was too late and the screw is lost for good. Does anyone know if Spyderco will send me a set of screws? Or do I need to send it in?

In any case, I have used the PM2, carried it, played with it, and I do believe it will earn a regular spot in my EDC rotation, but I have made the determination that it will not be taking on the role of my pocket king. It is a very capable knife, but the main reason it won't kick it out is the overall size--it is a bit of overkill for the small daily tasks my EDC gets used for. But man, it gave the D4 a RUN for its money.

I have a feeling that when the Sage 5 comes out it is going to be a very strong contender!

Next up to compete with the D4 will be an Orange VG-10 Endura. Given that I think the PM2 is a bit of size overkill I think the Endura is already sort of starting off on the wrong foot, but I will definitely give it a fair shake.

Here are a few pics for your viewing enjoyment:

It would take an extraordinary knife to move the Delica out of my pocket .
For example , today is the first day at work that I haven't carried my Delica Hap40 in a long time .
What did I replace it with , another Delica of course .
I put this ZDP together over the weekend from parts I had laying around , so it's the tool of choice for the next couple of days .

Ken

Mostmenareruthless I am wondering how you compare the small Insingo, your previous long time DDC golden standard to the Delica 4 now that you have had it so long?

I thought I had a stop pin screw laying around for you but it turns out they are pivot screws. Spyderco sent them to me when I lost one of my stop pin screws. Just shoot an email over to Spyderco and tell them what happened and they should send you a screw. Have you tried an ALOX Cadet?

Harronek--I like that orange backspacer--makes it pop against the bag in the background!

Humint--I would like to spend a little more time on answering the Insingo/Delica comparison. In fact, that would make for an interesting long-term review considering how many years I carried the Insingo. In a quick summary--the Insingo is an incredible EDC and if the money isn't an issue and you can afford one I would highly recommend it. Fit, finish, thoughtful design, durability, warranty, etc are unparalleled. That being said, I never felt as though I was "undergunned" or unprepared with having a Delica in my pocket vs a Sebenza. In fact, I often felt I could outslice the Seb any day of the week and twice on Sunday with the Delica.

Techno--thanks for checking on the screw for me. I sent Spyderco an email yesterday--I am sure they will take care of me! Years ago I casually carried an Alox Cadet, but I never could warm up to no pocket clip and no lock.

I like my Endura a little more than my Para2... mainly because the handle is more comfortable and the backlock's closed retention is unequaled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like my Endura a little more than my Para2... mainly because the handle is more comfortable and the backlock's closed retention is unequaled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the feel of the FRN on the Endura vs the G10 on the PM2. The Endura has very tight retention--I know it isn't going to inadvertently going to open.

I just got an FFG Endura and I like it a lot more than I thought I would...it may surprise you OP.

I am going to give it the opportunity to do so!

The Endura has been comfortable to carry and I have been carrying it the same as my PM2--in the right/rear pocket. This sems like a good option for the larger knives and it leaves my front pocket space open for other needs.

The blade was a tad loose and had some side-to-side play so I gently tightened the pivot screw and eliminated the play while keeping the action smooth and acceptably tight. In use, I have noticed just a touch of forward/backward play, but nothing significant to be of concern.

I have used it for a few tasks including slicing up a pizza box, cutting a zip tie on some new gloves, trimming some mock oranges/smoke bushes/Cistena plums, testing sharpness on some unsuspecting newsprint, and it has performed well. I don't find the extra length of the blade to be especially helpful on these given tasks as the shorter blade of the Delica or PM2 would be sufficient, but it also doesn't feel "unwieldy" or overkill for such tasks.

Here are a few pics of its usage thus far:

I agree that I prefer my D4 over my PM2, in fact I rarely carry the Paramilitary these days as it's just a bit too cumbersome in my pocket (the warm weather may have something to do with it). The Dragonfly just isn't big enough for me, and while I LOVE my waved Endura, it's not nearly as easy for me to open/close as the Delica. The two knives I grab over the D4 are my Tasman SE and BM 531. Both light and easy to use, though it really depends on what I have planned for the day. I also can appreciate FRN - I find the G10 on the PM2 slippery at times, though it is a knife you can get lots of leverage on.

I prefer FRN at this point in my life and for me Endura>Native>Delica but you cannot go wrong with any of them. When I first got Spyderbit I remember wanting every FRN model to be G10, and as I have matured and really used Spydies, I now wish every carbon fiber and G10 had an FRN counterpart

I prefer FRN at this point in my life and for me Endura>Native>Delica but you cannot go wrong with any of them. When I first got Spyderbit I remember wanting every FRN model to be G10, and as I have matured and really used Spydies, I now wish every carbon fiber and G10 had an FRN counterpart

Yup +1

Back